MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a different
distro. Any recommendations?

One thing I don't want to lose is kiwi. Kiwi allows me to build my
frontend disc images on the backend and server them via AOE or write
them to the frontend disc and control whether the frontend boots from
AOE or disc from the backend. I never have to connect a keyboard or
mouse to the frontend. I believe Kiwi was developed on OpenSUSE but now
supports other distros.
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:07 AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know it better
> than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA and web
> server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've made other
> arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the backend just
> that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is at least
> someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're restrictive in
> terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE version
> without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd rather not.
> Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me access to
> MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a different
> distro. Any recommendations?

Well, I keep the Fedora packages up to date via RPM Fusion, and already
being used to a RPM based distro it would be an easier transition. Upgrades
between Fedora versions works way better than it used to 5+ years ago so
that's largely pain free as well.

One thing I don't want to lose is kiwi. Kiwi allows me to build my
> frontend disc images on the backend and server them via AOE or write
> them to the frontend disc and control whether the frontend boots from
> AOE or disc from the backend. I never have to connect a keyboard or
> mouse to the frontend. I believe Kiwi was developed on OpenSUSE but now
> supports other distros.

I've never used Kiwi but it appears to be available:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/kiwi

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know it better
> than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA and web
> server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've made other
> arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the backend just
> that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is at least
> someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're restrictive in
> terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE version
> without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd rather not.
> Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me access to
> MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a different
> distro. Any recommendations?
>
> One thing I don't want to lose is kiwi. Kiwi allows me to build my
> frontend disc images on the backend and server them via AOE or write
> them to the frontend disc and control whether the frontend boots from
> AOE or disc from the backend. I never have to connect a keyboard or
> mouse to the frontend. I believe Kiwi was developed on OpenSUSE but now
> supports other distros.

I started with Mythtv back when it was it's own distro, Mythbuntu. There
is still good support for any of the Ubuntu distros. V31 works fine on
18.04 or 20.04 LTS versions.

Jim A
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 31/08/2020 17:10, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:07 AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>
> I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know it better
> than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA and web
> server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've made other
> arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the backend just
> that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is at least
> someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're restrictive in
> terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE version
> without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd rather not.
> Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me access to
> MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a
> different
> distro. Any recommendations?
>

> Well, I keep the Fedora packages up to date via RPM Fusion, and already
> being used to a RPM based distro it would be an easier transition.
> Upgrades between Fedora versions works way better than it used to 5+
> years ago so that's largely pain free as well.

That sounds promising. So with the latest Fedora, could I install MythTV
29.1 and swap to 31 later?

Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:04 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> On 31/08/2020 17:10, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:07 AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> > <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
> >
> > I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know it
> better
> > than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA and web
> > server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've made other
> > arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the backend just
> > that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is at least
> > someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're restrictive
> in
> > terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE version
> > without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd rather not.
> > Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me access
> > MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a
> > different
> > distro. Any recommendations?
> >

> > Well, I keep the Fedora packages up to date via RPM Fusion, and already
> > being used to a RPM based distro it would be an easier transition.
> > Upgrades between Fedora versions works way better than it used to 5+
> > years ago so that's largely pain free as well.
>
> That sounds promising. So with the latest Fedora, could I install MythTV
> 29.1 and swap to 31 later?

Well, no I must have misread that... If you use Fedora you're pretty much
getting v31. If RPM Fusion had COPR like Fedora then producing alternative
package/versions would be possible.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 31/08/2020 17:39, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>
> I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know it better
> than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA and web
> server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've made other
> arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the backend just
> that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is at least
> someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're restrictive in
> terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE version
> without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd rather not.
> Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me access to
> MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a
> different
> distro. Any recommendations?
>
> I started with Mythtv back when it was it's own distro, Mythbuntu.
> There is still good support for any of the Ubuntu distros. V31 works
> fine on 18.04 or 20.04 LTS versions.

How about v29.1? Does Ubuntu offer a choice of MythTV versions?

Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 31/08/2020 18:10, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:04 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>
> On 31/08/2020 17:10, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:07 AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> <mailto:lists@glidos.net>
> > <mailto:lists@glidos.net <mailto:lists@glidos.net>>> wrote:
> >
> >     I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know
> it better
> >     than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA
> and web
> >     server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've
> made other
> >     arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the
> backend just
> >     that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is
> at least
> >     someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're
> restrictive in
> >     terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE
> version
> >     without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd
> rather not.
> >     Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me
> access to
> >     MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a
> >     different
> >     distro. Any recommendations?
> >

> > Well, I keep the Fedora packages up to date via RPM Fusion, and
> already
> > being used to a RPM based distro it would be an easier transition.
> > Upgrades between Fedora versions works way better than it used to 5+
> > years ago so that's largely pain free as well.
>
> That sounds promising. So with the latest Fedora, could I install
> MythTV
> 29.1 and swap to 31 later?
>

> Well, no I must have misread that... If you use Fedora you're pretty
> much getting v31. If RPM Fusion had COPR like Fedora then producing
> alternative package/versions would be possible.

Oh okay. Possibly OpenSUSE is more flexible than I thought. Each
OpenSUSE version offers several MythTV versions. Although I cannot for
the the latest OpenSUSE, I can usually update the distro, leaving MythTV
alone and then update MythTV later.

Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 1:20 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> On 31/08/2020 17:39, James Abernathy wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> > <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
> >
> > I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know it
> better
> > than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA and web
> > server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've made other
> > arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the backend just
> > that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is at least
> > someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're restrictive
> in
> > terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE version
> > without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd rather not.
> > Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me access
> > MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a
> > different
> > distro. Any recommendations?
> >
> > I started with Mythtv back when it was it's own distro, Mythbuntu.
> > There is still good support for any of the Ubuntu distros. V31 works
> > fine on 18.04 or 20.04 LTS versions.
>
> How about v29.1? Does Ubuntu offer a choice of MythTV versions?
>
> My understanding is that when Ubuntu forced a move to python3 only, that
forced a move in versions for mythtv. The release notes of each version of
mythtv will note that. So old versions of mythtv will not run on the latest
Ubuntu 20.04. If I remember my ancient history, I ran v28 and v29 on Ubuntu
14 and 16. I ran v29 on 18, then moved to v30, Upgraded to v31 on 18, the
ungraded to 20.04 still using v31,

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_31
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_30
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_29
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
> On 1 Sep 2020, at 1:18 am, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>> I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know it better
>> than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA and web
>> server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've made other
>> arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the backend just
>> that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is at least
>> someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're restrictive in
>> terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE version
>> without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd rather not.
>> Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me access to
>> MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a
>> different
>> distro. Any recommendations?
>> I started with Mythtv back when it was it's own distro, Mythbuntu. There is still good support for any of the Ubuntu distros. V31 works fine on 18.04 or 20.04 LTS versions.
>
> How about v29.1? Does Ubuntu offer a choice of MythTV versions?

Paul it is incredibly easy to build whatever you need:
Wiki->build from src
sudo zypper in python-xml ansible git (ansible fails if you dont do this)
git clone ansible as per wiki
run playbooks as per wiki
get the version you want
ie
git branch -a
probably
git checkout fixes/31
./configure
make
sudo make install

See my recent post on making mythweb work

That is it!
Mail me if you want to go this route and need help
James
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2020 05:21, jam wrote:

>> On 1 Sep 2020, at 1:18 am, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>>> I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know it better
>>> than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA and web
>>> server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've made other
>>> arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the backend just
>>> that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is at least
>>> someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're restrictive in
>>> terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE version
>>> without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd rather not.
>>> Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me access to
>>> MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a
>>> different
>>> distro. Any recommendations?
>>> I started with Mythtv back when it was it's own distro, Mythbuntu. There is still good support for any of the Ubuntu distros. V31 works fine on 18.04 or 20.04 LTS versions.
>>
>> How about v29.1? Does Ubuntu offer a choice of MythTV versions?
>
> Paul it is incredibly easy to build whatever you need:
> Wiki->build from src
> sudo zypper in python-xml ansible git (ansible fails if you dont do this)
> git clone ansible as per wiki
> run playbooks as per wiki
> get the version you want
> ie
> git branch -a
> probably
> git checkout fixes/31
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> See my recent post on making mythweb work
>
> That is it!
> Mail me if you want to go this route and need help

I hadn't realised it was quite that easy, but one problem I think I have
with building from source is I think I loose the use of kiwi for
creating my frontend disc images. I don't think kiwi copes with building
from source, although that is just an assumption I've made. I could ask
the devs.

