Mailing List Archive

Identifying conflicts
I have a show that didn't record as it should have last night due to an
conflict. Looking at manage recording rules > [the show] > schedule info >
upcoming recordings I see it will happen next week too. If I enter that
item it just says there is a higher priority rule. Is there a way to find
out what the actual conflicting recording rule is?
Re: Identifying conflicts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 19:15:02 -0700, you wrote:

>I have a show that didn't record as it should have last night due to an
>conflict. Looking at manage recording rules > [the show] > schedule info >
>upcoming recordings I see it will happen next week too. If I enter that
>item it just says there is a higher priority rule. Is there a way to find
>out what the actual conflicting recording rule is?

There is no such thing as just one conflicting rule, unless you only
have one tuner. There have to be as many conflicting rules as you
have tuners for all the sources that can record the conflicting
programme.

To work out what is conflicting, the first thing is that only
programmes that are on at the same time can conflict. So in the
Upcoming Recordings, you can try manually adding override rules
telling each of the other recordings happening at the same time to not
record. The conflict may or may not go away with just stopping one of
the other recordings. And your override may well prevent that
programme from recording if it was the last repeat of that programme.
Or you may get another conflict at another time when the scheduler
decides to try to record the programme you have just overridden. But
occasionally, the scheduler may not have made the right decisions and
the conflict will go away and all the programmes will be recording.
But you may find that a programme you want to record in HD will now be
recording in SD or otherwise "at a lower priority".

The scheduler is usually pretty good at working out how to record
everything, and 9 times out of 10 if it says there is a conflict there
is actually no way to resolve it within the rules it has been given.
If you can make a decision that you can live with an SD copy of
something that you would prefer to be HD, that can be a way out of a
conflict. Or if you have the ability to watch programmes "On Demand"
from a web page for a week or two after they have been broadcast (as
is often the case here in New Zealand), you can choose which one not
to record and then do that. Ultimately, if you are getting conflicts
that you can not resolve, then you will need another tuner.

One thing to check is your multirec settings. If your tuners are
multirec capable, but you have only set them for 2 or 3 multirec
tuners, increase that so that the same physical tuner can be used for
all the channels on your largest multiplex. So if your largest
multiplex has 7 channels on it, set the multirec limit to 7 on those
tuners.

There is another tool that can help with scheduling problems:

mythbackend --printsched

This produces a condensed listing of the scheduling of all the
programmes. It is parseable - I use it with awk in my sched.sh script
produce a report of anything anomalous:

# Report any recordings scheduled for tuners >= 96, where they are
more
# probable to get a bad recording, or Never or Later markings, or
"recording
# with low priority", or a Conflict.
mythbackend --printsched | awk 'NR == 1, /--- print list start ---/ {
next } /Title - Subtitle/ { next } $(NF-1) ~/^[0-9]+$/ {
if($(NF-1)>=96) print } { if ($(NF-1)=="C" || $(NF-1)=="L" ||
$(NF-1)=="N" || (match($NF,"-") && !match($NF,"---"))) print }'

You could do the same if you liked and run a script that would email
you if a conflict turned up in the schedule ($NF-1)=="C"). You would
need to run the script regularly from a timer (systemd or
cron.hourly?) or maybe from the scheduler event. I normally just run
my sched.sh script manually some time after my EPG updates happen at
15:10 each day. Then I fix anything that needs fixing, which is
currently not much as I have increased the number of tuners I have to
the point where conflicts are impossible on DVB-T and very rare on
DVB-S2. The problem I have most often now is an N indication where a
record once rule is not finding its matching programme any more - the
programme in that timeslot has been changed, or, more often, the start
time of the programme has been moved too much for the record once rule
to see the programme as a match.
Re: Identifying conflicts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 07:15:02PM -0700, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I have a show that didn't record as it should have last night due to an
> conflict. Looking at manage recording rules > [the show] > schedule info >
> upcoming recordings I see it will happen next week too. If I enter that
> item it just says there is a higher priority rule. Is there a way to find
> out what the actual conflicting recording rule is?

There was an, apparently longstanding, bug which prevented the showing
of potentially, conflicting programs. I just fixed it in master and
fixes/31. When you get the fix, go to the Upcoming Recordings screen
and press ENTER on the conflicting program. It will list up to 4,
potentially, conflicting programs.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Identifying conflicts [ In reply to ]
On 10/12/20 4:57 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 07:15:02PM -0700, DryHeat122 wrote:
>> I have a show that didn't record as it should have last night due to an
>> conflict. Looking at manage recording rules > [the show] > schedule info >
>> upcoming recordings I see it will happen next week too. If I enter that
>> item it just says there is a higher priority rule. Is there a way to find
>> out what the actual conflicting recording rule is?
> There was an, apparently longstanding, bug which prevented the showing
> of potentially, conflicting programs. I just fixed it in master and
> fixes/31. When you get the fix, go to the Upcoming Recordings screen
> and press ENTER on the conflicting program. It will list up to 4,
> potentially, conflicting programs.
>
> David

After applying the update this morning, I created 6 recordings coming up
later this morning and I checked in the Upcoming Recordings and 2 were
listed as conflicting. When I hit enter on the conflicting programs it
did list what was the conflicting program.

Thanks for the fix.

Jim A