Mailing List Archive

Mythfrontend on Raspberry 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 (32bit)
So I'm really bored today and recently discovered that the Raspbian Imager
can create an SD card with Ubuntu 20.04 either 32 or 64 bits.

Turns out it's the server version, no desktop environment.

I thought why not try to install mythfrontend on it. I first tried
mythtv-light and it would not install due to some dependencies. So then I
tried:
sudo apt install mythtv-mythfrontend; which did install. I rebooted and
noticed that it had installed a limited ubuntu desktop with just a few apps
including mythfrontend.

So I ran it and it worked. I picked the same audio I'd pick for the
raspbian version and for Video, I didn't see MMAL, so I picked V4L2 and set
up to do standard, 4 CPUs and opengl.

I'm surprised that it worked. The video isn't bad particularly since I'm
running mythfrontend on top of a desktop environment.

I tried setting the default boot to multi-user and rebooting without a
desktop but I couldn't get mythfrontend to run using:

QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend

It couldn't find a drm device or something.

Also it ran the mythfrontend version from March while the x86_64 version is
up to an August version.

Anyway it's interesting what I've stumbled on.

Jim A
Re: Mythfrontend on Raspberry 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 (32bit) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 12:13 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So I'm really bored today and recently discovered that the Raspbian Imager
> can create an SD card with Ubuntu 20.04 either 32 or 64 bits.
>
> Turns out it's the server version, no desktop environment.
>
> I thought why not try to install mythfrontend on it. I first tried
> mythtv-light and it would not install due to some dependencies. So then I
> tried:
> sudo apt install mythtv-mythfrontend; which did install. I rebooted and
> noticed that it had installed a limited ubuntu desktop with just a few apps
> including mythfrontend.
>
> So I ran it and it worked. I picked the same audio I'd pick for the
> raspbian version and for Video, I didn't see MMAL, so I picked V4L2 and set
> up to do standard, 4 CPUs and opengl.
>
> I'm surprised that it worked. The video isn't bad particularly since I'm
> running mythfrontend on top of a desktop environment.
>
> I tried setting the default boot to multi-user and rebooting without a
> desktop but I couldn't get mythfrontend to run using:
>
> QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend
>
> It couldn't find a drm device or something.
>
> Also it ran the mythfrontend version from March while the x86_64 version
> is up to an August version.
>
> Anyway it's interesting what I've stumbled on.
>
> Jim A

If you have the 4GB Pi, I would recommend loading Android on it - Lineage
OS has a port for it on XDA. That gives you a lot more options for other
players.

Note: I have not tried this yet, but plan to as soon as I get my other
Android TV device working.
Re: Mythfrontend on Raspberry 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 (32bit) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 1:32 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 12:13 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So I'm really bored today and recently discovered that the Raspbian
>> Imager can create an SD card with Ubuntu 20.04 either 32 or 64 bits.
>>
>> Turns out it's the server version, no desktop environment.
>>
>> I thought why not try to install mythfrontend on it. I first tried
>> mythtv-light and it would not install due to some dependencies. So then I
>> tried:
>> sudo apt install mythtv-mythfrontend; which did install. I rebooted and
>> noticed that it had installed a limited ubuntu desktop with just a few apps
>> including mythfrontend.
>>
>> So I ran it and it worked. I picked the same audio I'd pick for the
>> raspbian version and for Video, I didn't see MMAL, so I picked V4L2 and set
>> up to do standard, 4 CPUs and opengl.
>>
>> I'm surprised that it worked. The video isn't bad particularly since I'm
>> running mythfrontend on top of a desktop environment.
>>
>> I tried setting the default boot to multi-user and rebooting without a
>> desktop but I couldn't get mythfrontend to run using:
>>
>> QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend
>>
>> It couldn't find a drm device or something.
>>
>> Also it ran the mythfrontend version from March while the x86_64 version
>> is up to an August version.
>>
>> Anyway it's interesting what I've stumbled on.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> If you have the 4GB Pi, I would recommend loading Android on it - Lineage
> OS has a port for it on XDA. That gives you a lot more options for other
> players.
>
> Note: I have not tried this yet, but plan to as soon as I get my other
> Android TV device working.

