What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a RPi4 running
the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?

Jim A.
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
> On 24 Aug 2020, at 10:44 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a RPi4 running the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?

Is mythtv light nothing more than the wiki 'building from src' 'rasperrry pi' ?
I built for a rockpi, which is a 6 core rapi like board with M2 slot.
Both the rapi config, with the 2 options that are no longer valid removed, and no options built fine.
Any GUI program core dumped. I have not yet finished troubleshooting.
James
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 6:27 PM jam@tigger.ws <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 24 Aug 2020, at 10:44 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a RPi4
> running the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?
>
> Is mythtv light nothing more than the wiki 'building from src' 'rasperrry
> pi' ?
> I built for a rockpi, which is a 6 core rapi like board with M2 slot.
> Both the rapi config, with the 2 options that are no longer valid removed,
> and no options built fine.
> Any GUI program core dumped. I have not yet finished troubleshooting.
> James

I had issues with ansible not working on 64 bit RPI OS so I tried without,
but still have some packages that could not be found. Also the options even
removed caused some errors and it wouldn't even start to build.

I'll try your way and see. Nothing critical, but my production
mythtbackend is all up to date on 20.04 and mythtv v31. I have one RPi4
(32) mythtv 31 backend working great, so now I need a new project. This
Covid quarintee sucks. No travel and no bars, so computer projects are all
I have. Maybe it's time to learn a new programming language. Not much use
for Fortran, COBOL, and IBM 360 assembler anymore.

JIm A
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
> On 25 Aug 2020, at 7:41 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 6:27 PM jam@tigger.ws <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

> > On 24 Aug 2020, at 10:44 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a RPi4 running the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?
>
> Is mythtv light nothing more than the wiki 'building from src' 'rasperrry pi' ?
> I built for a rockpi, which is a 6 core rapi like board with M2 slot.
> Both the rapi config, with the 2 options that are no longer valid removed, and no options built fine.
> Any GUI program core dumped. I have not yet finished troubleshooting.
> James
>
> I had issues with ansible not working on 64 bit RPI OS so I tried without, but still have some packages that could not be found. Also the options even removed caused some errors and it wouldn't even start to build.
>
> I'll try your way and see. Nothing critical, but my production mythtbackend is all up to date on 20.04 and mythtv v31. I have one RPi4 (32) mythtv 31 backend working great, so now I need a new project. This Covid quarintee sucks. No travel and no bars, so computer projects are all I have. Maybe it's time to learn a new programming language. Not much use for Fortran, COBOL, and IBM 360 assembler anymore.

Jim
what I did

wiki->build-from-src
dependacies without ansible
build

IIRC I needed to prune 2 or three items from the list. If you struggle I’ll use dpkg to generate a list of what was installed.
James
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On 8/24/20 10:25 PM, jam wrote:

>> On 25 Aug 2020, at 7:41 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 6:27 PM jam@tigger.ws <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>>

>>> On 24 Aug 2020, at 10:44 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a RPi4 running the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?
>> Is mythtv light nothing more than the wiki 'building from src' 'rasperrry pi' ?
>> I built for a rockpi, which is a 6 core rapi like board with M2 slot.
>> Both the rapi config, with the 2 options that are no longer valid removed, and no options built fine.
>> Any GUI program core dumped. I have not yet finished troubleshooting.
>> James
>>
>> I had issues with ansible not working on 64 bit RPI OS so I tried without, but still have some packages that could not be found. Also the options even removed caused some errors and it wouldn't even start to build.
>>
>> I'll try your way and see. Nothing critical, but my production mythtbackend is all up to date on 20.04 and mythtv v31. I have one RPi4 (32) mythtv 31 backend working great, so now I need a new project. This Covid quarintee sucks. No travel and no bars, so computer projects are all I have. Maybe it's time to learn a new programming language. Not much use for Fortran, COBOL, and IBM 360 assembler anymore.
> Jim
> what I did
>
> wiki->build-from-src
> dependacies without ansible
> build
>
> IIRC I needed to prune 2 or three items from the list. If you struggle I’ll use dpkg to generate a list of what was installed.
> James

James,

libcrystalhd-dev and libmysqlclient-dev were the 2 packages that ansible
couldn't find that caused me to do dependencies without ansible, but
those 2 packages had to also be removed from that list.

I also needed qt5-default.

