second tuner. When I tried this in 31, setup couldn't find the second
device. Does Myth now manage multiple tuners through one capture card
configuration?
Re: How does Myth 31 handle HDHomeRun devices with multiple tuners? [ In reply to ]
On 7/28/20 12:06 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I just got a new Myth 31 built and working with an HDHR Connect Duo. On my
> previous 0.28 install, I had to install separate capture cards for the
> second tuner. When I tried this in 31, setup couldn't find the second
> device. Does Myth now manage multiple tuners through one capture card
> configuration?

Check out this: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_30#Special_Notices_.26_Instructions

v30 is when the change happened.

The last bullet item has both instructions and a link to the commit
that changed to the pooling method.

--
Bill
Re: How does Myth 31 handle HDHomeRun devices with multiple tuners? [ In reply to ]
On 28/07/2020 18:06, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I just got a new Myth 31 built and working with an HDHR Connect Duo.
> On my previous 0.28 install, I had to install separate capture cards
> for the second tuner.  When I tried this in 31, setup couldn't find
> the second device.  Does Myth now manage multiple tuners through one
> capture card configuration?

A Capture Card per input is required.

See
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners

Mike
Re: How does Myth 31 handle HDHomeRun devices with multiple tuners? [ In reply to ]
On 7/28/20 1:06 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I just got a new Myth 31 built and working with an HDHR Connect Duo.
> On my previous 0.28 install, I had to install separate capture cards
> for the second tuner.  When I tried this in 31, setup couldn't find
> the second device.  Does Myth now manage multiple tuners through one
> capture card configuration?

In mythtv-setup -> Capture Card you will add 2 tuners for a HDHR Connect
Duo. Each entry will be the same. Select HDHR as the type of tuner and
click the box for the IP and id number of the one it finds. You may or
may not want to disable the active EIT use which keeps that tuner from
being used by anyone else, like an iPad.

The second tuner will be added exactly the same.  Then when your Video
source configured, usually outside of mythtv, you'll move on to Input
Connections. You'll have 2 to fill out. Only need to run scan on the
first.  You may or may not want to change the max recordings in the
Interaction between tuners.

Jim A

Re: How does Myth 31 handle HDHomeRun devices with multiple tuners? [ In reply to ]
On 7/28/20 10:20 AM, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 28/07/2020 18:06, DryHeat122 wrote:
>> I just got a new Myth 31 built and working with an HDHR Connect Duo.
>> On my previous 0.28 install, I had to install separate capture cards
>> for the second tuner.  When I tried this in 31, setup couldn't find
>> the second device.  Does Myth now manage multiple tuners through one
>> capture card configuration?

> A Capture Card per input is required.
>
> See
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners
>

> Mike

I will likely encounter this issue myself in the future, but I'm not
there yet.  I also am currently using 0.28 with three 2-tuner HD
Homeruns.  My configuration currently has each of the 6 tuners connected
to its own input (6 inputs).  Three of the tuners are connected to one
antenna and the other three connected to a second antenna.  This allows
me to adjust which channels are receivable for each input.  Will the new
pooling method allow this usage? Note that each tuner in each HDHR is
treated independently of the other tuner in the same HDHR (they each
have their own antenna coaxial connector).

Jay
Re: How does Myth 31 handle HDHomeRun devices with multiple tuners? [ In reply to ]
On 7/28/20 11:20 AM, Jay Foster wrote:
> On 7/28/20 10:20 AM, Mike Bibbings wrote:
>> On 28/07/2020 18:06, DryHeat122 wrote:
>>> I just got a new Myth 31 built and working with an HDHR Connect Duo.  On my previous 0.28 install, I had to install separate
>>> capture cards for the second tuner.  When I tried this in 31, setup couldn't find the second device.  Does Myth now manage
>>> multiple tuners through one capture card configuration?

>> A Capture Card per input is required.
>>
>> See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners
>>

>> Mike

> I will likely encounter this issue myself in the future, but I'm not there yet.  I also am currently using 0.28 with three
> 2-tuner HD Homeruns.  My configuration currently has each of the 6 tuners connected to its own input (6 inputs).  Three of the
> tuners are connected to one antenna and the other three connected to a second antenna.  This allows me to adjust which
> channels are receivable for each input.  Will the new pooling method allow this usage?  Note that each tuner in each HDHR is
> treated independently of the other tuner in the same HDHR (they each have their own antenna coaxial connector).
>
> Jay

I used to have two HDHR-2 tuners connected to three antennas. This is no longer possible with the current setup of MythTV.