I have wondered about creating my own packages. If building from source
is really that problem free, perhaps building packages wouldn't be that
hard. I have altered source packages before as a workaround, but not
tried building my own from scratch.
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
> [snip]

> I have wondered about creating my own packages. If building from source is really that problem free, perhaps building packages wouldn't be that hard. I have altered source packages before as a workaround, but not tried building my own from scratch.

Although building your own packages is ‘quite’ easy, you need to create a spec file and maybe rename your source dir.
Getting someones src rpm is a good intro but I find, in general, the spec files included are gravely complicated. They need not be. There are a number of rpm building tutorials.
For me I do not bother building rpm for mythtv (although I do for other packages), a simple make install does all.
James
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2020 09:14, jam wrote:

>> [snip]
>
>> I have wondered about creating my own packages. If building from source is really that problem free, perhaps building packages wouldn't be that hard. I have altered source packages before as a workaround, but not tried building my own from scratch.
>
> Although building your own packages is ‘quite’ easy, you need to create a spec file and maybe rename your source dir.
> Getting someones src rpm is a good intro but I find, in general, the spec files included are gravely complicated. They need not be. There are a number of rpm building tutorials.
> For me I do not bother building rpm for mythtv (although I do for other packages), a simple make install does all.
> James

That's partly what has put me off. I saw the complexity of other
people's spec files and thought it might be unavoidable. Sounds like I
should at least give it a try. I guess use of the build service is out:
I think things like mythtv are prohibited.
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2020 09:24, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> On 01/09/2020 09:14, jam wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>>> I have wondered about creating my own packages. If building from
>>> source is really that problem free, perhaps building packages
>>> wouldn't be that hard. I have altered source packages before as a
>>> workaround, but not tried building my own from scratch.
>>
>> Although building your own packages is ‘quite’ easy, you need to
>> create a spec file and maybe rename your source dir.
>> Getting someones src rpm is a good intro but I find, in general, the
>> spec files included are gravely complicated. They need not be. There
>> are a number of rpm building tutorials.
>> For me I do not bother building rpm for mythtv (although I do for
>> other packages), a simple make install does all.
>> James
>
> That's partly what has put me off. I saw the complexity of other
> people's spec files and thought it might be unavoidable. Sounds like I
> should at least give it a try. I guess use of the build service is out:
> I think things like mythtv are prohibited.

FWIW I have been using Gary Buhrmaster's build script to create sets of
rpm packages for some time now. I wouldn't want to create additional
demands on his time, but creating a new set of packages for, say, master
in Fedora 31 now has the command line (perhaps after a 'git pull') :

... rpm ] $ ionice -c3 ./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r
fedora-31-x86_64-rpmfusion_free

On my 10-year-old Core2duo machine that takes about 90 minutes. I build
there for el7 too, but there's a vpx conflict with el7/kde/plasma that
needs minor specfile edits. The build processes are done in clean
environments using mock.

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/blob/master/MythTV/rpm/README

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commits?author=garybuhrmaster

