Mailing List Archive

HDHomerun tuners in mythtv v31
I noticed when I add an HDHomerun tuner in V31 mythtv-setup I pick which
HDHR physical device I want by IP and I seem to be able to select all of
them it finds on the network.

So I'm guessing that if I want to have 6 tuners available I can create 6
tuners in mythtv-setup and select the IP for my HDHR Quatro and Duo. I also
deselect the Active EIT scanning so the tuners are not constantly in use
since I'm using XMLTV EPG.

I'm guessing it creates a pool of tuners to select from, and at record
time if one is busy it moves on to another tuner either on the same device
or the next HDHR.

If all the HDHR devices are connected to the same OTA antenna and receive
the same channels then only one SchedulesDirect Video Source using a XMLTV
grabber is needed.

I'll need 6 Input connections matching the Video source to the tuners.

I also increase the number of simultaneous recordings to 2. I think this
helps if I'm recording back to back shows on the same channel with one
recording overlapping the other by a minute or so. I think this saves a
physical tuner.

From what I understand because mythtv v31 uses the TCP communication method
instead of the older UDP method of talking to the HDHR, as long as the
maximum number of tuners don't exceed 6 in my case, other devices like an
iPad running the HDHR app will all share without issue.

So do I have this understanding about Mythtv v31 and HDHR right??

My testing says it does, but it's a lot of testing to confirm all of this.

Jim A
Re: HDHomerun tuners in mythtv v31 [ In reply to ]
On 7/23/20 6:13 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
> I noticed when I add an HDHomerun tuner in V31 mythtv-setup I pick which HDHR physical device I want by IP and I seem to be able to select all
> of them it finds on the network.

Last bullet here, which has a link to the commit and good notes:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_30#Special_Notices_.26_Instructions

--
Bill
Re: HDHomerun tuners in mythtv v31 [ In reply to ]
Jim,

Yes, your understanding is correct.
For some configuration documentation, see
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners
You can also enable the "Schedule as a Group" in the Input Connections
window and then virtual tuners are created on demand.

Klaas.

Re: HDHomerun tuners in mythtv v31 [ In reply to ]
On 7/24/20 2:16 AM, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Yes, your understanding is correct.
> For some configuration documentation, see
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners
> You can also enable the "Schedule as a Group" in the Input Connections
> window and then virtual tuners are created on demand.
>
> Klaas.

Thanks for the pointer to the Channel Scanning wiki.  I googled every
combination of V31 and HDHomerun and mythtv config, but found only old
pre-v30 stuff. I think I may have stumbled onto that page in the past
but never bookmarked it. I will right now.

Jim A

Re: HDHomerun tuners in mythtv v31 [ In reply to ]
On 7/24/20 4:30 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 24/07/2020 00:13, James Abernathy wrote:
>> I noticed when I add an HDHomerun tuner in V31 mythtv-setup I pick which
>> HDHR physical device I want by IP and I seem to be able to select all of
>> them it finds on the network.
>>
>> So I'm guessing that if I want to have 6 tuners available I can create 6
>> tuners in mythtv-setup and select the IP for my HDHR Quatro and Duo.
>> I also
>> deselect the Active EIT scanning so the tuners are not constantly in use
>> since I'm using XMLTV EPG.
>>
>> I'm guessing it creates a  pool of tuners to select from, and at record
>> time if one is busy it moves on to another tuner either on the same
>> device
>> or the next HDHR.
>>
>> If all the HDHR devices are connected to the same OTA antenna and
>> receive
>> the same channels then only one SchedulesDirect Video Source using a
>> XMLTV
>> grabber is needed.
>>
>> I'll need 6 Input connections matching the Video source to the tuners.
>>
>> I also increase the number of simultaneous recordings to 2. I think this
>> helps if I'm recording back to back shows on the same channel with one
>> recording overlapping the other by a minute or so. I think this saves a
>> physical tuner.
>>
>>> From what I understand because mythtv v31 uses the TCP communication
>>> method
>> instead of the older UDP method of talking to the HDHR, as long as the
>> maximum number of tuners don't exceed 6 in my case, other devices
>> like an
>> iPad running the HDHR app will all share without issue.
>>
>> So do I have this understanding about Mythtv v31 and HDHR right??
>>
>> My testing says it does, but it's a lot of testing to confirm all of
>> this.
>>
> It would make sense to increase your simultaneous number to more than
> two. Two is fine if you just want to allow for overlapping recordings
> on the same channel, but remember that a single multiplex can have
> many channels. If you have two overlapping recordings on channel A,
> for example, 2 simultaneous won't permit you to record something else
> on channel B.
>
> It is possible that the "group" feature in V31 may make this
> unnecessary but until V31 is fully functional I would err on the side
> of caution.
>
> I'm currently running an OTA HDHR duo with my multirec set to 4.