I ran ./configure --disable-vdpau --disable-vaapi --enable-opengl

It built without error after that.  I can run mythfrontend --version
fine, but haven't tried beyond that.  Tomorrow, I'll add mythweb, mysql
database and put in the systemd services to start and stop the backend.

I'll update with what I get tomorrow.

Jim A

Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
Hi

> libcrystalhd-dev and libmysqlclient-dev were the 2 packages that ansible couldn't find that caused me to do dependencies without ansible, but those 2 packages had to also be removed from that list.
>
> I also needed qt5-default.
>
> I ran ./configure --disable-vdpau --disable-vaapi --enable-opengl
>
> It built without error after that. I can run mythfrontend --version fine, but haven't tried beyond that. Tomorrow, I'll add mythweb, mysql database and put in the systemd services to start and stop the backend.
>
> I'll update with what I get tomorrow.

dvr@linaro-alip:~$ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v31.0-84-gfb389f2100
MythTV Branch : fixes/31
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 31.20200101-1
QT Version : 5.7.1
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_gnutls using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_egl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_egl using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

the unedited list http://tigger.ws/downloads/list

dvr@linaro-alip:~$ uname -a
Linux linaro-alip 4.4.154-90-rockchip-ga14f6502e045 #22 SMP Tue Jul 30 10:32:28 UTC 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

James
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On 8/24/20 10:53 PM, jam wrote:
> Hi
>
>> libcrystalhd-dev and libmysqlclient-dev were the 2 packages that ansible couldn't find that caused me to do dependencies without ansible, but those 2 packages had to also be removed from that list.
>>
>> I also needed qt5-default.
>>
>> I ran ./configure --disable-vdpau --disable-vaapi --enable-opengl
>>
>> It built without error after that. I can run mythfrontend --version fine, but haven't tried beyond that. Tomorrow, I'll add mythweb, mysql database and put in the systemd services to start and stop the backend.
>>
>> I'll update with what I get tomorrow.
>
> dvr@linaro-alip:~$ mythfrontend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v31.0-84-gfb389f2100
> MythTV Branch : fixes/31
> Network Protocol : 91
> Library API : 31.20200101-1
> QT Version : 5.7.1
> Options compiled in:
> linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_gnutls using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_egl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_egl using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
>

> the unedited list http://tigger.ws/downloads/list
>
> dvr@linaro-alip:~$ uname -a
> Linux linaro-alip 4.4.154-90-rockchip-ga14f6502e045 #22 SMP Tue Jul 30 10:32:28 UTC 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux
>
> James

For comparison:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v31.0-85-gd3088629de
MythTV Branch : fixes/31
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 31.20200101-1
QT Version : 5.11.3
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire
using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr
using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_gnutls
using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl using_egl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus
using_taglib using_v4l2 using_v4l2prime using_x11
using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_profiletype
using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_drm using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_egl using_drm
using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 5.4.51-v8+ #1333 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 10 16:58:35 BST
2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Jim A

Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:11 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire
> using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr
> using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_gnutls
> using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg
> using_opengl using_egl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus
> using_taglib using_v4l2 using_v4l2prime using_x11
> using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_profiletype
> using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_drm using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2
> using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_egl using_drm
> using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
>
> pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
> Linux raspberrypi 5.4.51-v8+ #1333 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 10 16:58:35 BST

A buddy of mine uses rPi(s) in a product he sells. I have found Arch Linux
to be a very good platform for packages because of their AUR repo. Ubuntu
is also now available on them. Have either of you tried those? Do you
have a SATA adapter for faster storage, or just using the frontend? From
Jims note about mythweb I assume it is a BE/FE combo.

Jim - I also installed Lineage on mine a couple weeks ago, but the very
frustrating mouse/bt keyboard support quickly made me drop that project on
the floor before I ever even installed MythTV on it.

-Greg
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 6:37 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> A buddy of mine uses rPi(s) in a product he sells. I have found Arch
> Linux to be a very good platform for packages because of their AUR repo.
> Ubuntu is also now available on them. Have either of you tried those? Do
> you have a SATA adapter for faster storage, or just using the frontend?
> From Jims note about mythweb I assume it is a BE/FE combo.
>
> Jim - I also installed Lineage on mine a couple weeks ago, but the very
> frustrating mouse/bt keyboard support quickly made me drop that project on
> the floor before I ever even installed MythTV on it.
>
> -Greg

Greg,

I have tried Ubuntu 64 bit on RPI4, but didn't get Mythtv working.
However, I just got Mythtv combo working on RPI OS 64 bit.