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging

John P
Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2020 10:58, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> Although building your own packages is ‘quite’ easy, you need to
>>> create a spec file and maybe rename your source dir.
>>> Getting someones src rpm is a good intro but I find, in general, the
>>> spec files included are gravely complicated. They need not be. There
>>> are a number of rpm building tutorials.
>>> For me I do not bother building rpm for mythtv (although I do for
>>> other packages), a simple make install does all.
>>> James
>>
>> That's partly what has put me off. I saw the complexity of other
>> people's spec files and thought it might be unavoidable. Sounds like I
>> should at least give it a try. I guess use of the build service is
>> out: I think things like mythtv are prohibited.
>>
> FWIW I have been using Gary Buhrmaster's build script to create sets of
> rpm packages for some time now.  I wouldn't want to create additional
> demands on his time, but creating a new set of packages for, say, master
> in Fedora 31 now has the command line (perhaps after a 'git pull') :
>
>   ... rpm ] $  ionice -c3 ./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r
> fedora-31-x86_64-rpmfusion_free
>
> On my 10-year-old Core2duo machine that takes about 90 minutes.  I build
> there for el7 too, but there's a vpx conflict with el7/kde/plasma that
> needs minor specfile edits.  The build processes are done in clean
> environments using mock.
>
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/blob/master/MythTV/rpm/README
>
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commits?author=garybuhrmaster
>
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging

That's interesting. I wonder if I could fork that and convert it to
OpenSUSE. Maybe I don't need to change distros.

Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2020 11:25, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 01/09/2020 10:58, John Pilkington wrote:

>> FWIW I have been using Gary Buhrmaster's build script to create sets
>> of rpm packages for some time now.  I wouldn't want to create
>> additional demands on his time, but creating a new set of packages
>> for, say, master in Fedora 31 now has the command line (perhaps after
>> a 'git pull') :
>>
>>    ... rpm ] $  ionice -c3 ./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r
>> fedora-31-x86_64-rpmfusion_free
>>
>> On my 10-year-old Core2duo machine that takes about 90 minutes.  I
>> build there for el7 too, but there's a vpx conflict with
>> el7/kde/plasma that needs minor specfile edits.  The build processes
>> are done in clean environments using mock.
>>
>> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/blob/master/MythTV/rpm/README
>>
>> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commits?author=garybuhrmaster
>>
>> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging
>
> That's interesting. I wonder if I could fork that and convert it to
> OpenSUSE. Maybe I don't need to change distros.

On my el7 box (which I don't use for these builds) these distros are
apparently covered. Just specifying the right .cfg could work.

ls /etc/mock | grep suse
opensuse-leap-15.1-aarch64.cfg
opensuse-leap-15.1-x86_64.cfg
opensuse-leap-15.2-aarch64.cfg
opensuse-leap-15.2-x86_64.cfg
opensuse-tumbleweed-aarch64.cfg
opensuse-tumbleweed-i586.cfg
opensuse-tumbleweed-ppc64.cfg
opensuse-tumbleweed-ppc64le.cfg
opensuse-tumbleweed-x86_64.cfg

Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
Am Dienstag, 1. September 2020, 13:16:52 CEST schrieb John Pilkington:
> On 01/09/2020 11:25, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> > On 01/09/2020 10:58, John Pilkington wrote:
> >> FWIW I have been using Gary Buhrmaster's build script to create sets
> >> of rpm packages for some time now. I wouldn't want to create
> >> additional demands on his time, but creating a new set of packages
> >> for, say, master in Fedora 31 now has the command line (perhaps after
> >> a 'git pull') :
> >>
> >> ... rpm ] $ ionice -c3 ./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r
> >> fedora-31-x86_64-rpmfusion_free
> >>
> >> On my 10-year-old Core2duo machine that takes about 90 minutes. I
> >> build there for el7 too, but there's a vpx conflict with
> >> el7/kde/plasma that needs minor specfile edits. The build processes
> >> are done in clean environments using mock.
> >>
> >> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/blob/master/MythTV/rpm/README
> >>
> >> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commits?author=garybuhrmaster
> >>
> >> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging
> >
> > That's interesting. I wonder if I could fork that and convert it to
> > OpenSUSE. Maybe I don't need to change distros.
>
> On my el7 box (which I don't use for these builds) these distros are
> apparently covered. Just specifying the right .cfg could work.
>
> ls /etc/mock | grep suse
> opensuse-leap-15.1-aarch64.cfg
> opensuse-leap-15.1-x86_64.cfg
> opensuse-leap-15.2-aarch64.cfg
> opensuse-leap-15.2-x86_64.cfg
> opensuse-tumbleweed-aarch64.cfg
> opensuse-tumbleweed-i586.cfg
> opensuse-tumbleweed-ppc64.cfg
> opensuse-tumbleweed-ppc64le.cfg
> opensuse-tumbleweed-x86_64.cfg

you don't need to change your distro, I build my own rpms for OpenSUSE for
years now.
I use the spec files from the Packman repo and modify it for mythtv-v31.