It's a 4GB Pi. I may try Android. sounds interesting.
Re: Mythfrontend on Raspberry 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 (32bit) [ In reply to ]
On 8/8/20 1:30 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 12:13 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> So I'm really bored today and recently discovered that the
> Raspbian Imager can create an SD card with Ubuntu 20.04 either 32
> or 64 bits.
>
> Turns out it's the server version, no desktop environment.
>
> I thought why not try to install mythfrontend on it. I first tried
> mythtv-light and it would not install due to some dependencies. So
> then I tried:
> sudo apt install mythtv-mythfrontend; which did install.  I
> rebooted and noticed that it had installed a limited ubuntu
> desktop with just a few apps including mythfrontend.
>
> So I ran it and it worked. I picked the same audio I'd pick for
> the raspbian version and for Video, I didn't see MMAL, so I picked
> V4L2 and set up to do standard, 4 CPUs and opengl.
>
> I'm surprised that it worked.  The video isn't bad
> particularly since I'm running mythfrontend on top of a desktop
> environment.
>
> I tried setting the default boot to multi-user and rebooting
> without a desktop but I couldn't get mythfrontend to run using:
>
> QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend
>
> It couldn't find a drm device or something.
>
> Also it ran the mythfrontend version from March while the x86_64
> version is up to  an August version.
>
> Anyway it's interesting what I've stumbled on.
>
> Jim A
>

> If you have the 4GB Pi, I would recommend loading Android on it -
> Lineage OS has a port for it on XDA.  That gives you a lot more
> options for other players.
>
> Note: I have not tried this yet, but plan to as soon as I get my other
> Android TV device working.

The folks online who have tried this are not too keen on the video
performance.  I may try it anyway just to see.

Jim A
Re: Mythfrontend on Raspberry 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 (32bit) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:26 PM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/8/20 1:30 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 12:13 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So I'm really bored today and recently discovered that the Raspbian
>> Imager can create an SD card with Ubuntu 20.04 either 32 or 64 bits.
>>
>> Turns out it's the server version, no desktop environment.
>>
>> I thought why not try to install mythfrontend on it. I first tried
>> mythtv-light and it would not install due to some dependencies. So then I
>> tried:
>> sudo apt install mythtv-mythfrontend; which did install. I rebooted and
>> noticed that it had installed a limited ubuntu desktop with just a few apps
>> including mythfrontend.
>>
>> So I ran it and it worked. I picked the same audio I'd pick for the
>> raspbian version and for Video, I didn't see MMAL, so I picked V4L2 and set
>> up to do standard, 4 CPUs and opengl.
>>
>> I'm surprised that it worked. The video isn't bad particularly since I'm
>> running mythfrontend on top of a desktop environment.
>>
>> I tried setting the default boot to multi-user and rebooting without a
>> desktop but I couldn't get mythfrontend to run using:
>>
>> QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend
>>
>> It couldn't find a drm device or something.
>>
>> Also it ran the mythfrontend version from March while the x86_64 version
>> is up to an August version.
>>
>> Anyway it's interesting what I've stumbled on.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> If you have the 4GB Pi, I would recommend loading Android on it - Lineage
> OS has a port for it on XDA. That gives you a lot more options for other
> players.
>
> Note: I have not tried this yet, but plan to as soon as I get my other
> Android TV device working.
>
> The folks online who have tried this are not too keen on the video
> performance. I may try it anyway just to see.
>
> Jim A

Yeah - I had not read that far into it yet, but I did read that Lineage had
an accelerated driver for it I thought. Maybe I had already fallen asleep
and it was a dream though :)

I'll probably give it a whirl tomorrow morning - I am Android'ed out today
working on this bastardized AT&T TV box I got.