Newer HDHomeRuns have only one input per box, so the MythTV setup works for them, but the upcoming ATSC 3.0 HDHomeRun which I
expect to get next month has one input and 4 tuners, two of which are ATSC 3.0, and the other two are ATSC 1.0. So far there are
no ATSC 3.0 stations in San Francisco, but this will be changing soon.

I hope that MythTV has addressed this issue before that happens.
Re: How does Myth 31 handle HDHomeRun devices with multiple tuners? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 11:28:17AM -0700, Douglas Peale wrote:
> On 7/28/20 11:20 AM, Jay Foster wrote:

> >> A Capture Card per input is required.
> >>
> >> See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners
> >>

> >> Mike

> > I will likely encounter this issue myself in the future, but I'm not there yet.? I also am currently using 0.28 with three
> > 2-tuner HD Homeruns.? My configuration currently has each of the 6 tuners connected to its own input (6 inputs).? Three of the
> > tuners are connected to one antenna and the other three connected to a second antenna.? This allows me to adjust which
> > channels are receivable for each input.? Will the new pooling method allow this usage?? Note that each tuner in each HDHR is
> > treated independently of the other tuner in the same HDHR (they each have their own antenna coaxial connector).
> >
> > Jay

> I used to have two HDHR-2 tuners connected to three antennas. This is no longer possible with the current setup of MythTV.

Correct. MythTV expects that all tuners on the same HDHR receive the
exact same channels.

> Newer HDHomeRuns have only one input per box, so the MythTV setup works for them, but the upcoming ATSC 3.0 HDHomeRun which I
> expect to get next month has one input and 4 tuners, two of which are ATSC 3.0, and the other two are ATSC 1.0. So far there are
> no ATSC 3.0 stations in San Francisco, but this will be changing soon.
>
> I hope that MythTV has addressed this issue before that happens.

Chances are almost 100% that MythTV won't fully support the new HDHR
by then. The HEVC encoding used with ATSC 3 might shouldn't be too
hard to support in MythTV master. The asymmetric tuning for ATSC
3/ATSC 1 very likely won't work until someone (probably me) knows how
it works on the device and can test it. Since I'm not currently
planning on getting the new HDHR, the testing part will be a problem.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: How does Myth 31 handle HDHomeRun devices with multiple tuners? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 10:52 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 7/28/20 1:06 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> > I just got a new Myth 31 built and working with an HDHR Connect Duo.
> > On my previous 0.28 install, I had to install separate capture cards
> > for the second tuner. When I tried this in 31, setup couldn't find
> > the second device. Does Myth now manage multiple tuners through one
> > capture card configuration?
> >
> In mythtv-setup -> Capture Card you will add 2 tuners for a HDHR Connect
> Duo. Each entry will be the same. Select HDHR as the type of tuner and
> click the box for the IP and id number of the one it finds. You may or
> may not want to disable the active EIT use which keeps that tuner from
> being used by anyone else, like an iPad.
>
> The second tuner will be added exactly the same. Then when your Video
> source configured, usually outside of mythtv, you'll move on to Input
> Connections. You'll have 2 to fill out. Only need to run scan on the
> first. You may or may not want to change the max recordings in the
> Interaction between tuners.
>
> Jim A

I should have been more clear in the original post. I tried to do exactly
this, add a second capture card for the HDHR. When I selected that type of
capture card and entered the setup for it, it created a duplicate entry of
the first one, i.e. same device number [HOMERUN: 10668BF0]. I believe in
my last setup the 0 in last char of the device number changed to 1 for the
second tuner. I went ahead with the setup but when I tried to exit it told
me I had insufficiently different device names, or something like that, and
warned I should fix it.

Do the two tuners have different IP addresses or different ports on the
same IP address? I initially couldn't get the HDHR configured until I
added a firewall rule for its IP address. OTOH I don't see anything in the
UFW log about it.

Steve