This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be
initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl,
offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

It runs fine when I click on the app icon though.

Has something changed?

Jim A
Re: running mythfrontend from command line on Ubuntu 20.04 fails [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 08:56:39 -0400, you wrote:

>So I have a new installation of mythtv V31 on Ubuntu 20.04. Everything is
>working fine, but when I try to run mythfrontend from the command line I
>get this error:
>
>jim@mythbuntu:~$ mythfrontend
>qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display localhost:0.0
>qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even
>though it was found.
>This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be
>initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
>
>Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl,
>offscreen, vnc, xcb.
>
>Aborted (core dumped)
>
>It runs fine when I click on the app icon though.
>
>Has something changed?
>
>Jim A

It works fine for me in my VirtualBox 20.04 setup. The difference
between the icon and the command line is that the icon has the
"--service" option.
Re: running mythfrontend from command line on Ubuntu 20.04 fails [ In reply to ]
On 8/1/20 11:29 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 08:56:39 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> So I have a new installation of mythtv V31 on Ubuntu 20.04. Everything is
>> working fine, but when I try to run mythfrontend from the command line I
>> get this error:
>>
>> jim@mythbuntu:~$ mythfrontend
>> qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display localhost:0.0
>> qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even
>> though it was found.
>> This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be
>> initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
>>
>> Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl,
>> offscreen, vnc, xcb.
>>
>> Aborted (core dumped)
>>
>> It runs fine when I click on the app icon though.
>>
>> Has something changed?
>>
>> Jim A
> It works fine for me in my VirtualBox 20.04 setup. The difference
> between the icon and the command line is that the icon has the
> "--service" option.

I never did get it to work on that system this morning, but since it's a
brand new backend and I had all my instructions written down, I just
blew it all away and started again.  This time I used Xubuntu so the
Desktop GUI would be less overhead.  This backend is more or less
headless because it's in the back of a walk-in closet.  I do hookup a
monitor for installation or major surgery, like Clonezilla of the boot
drive.

So my new system is done and seems to have no issues with running
mythfrontend from the terminal. I can even ssh -X jim@mythbuntu from
another system and run mythtv-setup which is what I've always done.

I have no ideas on why the old Ubuntu based backend got up on the wrong
side of the bed this morning but it's gone now and the Xubuntu 20.04
backend is fine.

Jim A