-Greg
Re: Mythfrontend on Raspberry 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 (32bit) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:31 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:26 PM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/8/20 1:30 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 12:13 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So I'm really bored today and recently discovered that the Raspbian
>>> Imager can create an SD card with Ubuntu 20.04 either 32 or 64 bits.
>>>
>>> Turns out it's the server version, no desktop environment.
>>>
>>> I thought why not try to install mythfrontend on it. I first tried
>>> mythtv-light and it would not install due to some dependencies. So then I
>>> tried:
>>> sudo apt install mythtv-mythfrontend; which did install. I rebooted and
>>> noticed that it had installed a limited ubuntu desktop with just a few apps
>>> including mythfrontend.
>>>
>>> So I ran it and it worked. I picked the same audio I'd pick for the
>>> raspbian version and for Video, I didn't see MMAL, so I picked V4L2 and set
>>> up to do standard, 4 CPUs and opengl.
>>>
>>> I'm surprised that it worked. The video isn't bad particularly since
>>> I'm running mythfrontend on top of a desktop environment.
>>>
>>> I tried setting the default boot to multi-user and rebooting without a
>>> desktop but I couldn't get mythfrontend to run using:
>>>
>>> QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend
>>>
>>> It couldn't find a drm device or something.
>>>
>>> Also it ran the mythfrontend version from March while the x86_64 version
>>> is up to an August version.
>>>
>>> Anyway it's interesting what I've stumbled on.
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> If you have the 4GB Pi, I would recommend loading Android on it - Lineage
>> OS has a port for it on XDA. That gives you a lot more options for other
>> players.
>>
>> Note: I have not tried this yet, but plan to as soon as I get my other
>> Android TV device working.
>>
>> The folks online who have tried this are not too keen on the video
>> performance. I may try it anyway just to see.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> Yeah - I had not read that far into it yet, but I did read that Lineage
> had an accelerated driver for it I thought. Maybe I had already fallen
> asleep and it was a dream though :)
>
> I'll probably give it a whirl tomorrow morning - I am Android'ed out today
> working on this bastardized AT&T TV box I got.
>
> -Greg

Looks like 17.1 has accelerated video :
https://www.xda-developers.com/developer-ports-lineageos-17-1-based-on-android-10-to-the-raspberry-pi-4-b-3-b-and-3-b/

From the page ::

The complete list of working features includes the following:

- Audio (HDMI, 3.5mm jack, USB microphones, bluetooth speakers/headsets,
etc)
- Audio DAC (using PCM512x DACs e.g. Hifiberry DAC+)
- Bluetooth
- Camera (using official Pi camera modules & UVC USB webcams with
SwiftShader software renderer)
- GPIO
- GPS (using external USB modules e.g. U-Blox 7)
- Ethernet
- Hardware accelerated graphics (V3D/VC4)
- HDMI display
- I2C
- IR remotes (using external GPIO IR modules e.g. TSOP4838)
- RTC (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. DS3231)
- Serial console (using external GPIO serial console adapters e.g.
PL2303)
- SPI
- Touchscreen/multi-touch (using official 7” display with SwiftShader
software renderer)
- USB (mouse, keyboard, storage, etc)
- Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi tethering
Re: Mythfrontend on Raspberry 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 (32bit) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:35 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:31 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:26 PM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 8/8/20 1:30 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:

>>> If you have the 4GB Pi, I would recommend loading Android on it -
>>> Lineage OS has a port for it on XDA. That gives you a lot more options for
>>> other players.
>>>
>>> Note: I have not tried this yet, but plan to as soon as I get my other
>>> Android TV device working.
>>>
>>> The folks online who have tried this are not too keen on the video
>>> performance. I may try it anyway just to see.
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> Yeah - I had not read that far into it yet, but I did read that Lineage
>> had an accelerated driver for it I thought. Maybe I had already fallen
>> asleep and it was a dream though :)
>>
>> I'll probably give it a whirl tomorrow morning - I am Android'ed out
>> today working on this bastardized AT&T TV box I got.
>>
>> -Greg
>>

> Looks like 17.1 has accelerated video :
>
> https://www.xda-developers.com/developer-ports-lineageos-17-1-based-on-android-10-to-the-raspberry-pi-4-b-3-b-and-3-b/
>
> From the page ::
>
> The complete list of working features includes the following:
>
> - Audio (HDMI, 3.5mm jack, USB microphones, bluetooth
> speakers/headsets, etc)
> - Audio DAC (using PCM512x DACs e.g. Hifiberry DAC+)
> - Bluetooth
> - Camera (using official Pi camera modules & UVC USB webcams with
> SwiftShader software renderer)
> - GPIO
> - GPS (using external USB modules e.g. U-Blox 7)
> - Ethernet
> - Hardware accelerated graphics (V3D/VC4)
> - HDMI display
> - I2C
> - IR remotes (using external GPIO IR modules e.g. TSOP4838)
> - RTC (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. DS3231)
> - Serial console (using external GPIO serial console adapters e.g.
> PL2303)
> - SPI
> - Touchscreen/multi-touch (using official 7” display with SwiftShader
> software renderer)
> - USB (mouse, keyboard, storage, etc)
> - Wi-Fi
> - Wi-Fi tethering

Well, I see that the "actual" download post has hardware acceleration as
not-working.. I guess I'll see tomorrow.