Has anyone had any experience/luck/issues with installing the android
myth frontend on a plain vanilla android TV? I'm considering a TCL 4
Series Smart Android TV and wondering if anyone has tried it yet.
Re: Myth on a plain Android TV [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 6:13 PM mythtv <mythtv@mdabbs.org> wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience/luck/issues with installing the android
> myth frontend on a plain vanilla android TV? I'm considering a TCL 4
> Series Smart Android TV and wondering if anyone has tried it yet.

While not an Android "TV", I do hsav eit running on a junky Osprey Android
TV STB that AT&T ships for their new TV product (DirecTV Now renamed to
AT&T TV). It has OpenGL issues with the OSD with MythFrontend (ghosting).
The LeanFront app runs with no issues, but of course does not have all the
frontend goodies.

I am probably going to put my Shield back in service and sideload the AT&T
TV app onto it.

YMMV, but just throwing it out there - it is not really viable to use the
android frontend on a daily basis unless you just like punishment :)
Re: Myth on a plain Android TV [ In reply to ]
On 9/23/20 11:13 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 6:13 PM mythtv <mythtv@mdabbs.org
> <mailto:mythtv@mdabbs.org>> wrote:
>
> Has anyone had any experience/luck/issues with installing the android
> myth frontend on a plain vanilla android TV? I'm considering a TCL 4
> Series Smart Android TV and wondering if anyone has tried it yet.
>

> While not an Android "TV", I do hsav eit running on a junky Osprey
> Android TV STB that AT&T ships for their new TV product (DirecTV Now
> renamed to AT&T TV).  It has OpenGL issues with the OSD with
> MythFrontend (ghosting).  The LeanFront app runs with no issues, but of
> course does not have all the frontend goodies.
>
> I am probably going to put my Shield back in service and sideload the
> AT&T TV app onto it.
>
> YMMV, but just throwing it out there - it is not really viable to use
> the android frontend on a daily basis unless you just like punishment :)

Thanks. I have it running on a Fire Stick 4k pretty nicely. Just didn't
know if I should try to do the TV thing or not. I'll probably get the TV
anyway and just use it as a dumb TV with a Fire Stick plugged in. It
just would've been nice to have it all in one device. And leanfront
seems really nice but I need live tv support.
Re: Myth on a plain Android TV [ In reply to ]
On 24/09/2020 05:47, mythtv wrote:
> On 9/23/20 11:13 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 6:13 PM mythtv <mythtv@mdabbs.org
>> <mailto:mythtv@mdabbs.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience/luck/issues with installing the android
>> myth frontend on a plain vanilla android TV? I'm considering a TCL 4
>> Series Smart Android TV and wondering if anyone has tried it yet.
>>

>> While not an Android "TV", I do hsav eit running on a junky Osprey
>> Android TV STB that AT&T ships for their new TV product (DirecTV Now
>> renamed to AT&T TV).  It has OpenGL issues with the OSD with
>> MythFrontend (ghosting).  The LeanFront app runs with no issues, but of
>> course does not have all the frontend goodies.
>>
>> I am probably going to put my Shield back in service and sideload the
>> AT&T TV app onto it.
>>
>> YMMV, but just throwing it out there - it is not really viable to use
>> the android frontend on a daily basis unless you just like punishment :)
>>

> Thanks. I have it running on a Fire Stick 4k pretty nicely. Just didn't
> know if I should try to do the TV thing or not. I'll probably get the TV
> anyway and just use it as a dumb TV with a Fire Stick plugged in. It
> just would've been nice to have it all in one device. And leanfront
> seems really nice but I need live tv support.

That's now available on leanfront for OTA in the UK, although I haven't
done serious tests on all the formats in use.

Re: Myth on a plain Android TV [ In reply to ]
On 9/24/20 12:47 AM, mythtv wrote:
> And leanfront
> seems really nice but I need live tv support.

Live TV support has been in leanfront for some time now. Program
schedule and recording setup are now also in leanfront.