really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect,
interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set
correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in the
menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem
is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded
content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the
GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good
idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 16:56, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked
> really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect,
> interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set
> correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in the
> menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem
> is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded
> content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the
> GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good
> idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?

My front end is a NUC 5i5RYB which works very well with 1080p files.
However, i tried to play an HEVC file and it really struggled. I ran
mediainfo on the file and it showed,

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 55 min
Bit rate : 8 359 kb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.040

Maybe newer NUCs are better.
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 12:25:08 +0100, you wrote:

>I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked
>really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect,
>interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set
>correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in the
>menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem
>is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded
>content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the
>GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good
>idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?

If you really want a small form factor but with Nvidia video, you
might consider building a mini-ITX motherboard based box. There are
some with AMD processors and a PCIe slot (PCIe 3.0 or 4.0). Put an
Nvidia GT1030 card in the PCIe slot and it should make a nice
frontend. But I have no idea how it would compare price wise with a
NUC.
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
> On 1 Oct 2020, at 7:25 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>
> I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect, interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in the menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?

I've been using an i3 with m2 ssd for years. It is BE and FE
As a FE the deinterlacing is better than my mac FE that does HVEC.
I do not, for I don't know how, use any graphics hardware.
James
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/2020 16:53, Rajil Saraswat wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 16:56, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>
> I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked
> really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect,
> interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set
> correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in
> the
> menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem
> is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded
> content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the
> GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good
> idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?
>

> My front end is a NUC 5i5RYB which works very well with 1080p files.
> However, i tried to play an HEVC file and it really struggled.  I ran
> mediainfo on the file and it showed,
>
> Video
> ID                                       : 1
> Format                                   : HEVC
> Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
> Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@Main
> HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
> Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
> Duration                                 : 1 h 55 min
> Bit rate                                 : 8 359 kb/s
> Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
> Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
> Display aspect ratio                     : 2.35:1
> Frame rate mode                          : Constant
> Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
> Color space                              : YUV
> Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
> Bit depth                                : 10 bits
> Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.040
>
> Maybe newer NUCs are better.

That's really useful to know thanks. So I'd definitely need a newish
model for HEVC support.
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 12:25:08 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked
>> really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect,
>> interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set
>> correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in the
>> menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem
>> is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded
>> content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the
>> GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good
>> idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?
>
> If you really want a small form factor but with Nvidia video, you
> might consider building a mini-ITX motherboard based box. There are
> some with AMD processors and a PCIe slot (PCIe 3.0 or 4.0). Put an
> Nvidia GT1030 card in the PCIe slot and it should make a nice
> frontend. But I have no idea how it would compare price wise with a
> NUC.

But that's a fair bit bigger than a NUC or zbox, right?! Or am I looking
at the wrong thing? Certainly a possibility though, especially given I
already have an old but nice mini-ITX case I'm not currently using. My
guess is it'll work out cheaper than a NUC.
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/2020 23:21, James Linder wrote:

>> On 1 Oct 2020, at 7:25 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect, interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in the menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?
>
> I've been using an i3 with m2 ssd for years. It is BE and FE
> As a FE the deinterlacing is better than my mac FE that does HVEC.
> I do not, for I don't know how, use any graphics hardware.
> James

So the i3 is decoding in software? Does the i3 manage HEVC?

Interesting about the mac. I also have an old, but not very old mac
mini, but I'd need it to PXE boot and I think that's problematic with mac.
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
> On 2 Oct 2020, at 4:53 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>
> On 01/10/2020 23:21, James Linder wrote:
>>> On 1 Oct 2020, at 7:25 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect, interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in the menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?
>> I've been using an i3 with m2 ssd for years. It is BE and FE
>> As a FE the deinterlacing is better than my mac FE that does HVEC.
>> I do not, for I don't know how, use any graphics hardware.
>> James
>
> So the i3 is decoding in software? Does the i3 manage HEVC?
>
> Interesting about the mac. I also have an old, but not very old mac mini, but I'd need it to PXE boot and I think that's problematic with mac.

I just scanned my storage. In Australia I have not a singe HVEC recording.

James

Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
> On 2 Oct 2020, at 4:53 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>
> On 01/10/2020 23:21, James Linder wrote:
>>> On 1 Oct 2020, at 7:25 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect, interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in the menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?
>> I've been using an i3 with m2 ssd for years. It is BE and FE
>> As a FE the deinterlacing is better than my mac FE that does HVEC.
>> I do not, for I don't know how, use any graphics hardware.
>> James
>
> So the i3 is decoding in software? Does the i3 manage HEVC?
>
> Interesting about the mac. I also have an old, but not very old mac mini, but I'd need it to PXE boot and I think that's problematic with mac.

OT but interesting

https://superuser.com/questions/878807/how-to-boot-apple-mac-via-pxe-custom-mini-linux

James

Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
One option is to just have a custom job to convert them to h264... on my BE it usually takes 15-20min to do and was the cheaper/easier option... I’m waiting for hardware to come down in price. Just throwing it out there, in case. I bet converting to mpeg2 ts the results could be in real time as it converts and then you just delete after.
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/2020 12:25, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked
> really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect,
> interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set
> correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in the
> menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a problem
> is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded
> content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of the
> GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a good
> idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?

