stick to 14.04. Hopefully, I have better luck this time.

Thanks
Ramesh

Re: Help in upgrading. [ In reply to ]
> On 15 Jul 2020, at 3:59 am, R. Ramesh <rramesh@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> I still use mythbuntu 14.04 (MythTV Version : v0.27.6-28-g6fb800d) and have not upgraded. It is increasingly become obvious that I need to upgrade. Recently, I found out that mythbuntu is nolonger a distribution. So, I am guessing that my path should be to install ubuntu desktop 20.04, and then install mythtv manually. Is there a known guide for this? I see general guides and messages on this list, but would like to know if there is a known documented/recommended procedure. I prefer to use something that covers all angles, instead of finding gotchas on the way. Last time I tried it a long time ago, I had to give up and stick to 14.04. Hopefully, I have better luck this time.

Ramesh

I tried a few weeks ago to install on ubuntu 2.04.
Can't remember why but it failed to as per the wiki with ansible I built from src which was quick and easy

James

Re: Help in upgrading. [ In reply to ]
On 14/07/2020 23:37, jam@tigger.ws wrote:

>> On 15 Jul 2020, at 3:59 am, R. Ramesh <rramesh@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> I still use mythbuntu 14.04 (MythTV Version : v0.27.6-28-g6fb800d) and have not upgraded. It is increasingly become obvious that I need to upgrade. Recently, I found out that mythbuntu is nolonger a distribution. So, I am guessing that my path should be to install ubuntu desktop 20.04, and then install mythtv manually. Is there a known guide for this? I see general guides and messages on this list, but would like to know if there is a known documented/recommended procedure. I prefer to use something that covers all angles, instead of finding gotchas on the way. Last time I tried it a long time ago, I had to give up and stick to 14.04. Hopefully, I have better luck this time.
> Ramesh
>
> I tried a few weeks ago to install on ubuntu 2.04.
> Can't remember why but it failed to as per the wiki with ansible I built from src which was quick and easy
>
> James

With Xubuntu 20.04 I suggest you add mythbuntu ppa for mythtv 31 before
installing mythtv 31

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
sudo apt-get update

The version of mythtv 31 in the default Ubuntu repository is old and has
a problem when setting up with mysql 8 in 20.04, this problem is fixed
in the mythbuntu ppa version, although there is still a problem with
some of the mythplugins e.g. mytharchive (this is being worked on).

Mike

Help in upgrading. [ In reply to ]
> >//>>/On 15 Jul 2020, at 3:59 am, R. Ramesh <rramesh at verizon.net
> and have not upgraded. It is increasingly become obvious that I need
> to upgrade. Recently, I found out that mythbuntu is nolonger a
> distribution. So, I am guessing that my path should be to install
> ubuntu desktop 20.04, and then install mythtv manually. Is there a
> known guide for this? I see general guides and messages on this list,
> but would like to know if there is a known documented/recommended
> procedure. I prefer to use something that covers all angles, instead
> of finding gotchas on the way. Last time I tried it a long time ago, I
> had to give up and stick to 14.04. Hopefully, I have better luck this
> time. />/Ramesh />//>/I tried a few weeks ago to install on ubuntu 2.04. />/Can't remember why but it failed to as per the wiki with ansible I
> built from src which was quick and easy />//>/James />//>/_______________________________________________ /
> With Xubuntu 20.04 I suggest you add mythbuntu ppa for mythtv 31 before
> installing mythtv 31
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
> sudo apt-get update
>
> The version of mythtv 31 in the default Ubuntu repository is old and has
> a problem when setting up with mysql 8 in 20.04, this problem is fixed
> in the mythbuntu ppa version, although there is still a problem with
> some of the mythplugins e.g. mytharchive (this is being worked on).
>

> Mike

So, you recommend Xubuntu over standard ubuntu? Last time when I tried
with 16.04, I could not get myweb to work and that was the deal breaker
and I left at that. Let us see how this one goes.

I have an extra SSD for the install. So, my 14.04 will stay dual
bootable. I intend to install 20.04 on new SSD, install mythtv 31 using
ppa and then use database restore and old recordings which are on a
separate md raid6. Do you see obvious flaw here?

