Nvidia Shield TV (2019) and Shield TV Pro (2019)
I have the Shield TV from a few years ago. Not the first one (maybe
2017), but not the 2019 version.  It works great on streaming app and
leanfront and mythtv-frontend.

I'm thinking up upgrading my wife's FireTV 4K to something faster.

Does anyone know if those mythtv apps also work on the 2019 regular and
Pro versions of the Shield TV??

Jim A

Re: Nvidia Shield TV (2019) and Shield TV Pro (2019) [ In reply to ]
Don't have a complete answer for you, but I have heard that the tube
version is 32-bit only where the rest are 64-bit.

Jon

Re: Nvidia Shield TV (2019) and Shield TV Pro (2019) [ In reply to ]
---- On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 17:53:34 +0100 Jon Boehm <jon.s.boehm@gmail.com> wrote ----

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:46 AM Jim Abernathy <mailto:jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

I have the Shield TV from a few years ago. Not the first one (maybe
2017), but not the 2019 version.  It works great on streaming app and
leanfront and mythtv-frontend.

I'm thinking up upgrading my wife's FireTV 4K to something faster.

Does anyone know if those mythtv apps also work on the 2019 regular and
Pro versions of the Shield TV??

Jim A

i run the Sheild pro 2019 as my primary FE and it's flawless. cannot fault it at all. as Jon said - the cheaper tube version is 32bit only and i think comes with less ram too. pro is 64bit.

I cant comment on 4k, as my AVR&TV are 1080p only.

my only gripe with the sheild is its 'android TV' rather than android so apps have to be explicitly built for the androidTV. Originally planed to replace my roku3 with it, but the UK NowTV app (which the other half uses a lot) isnt compatible with the shield.
Re: Nvidia Shield TV (2019) and Shield TV Pro (2019) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:55 PM Jon Boehm <jon.s.boehm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't have a complete answer for you, but I have heard that the tube
> version is 32-bit only where the rest are 64-bit.
>
> Jon
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:46 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have the Shield TV from a few years ago. Not the first one (maybe
>> 2017), but not the 2019 version. It works great on streaming app and
>> leanfront and mythtv-frontend.
>>
>> I'm thinking up upgrading my wife's FireTV 4K to something faster.
>>
>> Does anyone know if those mythtv apps also work on the 2019 regular and
>> Pro versions of the Shield TV??
>>
>> Jim A

I just looked at the Tegra Wiki and it lists the Tega X1 as 64 bit for both
the old version used on the Shield TV that I have and on the 2019 versions.
So supposedly both the 2019 tube Shield TV and the Shield TV Pro 2019 use
the same Tega X1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_X1

The big difference between the 2 2019 Shield TVs is the tube has 2GB RAM
and 8BG internal storage with only microSD expansion storage, and no USB 3
ports. The Pro model has 3GB RAM and 16 GB internal Storage and 2 USB 3
ports.

I'm looking at upgrading my FireTV 4K with another Shield TV. I had to
give my old 2017 Shield TV to my wife so I'm stuck with the old FIreTV 4K
for a while. It's good, but compared to the Shield TV I think the Shield
TV is much faster at loading apps and the playback is better on many apps
by a little bit.

Unless someone warns me off, I'm probably going to order a 2019 Nvidia
Shield TV Pro.

JIm A