I recently went into mythtv-setup on my production system and deleted
all tuners and setup my Hauppauge WinTV HD Quad and SiliconDust
HDHR5-4US again and noticed that for both tuner devices all input
connections were already set to "Schedule as a Group" as a default. So
if the latest documentation is correct, then it didn't matter that I had
Max Recordings increased to 2 since that parameter is ignored with
"Schedule as a Group" set.

It's more important to have a lot of tuners now that we depend on Mythtv
for Live OTA TV as well as recording, since we have no "cable" or
"satellite" TV anymore.

Jim A

Re: HDHomerun tuners in mythtv v31 [ In reply to ]
On 7/24/20 2:16 AM, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Yes, your understanding is correct.
> For some configuration documentation, see
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners
> You can also enable the "Schedule as a Group" in the Input Connections
> window and then virtual tuners are created on demand.
>
> Klaas.

Klaas,

So if the "Schedule as a Group" is checked, then the Max recordings
number is irrelevant, right? I now have the max recordings set to 4 and
the "Schedule as a Group" checked.

The reason I ask is when I look at mythweb backend status page I see the
following which seems to be based on me have 3 HDHR tuners defined and
Max recordings set to 4, i.e. the 12 lines below:

Encoder 1 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 2 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 3 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 4 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 5 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 6 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 7 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 8 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 9 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 10 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 11 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 12 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on

Re: HDHomerun tuners in mythtv v31 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 18:44, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/24/20 2:16 AM, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > Yes, your understanding is correct.
> > For some configuration documentation, see
> >
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners
> > You can also enable the "Schedule as a Group" in the Input Connections
> > window and then virtual tuners are created on demand.
> >
> > Klaas.
> >
> Klaas,
>
> So if the "Schedule as a Group" is checked, then the Max recordings
> number is irrelevant, right? I now have the max recordings set to 4 and
> the "Schedule as a Group" checked.
>
> The reason I ask is when I look at mythweb backend status page I see the
> following which seems to be based on me have 3 HDHR tuners defined and
> Max recordings set to 4, i.e. the 12 lines below:
>
> Encoder 1 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 2 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 3 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 4 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 5 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 6 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 7 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 8 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 9 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 10 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 11 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 12 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
>
> Jim A
>

> Hi Jim,

The "Max Recordings" value is the number of virtual tuners that is
initially created per physical tuner. This is independent of the "Schedule
as a Group" setting. If you do check the "Schedule as Group" setting
additional virtual tuners are created as needed. Also the display in the
"Input Status" of what the tuners are doing is slightly different.
The advantage of setting a "Max Recordings" value of e.g. 4 initially is
that the resulting numbers are more systematic, e.g. 1 to 4 are for the
first, 5 to 8 are for the second etc. These are the numbers that are
presented in the Scheduled Recordings page so you can then identify which
physical tuner is used.

Klaas.
Re: HDHomerun tuners in mythtv v31 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 07:44:05PM +0200, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> The advantage of setting a "Max Recordings" value of e.g. 4 initially is
> that the resulting numbers are more systematic, e.g. 1 to 4 are for the
> first, 5 to 8 are for the second etc. These are the numbers that are
> presented in the Scheduled Recordings page so you can then identify which
> physical tuner is used.

Alternatively, you can urge theme designers to start using input
display names instead of input ID. There is even a short, unique,
2-character version of the name available for themes with limited
screen space. I honestly don't know nor care what my input IDs are
most of them time any more.

David
--
David Engel