Actually, this looks like it would do the job if only I could find
somewhere in the uk selling them:
https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-n40-mini-pc
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
On 03/10/2020 15:18, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 03/10/2020 12:35, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> On 01/10/2020 12:25, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has worked
>>> really well, especially where it matters: video playback is perfect,
>>> interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set
>>> correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag in
>>> the menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a
>>> problem is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC
>>> encoded content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably
>>> because of the GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to
>>> NUC. Is that a good idea? If so, any recommendations for which to
>>> choose?
>>
>> Actually, this looks like it would do the job if only I could find
>> somewhere in the uk selling them:
>> https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-n40-mini-pc
>>
> Well, it does say "Free worldwide shipping".

Yeah, I saw that right after I posted. :-) Seems to claim duty free
too. I may have found my new frontend.
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 9:54 AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> On 03/10/2020 15:18, Mike Perkins wrote:
> >>
> >> Actually, this looks like it would do the job if only I could find
> >> somewhere in the uk selling them:
> >> https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-n40-mini-pc
> >>
> > Well, it does say "Free worldwide shipping".
>
> Yeah, I saw that right after I posted. :-) Seems to claim duty free
> too. I may have found my new frontend.

My laptop has that same graphics and I have another one with CML G2 Intel
Graphics. I loaded mythfrontend on them under Fedora 32 and selected VAAPI
Normal for playback. Both have excellent playback on all media I selected
(USA ATSC and also 264 and 265 content). I did not have any golf or hockey
recorded - I used to save them just for testing, but I lost them somehow.
My guess based on other content is they would play well though.
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
On 03/10/2020 16:13, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 9:54 AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>
> On 03/10/2020 15:18, Mike Perkins wrote:
> worked
> perfect,
> lag in
> of a
> HEVC
> >>
> >> Actually, this looks like it would do the job if only I could find
> >> somewhere in the uk selling them:
> >> https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-n40-mini-pc
> >>
> > Well, it does say "Free worldwide shipping".
>
> Yeah, I saw that right after I posted. :-) Seems to claim duty free
> too. I may have found my new frontend.
>

> My laptop has that same graphics and I have another one with CML G2
> Intel Graphics.  I loaded mythfrontend on them under Fedora 32 and
> selected VAAPI Normal for playback.  Both have excellent playback on all
> media I selected (USA ATSC and also 264 and 265 content).  I did not
> have any golf or hockey recorded - I used to save them just for testing,
> but I lost them somehow.  My guess based on other content is they would
> play well though.

Thank you. Much appreciated. I had seen a little conflicting information
on the web regarding that chip's capabilities with HEVC, so that's
really helpful.
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 3, 2020, at 12:00 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>
> On 03/10/2020 16:13, Greg Oliver wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 9:54 AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>> worked
>> perfect,
>> lag in
>> of a
>> HEVC

>> > Well, it does say "Free worldwide shipping".
>> Yeah, I saw that right after I posted. :-) Seems to claim duty free
>> too. I may have found my new frontend.
>> My laptop has that same graphics and I have another one with CML G2 Intel Graphics. I loaded mythfrontend on them under Fedora 32 and selected VAAPI Normal for playback. Both have excellent playback on all media I selected (USA ATSC and also 264 and 265 content). I did not have any golf or hockey recorded - I used to save them just for testing, but I lost them somehow. My guess based on other content is they would play well though.
>
> Thank you. Much appreciated. I had seen a little conflicting information on the web regarding that chip's capabilities with HEVC, so that's really helpful.

There are several variations of the referenced box available on Amazon. I have 2 older versions of these boxes, and am pleased with their performance using linux. I bought them for about $100 each, and the newest one I have is a z83 cpu with 4 cores, and 4GB ram and 64GB SSD builtin. More than plenty for a Mythfrontend!

I use VAAPI2 on them in v31.

Regards,
Jay
Re: Nvidia ION => NUC - good idea? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2020-10-01 at 21:23 +0530, Rajil Saraswat wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 16:56, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
> > I've been using an old zbox as frontend for years now. It has
> > worked
> > really well, especially where it matters: video playback is
> > perfect,
> > interlaced or not, whatever the frame rate, with the TV always set
> > correctly. Where it lacks a bit is in boot speed and a bit of lag
> > in the
> > menus but I don't find that hugely important. What is more of a
> > problem
> > is that I'm more frequently these days wishing to play HEVC encoded
> > content and it just can't handle that at all: presumably because of
> > the
> > GT 610 graphics chip. So I'm considering moving to NUC. Is that a
> > good
> > idea? If so, any recommendations for which to choose?
> >

> My front end is a NUC 5i5RYB which works very well with 1080p files.
> However, i tried to play an HEVC file and it really struggled.  I ran
> mediainfo on the file and it showed,
>
>  Video
> ID                                       : 1
> Format                                   : HEVC
> Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video
> Coding
> Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@Main
> HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10
> compatible
> Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
> Duration                                 : 1 h 55 min
> Bit rate                                 : 8 359 kb/s
> Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
> Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
> Display aspect ratio                     : 2.35:1
> Frame rate mode                          : Constant
> Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
> Color space                              : YUV
> Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
> Bit depth                                : 10 bits
> Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.040
>
> Maybe newer NUCs are better.

I have an Intel NUC6CAYB which works very well. vainfo says it has
hardware acceleration for the following:

VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointEncPicture
VAProfileVP8Version0_3 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVP8Version0_3 : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileHEVCMain10 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVP9Profile0 : VAEntrypointVLD

David