Mailing List Archive

Problem with myth fill database...
It works when I run it manually, but not when it is run by mythbackend.

Mythweb status says this:

Last mythfilldatabase run started on Tue Aug 25 2020, 12:01 PM and ended on Tue Aug 25 2020, 12:01 PM. FAILED: XMLTV grabber
returned error code 1.
Suggested next mythfilldatabase run: Wed Aug 26 2020, 12:01 PM.
There's guide data until 2020-09-10 05:00:00 (15 days).

How do I go about debugging this?

I found this thread: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=2750

but it is two years old, and I can't seem to find the sd.xmltv file anywhere.

Background:

Running Mint 20 Cinnamon

MythTV version: 2.31.0+fixes.20200323.9579662cdc-0ubuntu1

Let me know what other info is needed.

Thanks.

Re: Problem with myth fill database... [ In reply to ]
On 8/26/20 12:11 AM, Douglas Peale wrote:
> It works when I run it manually, but not when it is run by mythbackend.
>
> Mythweb status says this:
>
> Last mythfilldatabase run started on Tue Aug 25 2020, 12:01 PM and ended on Tue Aug 25 2020, 12:01 PM. FAILED: XMLTV grabber
> returned error code 1.
> Suggested next mythfilldatabase run: Wed Aug 26 2020, 12:01 PM.
> There's guide data until 2020-09-10 05:00:00 (15 days).
>
> How do I go about debugging this?
>
> I found this thread: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=2750
>
> but it is two years old, and I can't seem to find the sd.xmltv file anywhere.
>

> Background:
>
> Running Mint 20 Cinnamon
>
> MythTV version: 2.31.0+fixes.20200323.9579662cdc-0ubuntu1
>
> Let me know what other info is needed.

sd.xmltv would be valid for a user that had a source named "sd".

You need to see what your source(s) are named and look for a
file with that/those names followed by .xmltv. The file will be
under the .mythtv directory (unless you/your distribution uses
the MYTHCONFDIR environmental variable.)

If it works as your user, then you've chosen to set things up
contrary to the XMLTV Wiki, which recommends setting things up
as the same user that runs the backend. AND when running manually,
running mythfilldatabase as that same user.

Some prefer to have links/copies of the <source name>.xmltv files (I'm
not in that camp.)

Look at this one: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480
which discusses both methods.

--
Bill
Re: Problem with myth fill database... [ In reply to ]
On 8/25/20 10:54 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 8/26/20 12:11 AM, Douglas Peale wrote:
>> It works when I run it manually, but not when it is run by mythbackend.
>>
>> Mythweb status says this:
>>
>> Last mythfilldatabase run started on Tue Aug 25 2020, 12:01 PM and ended on Tue Aug 25 2020, 12:01 PM. FAILED: XMLTV grabber
>> returned error code 1.
>> Suggested next mythfilldatabase run: Wed Aug 26 2020, 12:01 PM.
>> There's guide data until 2020-09-10 05:00:00 (15 days).
>>
>> How do I go about debugging this?
>>
>> I found this thread: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=2750
>>
>> but it is two years old, and I can't seem to find the sd.xmltv file anywhere.
>>

>> Background:
>>
>> Running Mint 20 Cinnamon
>>
>> MythTV version: 2.31.0+fixes.20200323.9579662cdc-0ubuntu1
>>
>> Let me know what other info is needed.
> sd.xmltv would be valid for a user that had a source named "sd".
>
> You need to see what your source(s) are named and look for a
> file with that/those names followed by .xmltv. The file will be
> under the .mythtv directory (unless you/your distribution uses
> the MYTHCONFDIR environmental variable.)
>
> If it works as your user, then you've chosen to set things up
> contrary to the XMLTV Wiki, which recommends setting things up
> as the same user that runs the backend. AND when running manually,
> running mythfilldatabase as that same user.
>
> Some prefer to have links/copies of the <source name>.xmltv files (I'm
> not in that camp.)
>
> Look at this one: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480
> which discusses both methods.

After fixing the ownership and putting the files where they belong, I'm now getting "XMLTV grabber returned error code 13"

A google search leads me here: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=129

Where at least one user is reporting that this is a normal return.

I'll have to watch the results for a few days to be able to tell if my schedule is being updated. It says I have 15 days at the
moment.