If you are interested, I can share you spec file.

Best regards
Beppo

Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2020 12:34, beppo wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 1. September 2020, 13:16:52 CEST schrieb John Pilkington:

>>> That's interesting. I wonder if I could fork that and convert it to
>>> OpenSUSE. Maybe I don't need to change distros.
>>
>> On my el7 box (which I don't use for these builds) these distros are
>> apparently covered. Just specifying the right .cfg could work.
>>
>> ls /etc/mock | grep suse
>> opensuse-leap-15.1-aarch64.cfg
>> opensuse-leap-15.1-x86_64.cfg
>> opensuse-leap-15.2-aarch64.cfg
>> opensuse-leap-15.2-x86_64.cfg
>> opensuse-tumbleweed-aarch64.cfg
>> opensuse-tumbleweed-i586.cfg
>> opensuse-tumbleweed-ppc64.cfg
>> opensuse-tumbleweed-ppc64le.cfg
>> opensuse-tumbleweed-x86_64.cfg

> Hi,
>
> you don't need to change your distro, I build my own rpms for OpenSUSE for
> years now.
> I use the spec files from the Packman repo and modify it for mythtv-v31.
>
> If you are interested, I can share you spec file.

This is excellent. I have a very clear way forward now, and two possible
sources for spec files.

Thank you so much to all the helpful people that have made comments.

Re: Best distribution for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2020 12:43, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 01/09/2020 12:34, beppo wrote:

>>> On my el7 box (which I don't use for these builds) these distros are
>>> apparently covered.  Just specifying the  right .cfg could work.
>>>
>>> ls /etc/mock | grep suse
>>> opensuse-leap-15.1-aarch64.cfg
>>> opensuse-leap-15.1-x86_64.cfg
>>> opensuse-leap-15.2-aarch64.cfg
>>> opensuse-leap-15.2-x86_64.cfg
>>> opensuse-tumbleweed-aarch64.cfg
>>> opensuse-tumbleweed-i586.cfg
>>> opensuse-tumbleweed-ppc64.cfg
>>> opensuse-tumbleweed-ppc64le.cfg
>>> opensuse-tumbleweed-x86_64.cfg

>> Hi,
>>
>> you don't need to change your distro, I build my own rpms for OpenSUSE
>> for
>> years now.
>> I use the spec files from the Packman repo and modify it for mythtv-v31.
>>
>> If you are interested, I can share you spec file.
>
> This is excellent. I have a very clear way forward now, and two possible
> sources for spec files.
>
> Thank you so much to all the helpful people that have made comments.

A few more comments:

I mentioned a 'git pull' That pulls in Gary's latest script. The
script itself pulls in the packages that it needs for the build. The
specified .cfg files for el7 or f31 get some packages from the epel
and/or rpmfusion repos. I don't know what the openSUSE versions of
/etc/mock will provide; you may need more than the base version.

Re: Packaging MythTV (was Best distribution for MythTV) [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2020 12:43, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 01/09/2020 12:34, beppo wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> you don't need to change your distro, I build my own rpms for OpenSUSE
>> for
>> years now.
>> I use the spec files from the Packman repo and modify it for mythtv-v31.
>>
>> If you are interested, I can share you spec file.
>
> This is excellent. I have a very clear way forward now, and two possible
> sources for spec files.
>
> Thank you so much to all the helpful people that have made comments.

And thank you again everyone who replied. Taking on bits of advice from
the various replies, I am now on v31 without changing distro and without
losing my use of kiwi to create front-end images.

I decided to go for the start-my-own-packaging-from-scratch option,
thinking that I may end up with a simpler spec file than the one that
packman uses, although I have to admit - as I work on it - I'm finding
many of the complications are necessary, and possibly almost all will
return if I wish my spec file to be of general use to others. There's
still the advantage that I can check into git the various stages so that
I have a record of what the various bits are for.