Ramesh
Re: Help in upgrading. [ In reply to ]
On 15/07/2020 18:03, R. Ramesh wrote:
>> >//>>/On 15 Jul 2020, at 3:59 am, R. Ramesh <rramesh at verizon.net
>> />>//>>/I still use mythbuntu 14.04 (MythTV Version :
>> v0.27.6-28-g6fb800d) and have not upgraded. It is increasingly become
>> obvious that I need to upgrade. Recently, I found out that mythbuntu
>> is nolonger a distribution. So, I am guessing that my path should be
>> to install ubuntu desktop 20.04, and then install mythtv manually. Is
>> there a known guide for this? I see general guides and messages on
>> this list, but would like to know if there is a known
>> documented/recommended procedure. I prefer to use something that
>> covers all angles, instead of finding gotchas on the way. Last time I
>> tried it a long time ago, I had to give up and stick to 14.04.
>> Hopefully, I have better luck this time. />/Ramesh />//>/I tried a
>> few weeks ago to install on ubuntu 2.04. />/Can't remember why but it
>> failed to as per the wiki with ansible I built from src which was
>> quick and easy />//>/James
>> />//>/_______________________________________________ /
>> With Xubuntu 20.04 I suggest you add mythbuntu ppa for mythtv 31 before
>> installing mythtv 31
>>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
>> sudo apt-get update
>>
>> The version of mythtv 31 in the default Ubuntu repository is old and has
>> a problem when setting up with mysql 8 in 20.04, this problem is fixed
>> in the mythbuntu ppa version, although there is still a problem with
>> some of the mythplugins e.g. mytharchive (this is being worked on).
>>

>> Mike
>>
> So, you recommend Xubuntu over standard ubuntu? Last time when I tried
> with 16.04, I could not get myweb to work and that was the deal
> breaker and I left at that. Let us see how this one goes.
>
> I have an extra SSD for the install. So, my 14.04 will stay dual
> bootable. I intend to install 20.04 on new SSD, install mythtv 31
> using ppa and then use database restore and old recordings which are
> on a separate md raid6. Do you see obvious flaw here?
>
> Ramesh

I used to use Mythbuntu distribution until it was retired. Since then I
have used Xubuntu (16.04, then 18.04 and now 20.04) as it was the
closest fit (mythbuntu was effectively a customized version of Xubuntu).

I have had no issues with mythweb which I use all the time.

Xubuntu is also recommended see https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Packages

As far as md raid6 is concerned I have no idea - I have never used raid!

Mike

Re: Help in upgrading. [ In reply to ]
> On 15 Jul 2020, at 3:59 am, R. Ramesh <rramesh@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> I still use mythbuntu 14.04 (MythTV Version : v0.27.6-28-g6fb800d) and have not upgraded. It is increasingly become
>obvious that I need to upgrade. Recently, I found out that mythbuntu is nolonger a distribution. So, I am guessing that
>my path should be to install ubuntu desktop 20.04, and then install mythtv manually. Is there a known guide for this? I
>see general guides and messages on this list, but would like to know if there is a known documented/recommended
>procedure. I prefer to use something that covers all angles, instead of finding gotchas on the way. Last time I tried it a
>long time ago, I had to give up and stick to 14.04. Hopefully, I have better luck this time.
>
>Ramesh

The Mythbuntu PPA for v31 and other MythTV versions is available.  If you decide to do a fresh install, Mythbuntu Control Panel can be used to add the PPA and install MythTV.  More information about MCP can be found on the wiki at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbuntu_Control_Panel.

Ted

Re: Help in upgrading. [ In reply to ]

easy />//>/James />//>/_______________________________________________ /
>> With Xubuntu 20.04 I suggest you add mythbuntu ppa for mythtv 31 before
>> installing mythtv 31
>>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
>> sudo apt-get update
>>
>> The version of mythtv 31 in the default Ubuntu repository is old and has
>> a problem when setting up with mysql 8 in 20.04, this problem is fixed
>> in the mythbuntu ppa version, although there is still a problem with
>> some of the mythplugins e.g. mytharchive (this is being worked on).
>>

>> Mike
>>
> So, you recommend Xubuntu over standard ubuntu? Last time when I tried with 16.04, I could not get myweb to work and that was the deal breaker and I left at that. Let us see how this one goes.
>
> I have an extra SSD for the install. So, my 14.04 will stay dual bootable. I intend to install 20.04 on new SSD, install mythtv 31 using ppa and then use database restore and old recordings which are on a separate md raid6. Do you see obvious flaw here?

Mythweb is indeed broken but an hour with google solved those. Mail me if you want a mythweb tar that works on 20.04
James
Help in upgrading. [ In reply to ]

> Mythweb is indeed broken but an hour with google solved those. Mail me if you want a mythweb tar that works on 20.04
> James

Thanks. Let me get basic things done and if I do have issues with
mythweb, I will reach out to you.

Ramesh