One showing every {week|day}
Hi!

The Wiki [1] says that recording rules can be told to find only one hit
per day or per week, but I can't seem to find that either in Mythweb or
in the frontend (31-fixes).

Any hints?

[1]: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Manage_Recordings

Thanks, Jan
Re: One showing every {week|day} [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 08:44:36 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi!
>
>The Wiki [1] says that recording rules can be told to find only one hit
>per day or per week, but I can't seem to find that either in Mythweb or
>in the frontend (31-fixes).
>
>Any hints?
>
>[1]: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Manage_Recordings
>
>Thanks, Jan

You need to use a Power Search rule - use the menu and select Custom
Edit. If all you want out of the rule is to match on title, then the
SQL part will be set up already as that and you can just go directly
to the Record button and that will take you to a menu that looks
almost identical to the normal recording rule edit menu. But you get
the options for Daily and Weekly recording which you do not get on
normal recording rules.

There are some problems with setting up Daily and Weekly recordings.
If there are (say) 5 repeats in a week of the programme, you really
want to be on the first one of those when you create the Weekly Power
Search rule, so that it will load the record.findday field with that
day. If you set up the rule on the last of the 5 repeats, then if it
fails to record then, it will record the next episode and miss the one
for that week. However, if the EPG data is generic, you will not know
when in the week the new episode starts to broadcast. So what I do
for that is to set up a temporary ordinary recording rule that will
record all episodes with no duplicate checking and then after a week
check all the recordings to see when the change to the new episode
happens. Then I can select the next upcoming episode at that time of
the week to create the Power Search rule from, and delete the
temporary ordinary rule. It is also possible to just use SQL to change
the findday and/or findtime values.

I have also had to use Power Search rules for recording only at
certain times of the day. Here in New Zealand we have Coronation
Street broadcasting in the evenings but with aggregated repeats in the
afternoons. Due to the aggregation, the EPG data for the repeats
makes them appear to be different episodes from the evening original
broadcasts. So I had to set up my mother's MythTV box to only record
Coronation Street when it was broadcast between 18:00 and 23:30 local
time. Otherwise she would wind up watching the originals and the
repeats and getting very confused. Doing that requires the use of SQL
to check the program.startime value:

program.title = 'Coronation Street 2020' and
right(convert_tz(program.starttime,'UTC','NZ'),8)>='18:00:00' and
right(convert_tz(program.starttime,'UTC','NZ'),8)<'23:30:00'
Re: One showing every {week|day} [ In reply to ]
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 08:44:36 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> The Wiki [1] says that recording rules can be told to find only one hit
>> per day or per week, but I can't seem to find that either in Mythweb or
>> in the frontend (31-fixes).
>>
>> Any hints?
>>
>> [1]: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Manage_Recordings
>>
>> Thanks, Jan
>
> You need to use a Power Search rule

Thanks Stephen -- you're always very helpful.

The wiki would benefit from clarification on this point; I'll give that
a go.

Jan
Re: One showing every {week|day} [ In reply to ]
On 10/04/2020 07:07 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 04/10/2020 11:51, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 08:44:36 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The Wiki [1] says that recording rules can be told to find only one hit
>>> per day or per week, but I can't seem to find that either in Mythweb or
>>> in the frontend (31-fixes).
>>>
>>> Any hints?
>>>
>>> [1]: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Manage_Recordings
>>>
>>> Thanks, Jan
>> You need to use a Power Search rule

More specifically, the old "timeslot" and "weekslot" recording rule
types were removed and a new "filter" was added to give a more-forgiving
approximation of their functionality (basically to do what the user
wanted instead of "what the user said"). The old rule types would fail
whenever broadcasters changed the start time of a program--even if it
aired in the same "slot" on the schedule. The new filters "This time"
(daily) and "This day and time" (weekly) will record the show if it airs
within 10 minutes of the time specified in the rule. These may actually
be easier for you to use than the old rule types--and will work even
with small changes. See the commit message for more detail:
https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/commits/534705#534705

As Stephen said, though, the old "timeslot" and "weekslot" rule types
are only available in manual and search recording rules.

> Thanks Stephen -- you're always very helpful.
>
> The wiki would benefit from clarification on this point; I'll give that
> a go.

Looks good--and a further clarification on the filters would be nice,
too, if you get a chance to try them out/play with them. :) Thanks for
helping update the documentation for the changes.

Mike
Re: One showing every {week|day} [ In reply to ]
On 05/10/2020 19:57, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> More specifically, the old "timeslot" and "weekslot" recording rule
> types were removed and a new "filter" was added to give a more-forgiving
> approximation of their functionality (basically to do what the user
> wanted instead of "what the user said").

Actually, what I would have liked is the ability really to record one
occurrence per week but be able to specify on what day the week begins
for this purpose.

I came across this issue when trying to create a recording rule for a
show which is always repeated once or twice, for which the listings data
does not include series/episode information, and for which the first
showing always occurs on Friday (with later showings usually on Sunday
and Tuesday). Other than that all bets are off: the "within 10 minutes"
logic doesn't fly for this show since the timing of each of the showings
varies quite a lot.

>  The old rule types would fail
> whenever broadcasters changed the start time of a program--even if it
> aired in the same "slot" on the schedule.  The new filters "This time"
> (daily) and "This day and time" (weekly) will record the show if it airs
> within 10 minutes of the time specified in the rule.  These may actually
> be easier for you to use than the old rule types--and will work even
> with small changes.  See the commit message for more detail:
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/commits/534705#534705

As I said the "within 10 minutes" thing doesn't cover my need, but I
fully understand and accept the point made in the commit message about
willingness to support features no longer deemed necessary by the
developers.