I didn't see a way to use the ansible playbook directly, but I cribbed
almost all my BuildRequires lines from perusal of the playbook source. I
seemed to need a few more for the jump from 29.1 to 31, but those I
found in some info that Beppo kindly sent to me.

I have a working system, but there are still some issues I'll need to
sort out long term:

1. I haven't added many Requires lines. Library dependencies seem to be
generated mostly automatically, but I guess I'll find others I need when
I try installing on a fresh system that hasn't previously run MythTV.

2. I currently generate a single package. At some state, I'll want to
break it up into smaller ones. (my frontend disc image is 200MB bigger
because of not having done so). The problem here is working out what
uses what. I don't want to just copy from another spec file, and I don't
want to spend hours looking for error messages of one component
reporting another missing. I'm wondering what other options there might
be to discover the dependency graph.

3. I'm not currently building the plugins. The build for these seems to
be a nightmare for packagers (if I'm understanding correctly). The
plugins build requires the core of mythtv to be both built and
installed. The packman spec file uses a work around I really rather not
copy. I'm considering using two package generation stages with two spec
files, the second using the source package from the first, but this may
not work and is inefficient as it involves building the core twice. I'm
wondering what other options there are... maybe changing the mythtv
source would be best.

Richard Show, I guess you must have run into all these issues. I'm
particularly interested to know if you have any incites.
Re: Packaging MythTV (was Best distribution for MythTV) [ In reply to ]
On 13/09/2020 12:59, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 01/09/2020 12:43, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> On 01/09/2020 12:34, beppo wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> you don't need to change your distro, I build my own rpms for
>>> OpenSUSE for
>>> years now.
>>> I use the spec files from the Packman repo and modify it for mythtv-v31.
>>>
>>> If you are interested, I can share you spec file.
>>
>> This is excellent. I have a very clear way forward now, and two
>> possible sources for spec files.
>>
>> Thank you so much to all the helpful people that have made comments.
>
> And thank you again everyone who replied. Taking on bits of advice from
> the various replies, I am now on v31 without changing distro and without
> losing my use of kiwi to create front-end images.
>
> I decided to go for the start-my-own-packaging-from-scratch option,
> thinking that I may end up with a simpler spec file than the one that
> packman uses, although I have to admit - as I work on it - I'm finding
> many of the complications are necessary, and possibly almost all will
> return if I wish my spec file to be of general use to others. There's
> still the advantage that I can check into git the various stages so that
> I have a record of what the various bits are for.
>
> I didn't see a way to use the ansible playbook directly, but I cribbed
> almost all my BuildRequires lines from perusal of the playbook source. I
> seemed to need a few more for the jump from 29.1 to 31, but those I
> found in some info that Beppo kindly sent to me.
>
> I have a working system, but there are still some issues I'll need to
> sort out long term:
>
> 1. I haven't added many Requires lines. Library dependencies seem to be
> generated mostly automatically, but I guess I'll find others I need when
> I try installing on a fresh system that hasn't previously run MythTV.
>
> 2. I currently generate a single package. At some state, I'll want to
> break it up into smaller ones. (my frontend disc image is 200MB bigger
> because of not having done so). The problem here is working out what
> uses what. I don't want to just copy from another spec file, and I don't
> want to spend hours looking for error messages of one component
> reporting another missing. I'm wondering what other options there might
> be to discover the dependency graph.
>
> 3. I'm not currently building the plugins. The build for these seems to
> be a nightmare for packagers (if I'm understanding correctly). The
> plugins build requires the core of mythtv to be both built and
> installed. The packman spec file uses a work around I really rather not
> copy. I'm considering using two package generation stages with two spec
> files, the second using the source package from the first, but this may
> not work and is inefficient as it involves building the core twice. I'm
> wondering what other options there are... maybe changing the mythtv
> source would be best.

I understand why you have taken that route, and it's good to hear about
your progress - but another comment seems appropriate.

This need to have MythTV both built and installed is handled in Gary's
script by using 'mock' in chain mode. There have been problems
historically but it's working now. mock also makes it possible to
cross-compile for other repos - but of course there are likely to be
differences in the names and properties of the packages that need to be
pulled in to do the builds, and the spec files will need to reflect that.

