BTW, for anyone upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04, MariaDB will timeout on startup because Ubuntu's new AppArmor feature...follow the bug report tip here to fix that:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40997257/mysql-service-fails-to-start-hangs-up-timeout-ubuntu-mariadb

ken
Re: mythtv setup can't talk to mysql/mariadb after ubuntu 20.04 upgrade [ In reply to ]
Finally did this:sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-commonfromhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Troubleshooting

and also had to disable mysqld from AppArmor (setting it to complain didn't work).
And things seem back to normal except themes don't seem to get set properly in the 0.31 FrontEnd so it stays the default, but I can live with it :-)
So forewarned that AppArmor causes lots of fun in Ubuntu 20.04 :-(
Re: mythtv setup can't talk to mysql/mariadb after ubuntu 20.04 upgrade [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 17:02:13 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>Finally did this:sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
>sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-commonfromhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Troubleshooting
>
>and also had to disable mysqld from AppArmor (setting it to complain didn't work).
>And things seem back to normal except themes don't seem to get set properly in the 0.31 FrontEnd so it stays the default, but I can live with it :-)
>So forewarned that AppArmor causes lots of fun in Ubuntu 20.04 :-(

I have to say I am surprised at all the troubles you have been having
with Ubuntu 20.04. I installed Ubuntu 20.04 in a VirtualBox virtual
machine using network tuners when it first came out and it worked fine
without any of the problems you have encountered. I did have to
update my 18.04 LIRC fixup script for 20.04, as the LIRC install is
still broken, but that was the only major problem I can remember.
MariaDB worked just fine, and still does with all the updates that
have happened since then.

But there are probably quite a few things I just habitually do when
setting up a new MythTV system, so one or more of those may have
prevented the problems you had. I certainly did not have any AppArmor
problems though.
Re: mythtv setup can't talk to mysql/mariadb after ubuntu 20.04 upgrade [ In reply to ]
> On 12 Oct 2020, at 10:34 am, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> Finally did this:sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-commonfromhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Troubleshooting
>>
>> and also had to disable mysqld from AppArmor (setting it to complain didn't work).
>> And things seem back to normal except themes don't seem to get set properly in the 0.31 FrontEnd so it stays the default, but I can live with it :-)
>> So forewarned that AppArmor causes lots of fun in Ubuntu 20.04 :-(
>
> I have to say I am surprised at all the troubles you have been having
> with Ubuntu 20.04. I installed Ubuntu 20.04 in a VirtualBox virtual
> machine using network tuners when it first came out and it worked fine
> without any of the problems you have encountered. I did have to
> update my 18.04 LIRC fixup script for 20.04, as the LIRC install is
> still broken, but that was the only major problem I can remember.
> MariaDB worked just fine, and still does with all the updates that
> have happened since then.
>
> But there are probably quite a few things I just habitually do when
> setting up a new MythTV system, so one or more of those may have
> prevented the problems you had. I certainly did not have any AppArmor
> problems though.

But it depends on your hardware too,
I had a torrid time with audio being pegged to FSD (127) using various Gen 8, 9, 10 NUC but NOT on my gen 6.
(xubuntu, 20.04 but all from kde, gnome to lxde and lxqt)
I think its all to do with the intel-microsoft conspiracy to force users of new hardware (gen 8 + cpu) to use windows 10. Earlier windoze won’t run on later hw.
James