Here's what I did. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I couldn't use
ansible and a few packages had to be removed or added.
It built clean and installed in /usr/local/bin.

From there I cheated big time by using pi-mythbackend-helper.sh from
https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils.
It set up mariadb, user mythtv, mythconverg, mythbackend service XMLTV,
etc. It worked fine except it assumes that your mythbackend is in /usr/bin
and not /usr/local/bin. So once I fixed the backend systemd service it
worked as expected. The frontend also worked and since all my video to
this point is OTA ATSC USA HD TV, I use opengl software decoding and
deinterlacing.

It seems to work just like the RPI4 on the 32 bit stuff, but since I'm
picky about my video quality, I don't use mythfrontends on RPi4 around the
house. It works great as a backend though and I use either FireTV 4K or
Shield TV as frontends.

JIm A
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 6:37 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> A buddy of mine uses rPi(s) in a product he sells. I have found Arch
> Linux to be a very good platform for packages because of their AUR repo.
> Ubuntu is also now available on them. Have either of you tried those? Do
> you have a SATA adapter for faster storage, or just using the frontend?
> From Jims note about mythweb I assume it is a BE/FE combo.
>
> Greg, I forgot your questions about SATA adapters. I've updated all my
RPI4's to have the latest bootloader that can USB boot. So when I
installed the RPI OS (64) beta, I updated it fully and used the Accessory
SD copier program to copy the SD to a USB3 connected SATA HD. I need to buy
another SATA SSD to judge performance because I'm only using an old WD Blue
2.5 HD right now. I use the Eluteng USB3 to SATA adapter because it's cheap
and uses the known to work ASMedia chip.(
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716JKJ68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
)
It's $7.99 right now.

Jim A
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:08 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 6:37 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> A buddy of mine uses rPi(s) in a product he sells. I have found Arch
>> Linux to be a very good platform for packages because of their AUR repo.
>> Ubuntu is also now available on them. Have either of you tried those? Do
>> you have a SATA adapter for faster storage, or just using the frontend?
>> From Jims note about mythweb I assume it is a BE/FE combo.
>>
>> Greg, I forgot your questions about SATA adapters. I've updated all my
> RPI4's to have the latest bootloader that can USB boot. So when I
> installed the RPI OS (64) beta, I updated it fully and used the Accessory
> SD copier program to copy the SD to a USB3 connected SATA HD. I need to buy
> another SATA SSD to judge performance because I'm only using an old WD Blue
> 2.5 HD right now. I use the Eluteng USB3 to SATA adapter because it's cheap
> and uses the known to work ASMedia chip.(
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716JKJ68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
> )
> It's $7.99 right now.
>
> Jim A

Thanks for the info Jim. I'll play with it this weekend again, but it is
just tinkering. I have plenty or compute power for my backend already with
a NFS backend, but it is always fun to play around with this stuff :)
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 8:52 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:08 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 6:37 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> A buddy of mine uses rPi(s) in a product he sells. I have found Arch
>>> Linux to be a very good platform for packages because of their AUR repo.
>>> Ubuntu is also now available on them. Have either of you tried those? Do
>>> you have a SATA adapter for faster storage, or just using the frontend?
>>> From Jims note about mythweb I assume it is a BE/FE combo.
>>>
>>> Greg, I forgot your questions about SATA adapters. I've updated all my
>> RPI4's to have the latest bootloader that can USB boot. So when I
>> installed the RPI OS (64) beta, I updated it fully and used the Accessory
>> SD copier program to copy the SD to a USB3 connected SATA HD. I need to buy
>> another SATA SSD to judge performance because I'm only using an old WD Blue
>> 2.5 HD right now. I use the Eluteng USB3 to SATA adapter because it's cheap
>> and uses the known to work ASMedia chip.(
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716JKJ68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>> )
>> It's $7.99 right now.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> Thanks for the info Jim. I'll play with it this weekend again, but it is
> just tinkering. I have plenty or compute power for my backend already with
> a NFS backend, but it is always fun to play around with this stuff :)

Certainly understand the tinkering. Last week I had to refinish a table for
my son, but was tired of scrubbing stain off my hands. No back to mysql
tables :-)

I have completed the Mythtv combo on RPI OS 64 bits. The key is get the
latest beta and updates for it. Then follow the Build from Source wiki.
Can't use ansible. need to force the install part to ./usr/bin to make
things easier. Then use the pi-mythbackend-setup.sh from Mike B.