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/e4903001868e8317cfa5c9be34914e69fc6f802c

Re: Packaging MythTV (was Best distribution for MythTV) [ In reply to ]
On 13/09/2020 13:41, John Pilkington wrote:
> [...]
>> not copy. I'm considering using two package generation stages with two
>> spec files, the second using the source package from the first, but
>> this may not work and is inefficient as it involves building the core
>> twice. I'm wondering what other options there are... maybe changing
>> the mythtv source would be best.
>
> I understand why you have taken that route, and it's good to hear about
> your progress - but another comment seems appropriate.
>
> This need to have MythTV both built and installed is handled in Gary's
> script by using 'mock' in chain mode.  There have been problems
> historically but it's working now.  mock also makes it possible to
> cross-compile for other repos - but of course there are likely to be
> differences in the names and properties of the packages that need to be
> pulled in to do the builds, and the spec files will need to reflect that.

That's really interesting. Somehow, I'd forgotten about Gary's script.
What's most interesting to me is that it uses the approach of a second
spec file to build the plugins, relying on mythtv-devel. I was
considering doing that, but was worried it might not work or might be
"not the done thing" for package development. This proves it works and
legitimises the approach.

I'd forgotten the problem of the install phase potentially polluting the
build host, although it had occurred to me. Good to know that use of
mock can avoid that. For me, I may not need to, because I'm targetting a
local build service, which I think isolates the host.

Re: Packaging MythTV (was Best distribution for MythTV) [ In reply to ]
> On 13 Sep 2020, at 7:59 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>

> I didn't see a way to use the ansible playbook directly, but I cribbed almost all my BuildRequires lines from perusal of the playbook source. I seemed to need a few more for the jump from 29.1 to 31, but those I found in some info that Beppo kindly sent to me.

May I ask why? I'm not selling anything but I found a fresh install of Leap 15.1 or 15.2.
ADD PYTHON-XML and ansible worked flawlessly.

James
Re: Packaging MythTV (was Best distribution for MythTV) [ In reply to ]
On 14/09/2020 00:22, jam@tigger.ws wrote:

>> On 13 Sep 2020, at 7:59 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>>

>> I didn't see a way to use the ansible playbook directly, but I cribbed almost all my BuildRequires lines from perusal of the playbook source. I seemed to need a few more for the jump from 29.1 to 31, but those I found in some info that Beppo kindly sent to me.
>
> May I ask why? I'm not selling anything but I found a fresh install of Leap 15.1 or 15.2.
> ADD PYTHON-XML and ansible worked flawlessly.

Actually, that was a very loose comment. What I meant was: I considered
trying to use the playbook from within the spec file so as to avoid the
need for BuildRequires lines, but decided that likely wouldn't work
because permissions while building seem to disallow the creation of
files other than within the build, tmp, and current directories. I'd
definitely use the playbook if I were just building from source directly.

Even that may be wrong. I'm very new to the concepts of packaging.
Re: Packaging MythTV (was Best distribution for MythTV) [ In reply to ]
On 13/09/2020 15:26, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> [...]
>> be pulled in to do the builds, and the spec files will need to reflect
>> that.
>>
>> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/e4903001868e8317cfa5c9be34914e69fc6f802c
>>

> That's really interesting. Somehow, I'd forgotten about Gary's script.
> What's most interesting to me is that it uses the approach of a second
> spec file to build the plugins, relying on mythtv-devel. I was
> considering doing that, but was worried it might not work or might be
> "not the done thing" for package development. This proves it works and
> legitimises the approach.
>
> I'd forgotten the problem of the install phase potentially polluting the
> build host, although it had occurred to me. Good to know that use of
> mock can avoid that. For me, I may not need to, because I'm targetting a
> local build service, which I think isolates the host.

Thinking about this more, long term, I should try moving to Gary's
script. Either it will just work with OpenSUSE as is, or getting it
working will be of more general use to people than any bespoke solution
for a particular distro. At some stage, I hope to look at that.