Cheers, Jan
Re: One showing every {week|day} [ In reply to ]
On 10/06/2020 12:27 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 05/10/2020 19:57, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> More specifically, the old "timeslot" and "weekslot" recording rule
>> types were removed and a new "filter" was added to give a more-forgiving
>> approximation of their functionality (basically to do what the user
>> wanted instead of "what the user said").
> Actually, what I would have liked is the ability really to record one
> occurrence per week but be able to specify on what day the week begins
> for this purpose.
>
> I came across this issue when trying to create a recording rule for a
> show which is always repeated once or twice, for which the listings data
> does not include series/episode information, and for which the first
> showing always occurs on Friday (with later showings usually on Sunday
> and Tuesday). Other than that all bets are off: the "within 10 minutes"
> logic doesn't fly for this show since the timing of each of the showings
> varies quite a lot.
>
>> The old rule types would fail
>> whenever broadcasters changed the start time of a program--even if it
>> aired in the same "slot" on the schedule. The new filters "This time"
>> (daily) and "This day and time" (weekly) will record the show if it airs
>> within 10 minutes of the time specified in the rule. These may actually
>> be easier for you to use than the old rule types--and will work even
>> with small changes. See the commit message for more detail:
>> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/commits/534705#534705
> As I said the "within 10 minutes" thing doesn't cover my need, but I
> fully understand and accept the point made in the commit message about
> willingness to support features no longer deemed necessary by the
> developers.

Ah, so even the old timeslot and weekslot the wiki mentioned wouldn't
have worked for you--they would be "within 0 minutes" rules. At the
level of specificity you're looking for, the power search rules are the
right option.

Mike
Re: One showing every {week|day} [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 18:27:57 +0200, you wrote:

>On 05/10/2020 19:57, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> More specifically, the old "timeslot" and "weekslot" recording rule
>> types were removed and a new "filter" was added to give a more-forgiving
>> approximation of their functionality (basically to do what the user
>> wanted instead of "what the user said").
>
>Actually, what I would have liked is the ability really to record one
>occurrence per week but be able to specify on what day the week begins
>for this purpose.
>
>I came across this issue when trying to create a recording rule for a
>show which is always repeated once or twice, for which the listings data
>does not include series/episode information, and for which the first
>showing always occurs on Friday (with later showings usually on Sunday
>and Tuesday). Other than that all bets are off: the "within 10 minutes"
>logic doesn't fly for this show since the timing of each of the showings
>varies quite a lot.

The weekly rule does work for this. If you create the rule from the
Friday listing in the EPG, it will record once a week starting from
then (+/- 10 minutes) on Friday. If you have a rule that you have
created on the wrong day though, you have to use SQL to manually
change the record.findday field to fix that. Just remember that all
times are in UTC. The record.findtime field also can be adjusted to
the UTC time of day on the UTC findday to start searching from. It
would be good if there was some way of manually adjusting those two
fields from the GUI for existing Power Search rules. Then
mythfrontend could do the local time to UTC adjustments for you. I
have often needed to change the settings when a new season of a
programme starts, and it is on at different times of the week from the
previous season. You also have to worry about daylight saving time as
I do not think that any adjustment of findday and findtime fields is
done for this. So if your clock is an hour forwards, you really want
the findday/findtime to be set one hour back from the current
recording time so that the forwards search from then will still find
the programmes after daylight saving ends.
Re: One showing every {week|day} [ In reply to ]
>> and Tuesday). Other than that all bets are off: the "within 10 minutes"
>> logic doesn't fly for this show since the timing of each of the showings
>> varies quite a lot.
>
> The weekly rule does work for this. If you create the rule from the
> Friday listing in the EPG, it will record once a week starting from
> then (+/- 10 minutes) on Friday.

Once again Stephen: "the timing of each of the showings" (including the
initial-one on Friday) "varies quite a lot".

Furthermore, it is my understanding (but do correct me if I'm wrong)
that such a rule would only match the Friday showing (if it happens to
fall within the 10-minute window). If that showing can't be recorded for
some reason the other two opportunities would not be taken.

I have taken your initial advice (repeated by Mike) to create a power
rule for this case.

Thanks, Jan

Re: One showing every {week|day} [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 18:52:35 +0200, you wrote:

>On 07/10/2020 03:49, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>> and Tuesday). Other than that all bets are off: the "within 10 minutes"
>>> logic doesn't fly for this show since the timing of each of the showings
>>> varies quite a lot.
>>
>> The weekly rule does work for this. If you create the rule from the
>> Friday listing in the EPG, it will record once a week starting from
>> then (+/- 10 minutes) on Friday.
>
>Once again Stephen: "the timing of each of the showings" (including the
>initial-one on Friday) "varies quite a lot".
>
>Furthermore, it is my understanding (but do correct me if I'm wrong)
>that such a rule would only match the Friday showing (if it happens to
>fall within the 10-minute window). If that showing can't be recorded for
>some reason the other two opportunities would not be taken.

No, that is how a daily recording works. A weekly rule matches all
showings from the start time forwards for a week. So if the Friday
recording was missed, then the Monday or Wednesday one would be
recorded.

The "varies a lot" problem is one I solve by adjusting the findtime to
be 00:00 local time so that any timeslot on the first day will match.
I have to do that manually with SQL as there is no way to do it with
the GUI.