Re: Problem with myth fill database... [ In reply to ]
On 8/26/20 6:46 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:
> On 8/25/20 10:54 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 8/26/20 12:11 AM, Douglas Peale wrote:
>>> It works when I run it manually, but not when it is run by mythbackend.
>>>
>>> Mythweb status says this:
>>>
>>> Last mythfilldatabase run started on Tue Aug 25 2020, 12:01 PM and ended on Tue Aug 25 2020, 12:01 PM. FAILED: XMLTV grabber
>>> returned error code 1.
>>> Suggested next mythfilldatabase run: Wed Aug 26 2020, 12:01 PM.
>>> There's guide data until 2020-09-10 05:00:00 (15 days).
>>>
>>> How do I go about debugging this?
>>>
>>> I found this thread: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=2750
>>>
>>> but it is two years old, and I can't seem to find the sd.xmltv file anywhere.
>>>

>>> Background:
>>>
>>> Running Mint 20 Cinnamon
>>>
>>> MythTV version: 2.31.0+fixes.20200323.9579662cdc-0ubuntu1
>>>
>>> Let me know what other info is needed.
>> sd.xmltv would be valid for a user that had a source named "sd".
>>
>> You need to see what your source(s) are named and look for a
>> file with that/those names followed by .xmltv. The file will be
>> under the .mythtv directory (unless you/your distribution uses
>> the MYTHCONFDIR environmental variable.)
>>
>> If it works as your user, then you've chosen to set things up
>> contrary to the XMLTV Wiki, which recommends setting things up
>> as the same user that runs the backend. AND when running manually,
>> running mythfilldatabase as that same user.
>>
>> Some prefer to have links/copies of the <source name>.xmltv files (I'm
>> not in that camp.)
>>
>> Look at this one: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480
>> which discusses both methods.
>>

> After fixing the ownership and putting the files where they belong, I'm now getting "XMLTV grabber returned error code 13"
>
> A google search leads me here: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=129
>
> Where at least one user is reporting that this is a normal return.
>
> I'll have to watch the results for a few days to be able to tell if my schedule is being updated. It says I have 15 days at the
> moment.

I've got 18 days worth, 'til Sep 13 2020, which is typical.

It's useful to run the grabber itself to look for issues like the above.

Run mythfilldatabase -v system. Look for the line containing something
like:

tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --config-file '/home/mythtv/.mythtv/CABLE.xmltv' --output /tmp/mythblah

and run it from the command line (as user mythtv). Be sure to drop the --quiet
switch as above. Works for the non SQLite version too.

The /tmp/mythblah file won't be deleted in this case. You may want to remove
it manually.

--
Bill
Re: Problem with myth fill database... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 1:05 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> Run mythfilldatabase -v system.

If one is running a recent fixes/31 (or
master) build, it is often useful to run
with xmltv as an added verbosity:

mythfilldatabase --verbose general,xmltv

which should provide any output from the
grabber itself in the log file (grabbers can
fail in numerous ways, and the exit value
is typically "something bad happened").

I would suggest that defaulting to the
additional xmltv verbosity is likely a good
configuration setting for many people
(the additional log lines are typically few,
and if something bad happens (and
something bad will always happen) you
might get an early clue).
Re: Problem with myth fill database... [ In reply to ]
On 8/27/20 6:04 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 8/26/20 6:46 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:

>>> sd.xmltv would be valid for a user that had a source named "sd".
>>>
>>> You need to see what your source(s) are named and look for a
>>> file with that/those names followed by .xmltv. The file will be
>>> under the .mythtv directory (unless you/your distribution uses
>>> the MYTHCONFDIR environmental variable.)
>>>
>>> If it works as your user, then you've chosen to set things up
>>> contrary to the XMLTV Wiki, which recommends setting things up
>>> as the same user that runs the backend. AND when running manually,
>>> running mythfilldatabase as that same user.
>>>
>>> Some prefer to have links/copies of the <source name>.xmltv files (I'm
>>> not in that camp.)
>>>
>>> Look at this one: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480
>>> which discusses both methods.
>>>

>> After fixing the ownership and putting the files where they belong, I'm now getting "XMLTV grabber returned error code 13"
>>
>> A google search leads me here: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=129
>>
>> Where at least one user is reporting that this is a normal return.
>>
>> I'll have to watch the results for a few days to be able to tell if my schedule is being updated. It says I have 15 days at the
>> moment.
> I've got 18 days worth, 'til Sep 13 2020, which is typical.
>
> It's useful to run the grabber itself to look for issues like the above.
>
> Run mythfilldatabase -v system. Look for the line containing something
> like:
>
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --config-file '/home/mythtv/.mythtv/CABLE.xmltv' --output /tmp/mythblah
>
> and run it from the command line (as user mythtv). Be sure to drop the --quiet
> switch as above. Works for the non SQLite version too.
>
> The /tmp/mythblah file won't be deleted in this case. You may want to remove
> it manually.

I finally got a chance to do this.

I found that /home/mythtv/xmltv/tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache was owned by me instead of mythtv.

Once I fixed this, it seems to be working when I run it as user mythtv.

I'll know for sure tomorrow when MythTV tries to run it.

Thank you for your help.