great for office work, but sometimes it would be convenient to have
mythfrontend on one screen and still have something important like
solitaire :-) on the other.  However when I launch mythfrontend it
starts up on monitor with the dock bar so I can't launch other programs
once I've start watching mythfrontend.

Short of making mythfrontend windowed, is there a way of launching
mythfrontend to display #2?

Jim A

Re: mythfrontend on a 2 monitor Ubuntu PC [ In reply to ]
On 17/10/2020 11:42, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> I just added a second monitor to our main desktop Ubuntu PC. Obviously
> great for office work, but sometimes it would be convenient to have
> mythfrontend on one screen and still have something important like
> solitaire :-) on the other.  However when I launch mythfrontend it
> starts up on monitor with the dock bar so I can't launch other
> programs once I've start watching mythfrontend.
>
> Short of making mythfrontend windowed, is there a way of launching
> mythfrontend to display #2?
>
> Jim A

I'm on master but I think 31-fixes is similar. The 'Display on screen'
setting should show a list of monitors from which you can choose which
one the frontend with startup on. It's under Appearance -> Theme /
Screen Settings.

Paul H.

Re: mythfrontend on a 2 monitor Ubuntu PC [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/20 6:59 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 17/10/2020 11:42, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>
>> I just added a second monitor to our main desktop Ubuntu PC.
>> Obviously great for office work, but sometimes it would be convenient
>> to have mythfrontend on one screen and still have something important
>> like solitaire :-) on the other.  However when I launch mythfrontend
>> it starts up on monitor with the dock bar so I can't launch other
>> programs once I've start watching mythfrontend.
>>
>> Short of making mythfrontend windowed, is there a way of launching
>> mythfrontend to display #2?
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> I'm on master but I think 31-fixes is similar. The 'Display on screen'
> setting should show a list of monitors from which you can choose which
> one the frontend with startup on. It's under Appearance -> Theme /
> Screen Settings.
>

> Paul H.

Yes that works for fixes/31 as well.

Thanks,

Jim A

Re: mythfrontend on a 2 monitor Ubuntu PC [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/20 4:10 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 10/17/20 6:59 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 17/10/2020 11:42, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>
>>> I just added a second monitor to our main desktop Ubuntu PC.
>>> Obviously great for office work, but sometimes it would be
>>> convenient to have mythfrontend on one screen and still have
>>> something important like solitaire :-) on the other.  However when I
>>> launch mythfrontend it starts up on monitor with the dock bar so I
>>> can't launch other programs once I've start watching mythfrontend.
>>>
>>> Short of making mythfrontend windowed, is there a way of launching
>>> mythfrontend to display #2?
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> I'm on master but I think 31-fixes is similar. The 'Display on
>> screen' setting should show a list of monitors from which you can
>> choose which one the frontend with startup on. It's under Appearance
>> -> Theme / Screen Settings.
>>

>> Paul H.
>

> Yes that works for fixes/31 as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim A

When I had two desktops (one on the TV and one on the monitor) I started
Mythfrontend as either

/usr/bin/mythfrontend -display :0.0  (on the monitor)

or

/usr/bin/mythfrontend -display :0.1  (on the TV)

Now I have one continuous desktop so I launch them as

/usr/bin/mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+0+0  (on the monitor)

or

/usr/bin/mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+1920+0  (on the TV)

irexec always uses the second one (launches on the TV) and I have a
shortcut (icon) on the TV that does the same.  There's a different one
on the monitor to launch it there.  Works great. (KDE, btw)

Dave D.

Re: mythfrontend on a 2 monitor Ubuntu PC [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/20 10:59 AM, DaveD wrote:
> On 10/17/20 4:10 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

>>> I'm on master but I think 31-fixes is similar. The 'Display on screen' setting should show a list of monitors from which you can choose which one the frontend with startup on. It's under Appearance -> Theme / Screen Settings.
>>>

>>> Paul H.
>>

>> Yes that works for fixes/31 as well.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim A
>
> When I had two desktops (one on the TV and one on the monitor) I started Mythfrontend as either
>
> /usr/bin/mythfrontend -display :0.0  (on the monitor)
>
> or
>
> /usr/bin/mythfrontend -display :0.1  (on the TV)
>
> Now I have one continuous desktop so I launch them as
>
> /usr/bin/mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+0+0  (on the monitor)
>
> or
>
> /usr/bin/mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+1920+0  (on the TV)
>
> irexec always uses the second one (launches on the TV) and I have a shortcut (icon) on the TV that does the same.  There's a different one on the monitor to launch it there.  Works great. (KDE, btw)

I start it in windowed mode (-w) so that the window manager can manage the window, and I can move it about where I like.

I also set the size, since mythfrontend will size itself to the entire display. I'm running a 40" 4K monitor, so having it be 1080p size is what I typically want. I have the following set up:

mythtv is aliased to `mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+30+30 -w'