I now have backend, and frontend, running with XMLTV using
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite as my grabber. The quality of the video for mpeg2
OTA using the software only opengl on the RPI4 is working pretty good right
now on fixes/31 v31.0-85-...

Jim A
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:44 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a RPi4 running
> the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?
>
> Jim A.

Now that this is complete I've listed the instructions I used below:

1. Use raspberry imager to install RPI OS 64 beta on SDcard
2. Boot and fully update and reboot
3. Use SD card copy accessory to copy SD to usb ssd
4. Boot ssd (this assumes you've installed the USB bootloader on RPI4
eeprom)
5. Setup udev rules for ssd and enable/start fstrim.timer
6. Setup to auto login console using raspi-config
7. Get pi-utils (https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils)
8. Build script for non-ansible dependencies omitting libcrystalhd-dev
and libmysqlclient-dev
9. Run above script
10. sudo apt install qt5-default
11. Follow 'build from source' to get mythtv (
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source)
12. Configure using: ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-vdpau
--disable-vaapi --enable-opengl
13. make -j 5
14. sudo make install
15. Run pi-utils/pi-mythbackend-setup.sh
16. Reboot
17. Run pi-utils/run_mythsetup.sh and setup backend as usual.
18. run pi-utils/run_mythfrontend.sh when you want a frontend and
configure as usual.

I made sure mythweb was working and I installed xmltv as user 'mythtv' per
the wiki

Jim A
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:22 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:44 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a RPi4 running
>> the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?
>>
>> Jim A.

James, did you see any mpeg2 playback improvements? Thanks for sharing.

Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On 8/25/20 7:28 PM, Monkey Pet wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:22 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:44 AM James Abernathy
> <jfabernathy@gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a
> RPi4 running the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?
>
> Jim A.
>

> James, did you see any mpeg2 playback improvements? Thanks for sharing.

It's hard to say. It did look good but it maybe because by building from
source I'm at fixes/31 v31-86. So building from source on 32bits might
be the same improvements. Basically, this was a test to see what I could
do just playing.

I'm also trying it with ubuntu 20.04 64bits on rpi4.  it built and
works, but can't run the frontend. It seems to lose the keyboard when
mythfrontend starts. Something for tomorrow.

Jim A
Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:23 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:44 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a RPi4 running
>> the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?
>>
>> Jim A.
>>

> Now that this is complete I've listed the instructions I used below:
>

> 1. Use raspberry imager to install RPI OS 64 beta on SDcard
> 2. Boot and fully update and reboot
> 3. Use SD card copy accessory to copy SD to usb ssd
> 4. Boot ssd (this assumes you've installed the USB bootloader on RPI4
> eeprom)
> 5. Setup udev rules for ssd and enable/start fstrim.timer
> 6. Setup to auto login console using raspi-config
> 7. Get pi-utils (https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils)
> 8. Build script for non-ansible dependencies omitting libcrystalhd-dev
> and libmysqlclient-dev
> 9. Run above script
> 10. sudo apt install qt5-default
> 11. Follow 'build from source' to get mythtv (
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source)

Not sure if you run linux on your workstation, but you can run Qemu on it
and create an ARM guest (same guest OS as raspbian, etc) to compile all the
software and then just copy the packages over. I know my laptop is leaps
and bounds faster than the Pi. Compiling MythTV may not be too slow, but
compiling kernels, etc - you can see a great speedup. Also, using distcc
will greatly improve speed. If you cannot tell, I hate waiting on
computers :)

Just food for thought.

Re: Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits [ In reply to ]
On 8/27/20 8:14 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:

> Not sure if you run linux on your workstation, but you can run Qemu on
> it and create an ARM guest (same guest OS as raspbian, etc) to compile
> all the software and then just copy the packages over.  I know my
> laptop is leaps and bounds faster than the Pi.  Compiling MythTV may
> not be too slow, but compiling kernels, etc - you can see a great
> speedup.  Also, using distcc will greatly improve speed.  If you
> cannot tell, I hate waiting on computers :)
>
> Just food for thought.

I guess that's something that you can't do with virtualbox, which I
use.  I'll have to try that because it might be fun.  I don't care about
waiting for computers because I'm retired and I have many to attend to.

Besides, while my code is compiling I can go get a shot and a beer :-)

My son has a tee shirt he wears to work that says, "I'm not goofing off;
my code's compiling"

thanks for the tip on Qemu.

Jim A