back in the recording and when I do the video plays perfectly where it had
the jumpy problem. It will play fine until about 14-15 minutes from then
and repeats.

This does not happen on the FireTV or any x86 PC frontend. I have not
tested this on a RPI4 yet but will.

I thought the next test should be the 32 bit version on the Shield if that
is allowed?

Jim A
Re: Android 32 vs 64 bit mythtv-frontend apk? [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/20 12:03 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
> I've been running the 32 bit version of Android mythtv-frontend on my
> Fire TV 4K and the 64 bit version on my Shield TV.  The question is
> why and could I run the 32 bit version on the Shield TV?
>
> The reason for the question is I'm having a frontend problem on the
> Shield TV that is  not happening on the Fire TV 4K.
>
> On the  Shield TV at about 14-15 minutes of watching a recording
> without any buttons or keys being touched the video starts getting
> jumpy.  I can video it with my cellphone and post it if needed.  Since
> this was a recording of the PGA golf Championship, jumpy is easy to
> describe. Watching the ball roll. instead of a smooth roll, you see
> the ball move to new locations without rolling.I can fix this by using
> the left arrow to skip back in the recording and when I do the video
> plays perfectly where it had the jumpy problem.  It will play fine
> until about 14-15 minutes from then and repeats.
>
> This does not  happen on the FireTV or any x86 PC frontend.  I have
> not tested this on a RPI4 yet but will.
>
> I thought the next test should be the 32 bit  version on the Shield if
> that is allowed?
>
> Jim A

I took a chance and did delete the 64bit version of mythfrontend from my
Shield TV and installed the 32bit version
(mythfrontend-20200716-arm-v31.0-79-g89d1991ef2.apk).  It worked, but
the problem still exists.

So it a Shield TV problem (2017 version hardware) regardless of 32 or 64
bit apk.  I've always thought the Shield TV had a better picture than
the FireTV 4K but I'd love to eliminate this problem short of buying
another FireTV 4K

Ideas on setting differences for the Shield TV?

Jim A

Re: Android 32 vs 64 bit mythtv-frontend apk? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 1:19 PM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/20 12:03 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
> > I've been running the 32 bit version of Android mythtv-frontend on my
> > Fire TV 4K and the 64 bit version on my Shield TV. The question is
> > why and could I run the 32 bit version on the Shield TV?
> >
> > The reason for the question is I'm having a frontend problem on the
> > Shield TV that is not happening on the Fire TV 4K.
> >
> > On the Shield TV at about 14-15 minutes of watching a recording
> > without any buttons or keys being touched the video starts getting
> > jumpy. I can video it with my cellphone and post it if needed. Since
> > this was a recording of the PGA golf Championship, jumpy is easy to
> > describe. Watching the ball roll. instead of a smooth roll, you see
> > the ball move to new locations without rolling.I can fix this by using
> > the left arrow to skip back in the recording and when I do the video
> > plays perfectly where it had the jumpy problem. It will play fine
> > until about 14-15 minutes from then and repeats.
> >
> > This does not happen on the FireTV or any x86 PC frontend. I have
> > not tested this on a RPI4 yet but will.
> >
> > I thought the next test should be the 32 bit version on the Shield if
> > that is allowed?
> >
> > Jim A
> >
> I took a chance and did delete the 64bit version of mythfrontend from my
> Shield TV and installed the 32bit version
> (mythfrontend-20200716-arm-v31.0-79-g89d1991ef2.apk). It worked, but
> the problem still exists.
>
> So it a Shield TV problem (2017 version hardware) regardless of 32 or 64
> bit apk. I've always thought the Shield TV had a better picture than
> the FireTV 4K but I'd love to eliminate this problem short of buying
> another FireTV 4K
>
> Ideas on setting differences for the Shield TV?
>
> Jim A
>
> So maybe I have a fix. I removed the 32 bit and reinstalled the 64 bit
version. But I also noticed I only was using 6GB of my 12GB internal
storage. So I figured why not remove that 128GB USB flash drive. So I
logically removed that drive and rebooted the Shield TV.

The problem has gone away completely. So the question is could a bad or
marginal USB drive in a Shield TV be used by the system or mythfrontend for
temporary storage or cache that might affect performance?

Jim A