Mailing List Archive

The state of things in Mythtv frontends on Android
I've noticed subtle changes for the better with the mythtv frontend and
leanfront frontend over the last few months. I have a Shield TV circa
2017 and my wife uses a FireTV 4k.  I play with both to make sure we get
the best picture. For the Shield TV I have it connected to a UHD 4K60 TV
so I get picture improvements even on 1080i/720P content.

I used to say leanfront was the best picture you could get but I think
the mythtv-frontend on Android has improved to the point I'm not saying
that anymore. Pretty close to equal in my eyes.

It was really obvious today on watching live TV with both apps on both
devices. I was watching the Stanley Cup playoffs on the NBC OTA station
and they were broadcasting in 1080i mpeg2 format. So the android devices
were using software OpenGL to render and de-interlace. I really studied
the puck movement on long fast shots. Very clear. I know that to be an
issue on streaming services like SlingTV which was airing Hockey last
night and the puck looked like multiple greyed out circles moving
together down the ice.

I also have a Core i7 PC with an Nvidia GT1030 card connected to the
same TV.  Mythtv is no better on that than the Shield TV.

I know my eyes are old and I drink too much, but it's all looking good
to me :-)

Thanks for the hard work to the developer. v31 had come a long way.

Jim A

Re: The state of things in Mythtv frontends on Android [ In reply to ]
On 08/08/2020 23:39, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> I also have a Core i7 PC with an Nvidia GT1030 card connected to the
> same TV.  Mythtv is no better on that than the Shield TV.

Some time ago it looked to me as if software decoding on a fast
multicore processor was smoother than nvdec with a GT 710. Have you
tried it with that box?

Re: The state of things in Mythtv frontends on Android [ In reply to ]
On 8/8/20 7:00 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 08/08/2020 23:39, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>

>> I also have a Core i7 PC with an Nvidia GT1030 card connected to the
>> same TV.  Mythtv is no better on that than the Shield TV.
>
> Some time ago it looked to me as if software decoding on a fast
> multicore processor was smoother than nvdec with a GT 710.  Have you
> tried it with that box?
>
>> I know my eyes are old and I drink too much, but it's all looking
>> good to me :-)
>>
>> Thanks for the hard work to the developer. v31 had come a long way.
>>
>> Jim A

I just tried software only on an old Sandy Bridge Core i7, the one with
the GT1030 in it.  I gave it 6 cores. I could not tell any difference.
I originally put in the NV cards because those systems didn't cut it
with Intel GFX, I never tried Software only then.

Bottom line I can't see any difference on my PC vs. Nvidia Shield TV.
Which is Great.

Jim A