Mailing List Archive

Metro Detroit Comcast
Anyone here have experience with Comcast in the Metro Detroit area. Can you record basic cable, like TCM, and broadcast HD channels with a cable card? How much can you expect to pay after whatever introductory offer expires? Other thoughts? We've been using Wowway (Wide Open West) because they don't encrypt basic cable or broadcast HD channels, but phone, internet and basic cable now cost over $160/month with the only equipment rental being their cable modem with phone service.
Re: Metro Detroit Comcast [ In reply to ]
On 9/11/20 6:34 PM, faginbagin wrote:
> Anyone here have experience with Comcast in the Metro Detroit area. Can you record basic cable, like TCM, and broadcast HD channels with a cable card? How much can you expect to pay after whatever introductory offer expires? Other thoughts? We've been using Wowway (Wide Open West) because they don't encrypt basic cable or broadcast HD channels, but phone, internet and basic cable now cost over $160/month with the only equipment rental being their cable modem with phone service.

I am not in Detroit, but I do have Comcast, in Massachusetts. To use
cable card you will need either a ceton or a silicon dust hdhomerun
prime. Unfortunately neither of these is being manufactured any more,
but you may be able to find a used one. I am paying $121 per month for
Internet 100 mbps download, plus broadcast and "TV: Entertainment"
package, which is a selection of entertainment based channels. I save $5
per month for having "Customer Owned Equipment", and $9.95 per month "HD
Technology Fee". It would be $15 per month more with Comcast equipment,
one converter box.

With cable card and the ceton I get all the channels I pay for. However
random channels sometimes get set by Comcast incorrectly so that they do
not work (set to no-record or record-once). One of the cspan channels is
set like that. (Rather ridiculous since I would think the cspan channels
have little or no copyrighted content). Getting that resolved by Comcast
for the Family Channel took me three months of phone calls back and
forth with Comcast. By the time it was sorted out, the show I wanted to
see was long gone.

For phone you pay extra, I use vonage which is cheaper than Comcast's
version.

Peter

Re: Metro Detroit Comcast [ In reply to ]
On 9/12/20 4:27 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 9/11/20 6:34 PM, faginbagin wrote:
>> Anyone here have experience with Comcast in the Metro Detroit area.
>> Can you record basic cable, like TCM, and broadcast HD channels with
>> a cable card? How much can you expect to pay after whatever
>> introductory offer expires? Other thoughts? We've been using Wowway
>> (Wide Open West) because they don't encrypt basic cable or broadcast
>> HD channels, but phone, internet and basic cable now cost over
>> $160/month with the only equipment rental being their cable modem
>> with phone service.
>
> I am not in Detroit, but I do have Comcast, in Massachusetts. To use
> cable card you will need either a ceton or a silicon dust hdhomerun
> prime. Unfortunately neither of these is being manufactured any more,
> but you may be able to find a used one. I am paying $121 per month for
> Internet 100 mbps download, plus broadcast and "TV: Entertainment"
> package, which is a selection of entertainment based channels. I save
> $5 per month for having "Customer Owned Equipment", and $9.95 per
> month "HD Technology Fee". It would be $15 per month more with Comcast
> equipment, one converter box.
>
> With cable card and the ceton I get all the channels I pay for.
> However random channels sometimes get set by Comcast incorrectly so
> that they do not work (set to no-record or record-once). One of the
> cspan channels is set like that. (Rather ridiculous since I would
> think the cspan channels have little or no copyrighted content).
> Getting that resolved by Comcast for the Family Channel took me three
> months of phone calls back and forth with Comcast. By the time it was
> sorted out, the show I wanted to see was long gone.
>
> For phone you pay extra, I use vonage which is cheaper than Comcast's
> version.
>
> Peter

I also have Comcast in MN.  I run a Silicon Dust hdhomerun prime, but I
also have a Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 Dual tuner cablecard receiver.
It's a usb device that sets itself up as a "network" device, and I've
had good luck with it in MythTV.  It's a very similar setup to the
hdhomerun prime.

There is still a few on Amazon I found, but I don't know if Hauppauge is
still making them.

Jeremy