Mailing List Archive

Mythtv 31 won't configure/compile error in Debian 10
Getting a new install going on Debian 10 / Stable.

Following the source install instructions like i have always.

Installed the full list of dependencies.  No issues there.

Get to the ./configure step.  It goes off in the background, presumably
testing for my dependencies.

Comes back with ERROR:  can not find libbluray.

I did install the bluray library.  I double checked.  Still says the
same thing.

I checked config.ep, all the way at the end, i find it exits with the
above error, but it's failing on

udev_new call.  udev-dev is installed.  Where do i look for the problem
here?

Here's the relevant chunk of config.ep:

ccache gcc -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -DPIC -std=c11 -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC
-pthread -c -o /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.o /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.c
gcc -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,noexecstack -o /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test
/tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.o -pthread -pthread -lsamplerate
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.o: in function `check_udev_new':
test.c:(.text+0x3): undefined reference to `udev_new'
ERROR: can not find libbluray.

Re: Mythtv 31 won't configure/compile error in Debian 10 [ In reply to ]
>>> Comes back with ERROR: can not find libbluray.

I spun up a Debian 10 (Buster) VM to test with.

I followed the below page to use Ansible to install the dependencies:

https://github.com/MythTV/ansible

I used git to grab the latest 31/fixes

git clone -b fixes/31 git://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git

I used the below compile line

./configure --disable-distcc --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree --disable-joystick-menu --enable-libxvid --enable-libmp3lame --disable-libcec

Compile completed successfully.

I did not run it, since I'm still on Fixes/29

Doug
Re: Mythtv 31 won't configure/compile error in Debian 10 [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/20 8:25 PM, Mark wrote:
> This worked, with the odd artifact that i had to run the configuration
> and build with sudo.

I did not have that issue, everything was done under my normal user and
then the make install was done under root.

Doug

Re: Mythtv 31 won't configure/compile error in Debian 10 [ In reply to ]
On 8/12/20 5:45 AM, Doug Lytle wrote:

> On 8/11/20 8:25 PM, Mark wrote:
>> This worked, with the odd artifact that i had to run the configuration and build with sudo.

From the source directory:

find . ! -user $USER -l

Best guess? At some time make was run by root.
mythffmpeg and mythprobe will probably show up,
but ignore them.

--
Bill
Re: Mythtv 31 won't configure/compile error in Debian 10 [ In reply to ]
---- On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 13:00:11 +0100 Mark <fairlane@springcom.com> wrote ----
> Getting a new install going on Debian 10 / Stable.
>
> Following the source install instructions like i have always.
>
> Installed the full list of dependencies. No issues there.
>
> Get to the ./configure step. It goes off in the background, presumably
> testing for my dependencies.
>
> Comes back with ERROR: can not find libbluray.
>
> I did install the bluray library. I double checked. Still says the
> same thing.
>
> I checked config.ep, all the way at the end, i find it exits with the
> above error, but it's failing on
>
> udev_new call. udev-dev is installed. Where do i look for the problem
> here?
>
> Here's the relevant chunk of config.ep:
>
> ccache gcc -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
> -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -DPIC -std=c11 -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC
> -pthread -c -o /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.o /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.c
> gcc -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,noexecstack -o /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test
> /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.o -pthread -pthread -lsamplerate
> /usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.o: in function `check_udev_new':
> test.c:(.text+0x3): undefined reference to `udev_new'
> ERROR: can not find libbluray.

i'm unfamiliar with debian, but when i see errors like that in a Centos env, i usually fix it with the -devel package (so libbluray-devel in this case); afterall your 'developing' a source code build.
fwiw i have found missing packages in the fedora/centos section of the ansible playbook in the past (and submitted a fix) so while it's a very good tool to help setup your system, don't treat it as 100% perfect.
Re: Mythtv 31 won't configure/compile error in Debian 10 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 2:55 PM <veehexx@zoho.com> wrote:

> ---- On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 13:00:11 +0100 Mark <fairlane@springcom.com>
> wrote ----
> > Getting a new install going on Debian 10 / Stable.
> >
> > Following the source install instructions like i have always.
> >
> > Installed the full list of dependencies. No issues there.
> >
> > Get to the ./configure step. It goes off in the background, presumably
> > testing for my dependencies.
> >
> > Comes back with ERROR: can not find libbluray.
> >
> > I did install the bluray library. I double checked. Still says the
> > same thing.
> >
> > I checked config.ep, all the way at the end, i find it exits with the
> > above error, but it's failing on
> >
> > udev_new call. udev-dev is installed. Where do i look for the problem
> > here?
> >
> > Here's the relevant chunk of config.ep:
> >
> > ccache gcc -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
> > -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
> > -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -DPIC -std=c11 -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC
> > -pthread -c -o /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.o /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.c
> > gcc -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,noexecstack -o /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test
> > /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.o -pthread -pthread -lsamplerate
> > /usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ffconf.SSOeY3sp/test.o: in function `check_udev_new':
> > test.c:(.text+0x3): undefined reference to `udev_new'
> > collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> > ERROR: can not find libbluray.
> >

> i'm unfamiliar with debian, but when i see errors like that in a Centos
> env, i usually fix it with the -devel package (so libbluray-devel in this
> case); afterall your 'developing' a source code build.
> fwiw i have found missing packages in the fedora/centos section of the
> ansible playbook in the past (and submitted a fix) so while it's a very
> good tool to help setup your system, don't treat it as 100% perfect.

I build my own mythtv on debian stable and have good success using the
'build-debs.sh' script as instructed in the wiki:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian