and discovered that the kernel is now 5.4.51.
I use MikeB's pi-utils that install v31 mythtv-light and setup the
raspberry Pi for mythfrontend. Always works until today.

I've attached the console output, but the key difference now is that
mythfrontend never starts and it seems to loop with the error message below
until you kill it from ssh.

Could not queue DRM page flip on screen HDMI1 (Invalid argument)

Jim A
Re: Change on Raspberry PI OS to kernel 5.4.51 causing issues with Mythtv?? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 6:33 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was helping someone on the forum with a mythtv light problem and
> discovered I now had it also.
>
> I just installed a fresh Raspberry Pi OS with Desktop and did a full
> update and discovered that the kernel is now 5.4.51.
> I use MikeB's pi-utils that install v31 mythtv-light and setup the
> raspberry Pi for mythfrontend. Always works until today.
>
> I've attached the console output, but the key difference now is that
> mythfrontend never starts and it seems to loop with the error message below
> until you kill it from ssh.
>
> Could not queue DRM page flip on screen HDMI1 (Invalid argument)
>
> Jim A

What seems to get around it is this:

Get rid of the part referencing the json file:

QT_QPA_EGLFS_KMS_CONFIG=/home/pi/pi_mythfrontend.json
and added the export:

export QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1"

Jim A
Re: Change on Raspberry PI OS to kernel 5.4.51 causing issues with Mythtv?? [ In reply to ]
There is another issue which causes garbled screen when starting
mythfrontend from .xsession without a composer, thread is here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=280514
My current workaround is either to downgrade the kernel and I lose digital
passthru audio or start the normal X environment and then launch
mythfrontend.

Re: Change on Raspberry PI OS to kernel 5.4.51 causing issues with Mythtv?? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:10 AM Monkey Pet <monkeypet@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is another issue which causes garbled screen when starting
> mythfrontend from .xsession without a composer, thread is here:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=280514
> My current workaround is either to downgrade the kernel and I lose digital
> passthru audio or start the normal X environment and then launch
> mythfrontend.

The 2nd workaround, i lose the performance, so my mpeg2 playback is glitchy.

Re: Change on Raspberry PI OS to kernel 5.4.51 causing issues with Mythtv?? [ In reply to ]
On 22/07/2020 23:48, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 6:33 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I was helping someone on the forum with a mythtv light problem and
> discovered I now had it also.
>
> I just installed a fresh Raspberry Pi OS with Desktop and did a
> full update and discovered that the kernel is now 5.4.51.
> I use MikeB's pi-utils that install v31 mythtv-light and setup the
> raspberry Pi for mythfrontend.  Always works until today.
>
> I've attached the console output, but the key difference now is
> that mythfrontend never starts and it seems to loop with the error
> message below until you kill it from ssh.
>
> Could not queue DRM page flip on screen HDMI1 (Invalid argument)
>
> Jim A
>
> What seems to get around it is this:
>
> Get rid of the part referencing the json file:
>
> QT_QPA_EGLFS_KMS_CONFIG=/home/pi/pi_mythfrontend.json
> and added the export:
>
> export QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1"
> Jim A

Jim,

Thanks for the information about QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1".

Whilst your change will work for some configurations, the removal of
QT_QPA_EGLFS_KMS_CONFIG=/home/pi/pi_mythfrontend.json causes other
problems namely wrong screen configuration being used depending on
capability of connected monitor/TV.

I have updated both run_mythfrontend.sh and run_mythsetup.sh at
https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils

The change is to add QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1". to the existing
command line as appropriate.

Tested on Pi4 and Pi3

Mike