Mailing List Archive

Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu
I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04. I would like to upgrade to
MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04. But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
Ubuntu? I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
hose the whole setup.
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 14:56:55 -0700, you wrote:

>I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04. I would like to upgrade to
>MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04. But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
>Ubuntu? I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
>hose the whole setup.

I do not think you will get packages for the later MythTV versions on
16.04, and I am not sure if 0.28 packages are available for 18.04
either. You may have to do both at once - upgrade Ubuntu to 18.04 and
MythTV to v30 or v31 at the same time. You might like to hunt down
the threads on this list to do with upgrading to 18.04 - there are a
number of problems you may meet, but if you are using lirc, you
certainly will have problems with that and will need the fix script I
wrote.

You could update MythTV to 0.29 before the 18.04 upgrade, but I do not
see any great point in doing that when you can just go directly to v31
on 18.04. What EPG are you using? The old Schedules Direct builtin
EPG is going or gone, so you will need to allow yourself time to
update that as well if you need it.

I always do a Clonezilla image backup of my system partition before I
attempt any major upgrade like this. About a third of the time, my
first attempt fails badly enough that I restore the backup, usually
because I am out of time before the next scheduled recording. The
second time I do the upgrade it normally works as I know what the
problems are and have fixes ready for them.
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 13 Jul 2020, at 4:55 pm, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>> I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04. I would like to upgrade to
>> MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04. But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
>> Ubuntu? I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
>> hose the whole setup.
>
> I do not think you will get packages for the later MythTV versions on
> 16.04, and I am not sure if 0.28 packages are available for 18.04
> either. You may have to do both at once - upgrade Ubuntu to 18.04 and
> MythTV to v30 or v31 at the same time. You might like to hunt down
> the threads on this list to do with upgrading to 18.04 - there are a
> number of problems you may meet, but if you are using lirc, you
> certainly will have problems with that and will need the fix script I
> wrote.
>
> You could update MythTV to 0.29 before the 18.04 upgrade, but I do not
> see any great point in doing that when you can just go directly to v31
> on 18.04. What EPG are you using? The old Schedules Direct builtin
> EPG is going or gone, so you will need to allow yourself time to
> update that as well if you need it.
>
> I always do a Clonezilla image backup of my system partition before I
> attempt any major upgrade like this. About a third of the time, my
> first attempt fails badly enough that I restore the backup, usually
> because I am out of time before the next scheduled recording. The
> second time I do the upgrade it normally works as I know what the
> problems are and have fixes ready for them.

Stephen
being a bear of little brain (Winnie thur Pooh) I was not able to get pre-built packages to work. I found ansible sorted out dependancies and building from source was quick and easy. I did not build 28 but I have no doubt that it is as easy. See the wiki.
James
PS I don't recall when we went to whole numbers if it should be 0.28 not 28 sorry.
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 4:25 AM jam@tigger.ws <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2020, at 4:55 pm, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04. I would like to upgrade to
> >> MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04. But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
> >> Ubuntu? I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
> >> hose the whole setup.
> >
> > I do not think you will get packages for the later MythTV versions on
> > 16.04, and I am not sure if 0.28 packages are available for 18.04
> > either. You may have to do both at once - upgrade Ubuntu to 18.04 and
> > MythTV to v30 or v31 at the same time. You might like to hunt down
> > the threads on this list to do with upgrading to 18.04 - there are a
> > number of problems you may meet, but if you are using lirc, you
> > certainly will have problems with that and will need the fix script I
> > wrote.
> >
> > You could update MythTV to 0.29 before the 18.04 upgrade, but I do not
> > see any great point in doing that when you can just go directly to v31
> > on 18.04. What EPG are you using? The old Schedules Direct builtin
> > EPG is going or gone, so you will need to allow yourself time to
> > update that as well if you need it.
> >
> > I always do a Clonezilla image backup of my system partition before I
> > attempt any major upgrade like this. About a third of the time, my
> > first attempt fails badly enough that I restore the backup, usually
> > because I am out of time before the next scheduled recording. The
> > second time I do the upgrade it normally works as I know what the
> > problems are and have fixes ready for them.
>
> Stephen
> being a bear of little brain (Winnie thur Pooh) I was not able to get
> pre-built packages to work. I found ansible sorted out dependancies and
> building from source was quick and easy. I did not build 28 but I have no
> doubt that it is as easy. See the wiki.
> James
> PS I don't recall when we went to whole numbers if it should be 0.28 not
> 28 sorry.

Well I'm glad I asked about this before starting to upgrade things. Is it a
better idea to do a clean install of 18.04, then fresh install MythTV?
@Stephen are you saying Schedules Direct is no longer available as an
EPG? What is there instead?
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]

Note the 2nd bullet here https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_31#Major_Changes
and follow the link (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Schedules_Direct_Setup).

--
!@Stephen
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 7/13/2020 7:25 AM, jam@tigger.ws wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2020, at 4:55 pm, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04. I would like to upgrade to
>>> MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04. But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
>>> Ubuntu? I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
>>> hose the whole setup.
>>
>> I do not think you will get packages for the later MythTV versions on
>> 16.04, and I am not sure if 0.28 packages are available for 18.04
>> either. You may have to do both at once - upgrade Ubuntu to 18.04 and
>> MythTV to v30 or v31 at the same time. You might like to hunt down
>> the threads on this list to do with upgrading to 18.04 - there are a
>> number of problems you may meet, but if you are using lirc, you
>> certainly will have problems with that and will need the fix script I
>> wrote.
>>
>> You could update MythTV to 0.29 before the 18.04 upgrade, but I do not
>> see any great point in doing that when you can just go directly to v31
>> on 18.04. What EPG are you using? The old Schedules Direct builtin
>> EPG is going or gone, so you will need to allow yourself time to
>> update that as well if you need it.
>>
>> I always do a Clonezilla image backup of my system partition before I
>> attempt any major upgrade like this. About a third of the time, my
>> first attempt fails badly enough that I restore the backup, usually
>> because I am out of time before the next scheduled recording. The
>> second time I do the upgrade it normally works as I know what the
>> problems are and have fixes ready for them.
>
> Stephen
> being a bear of little brain (Winnie thur Pooh) I was not able to get pre-built packages to work. I found ansible sorted out dependancies and building from source was quick and easy. I did not build 28 but I have no doubt that it is as easy. See the wiki.
> James
> PS I don't recall when we went to whole numbers if it should be 0.28 not 28 sorry.

Hi DryHeat,

I always do a clean install to a separate partition rather than doing an "in-place" upgrade. Before doing this, I first make full backups (I use tar, personally) of non-recording partitions. If you haven't done this before, you'll probably need to do some re-partitioning to make room for a clean install, which is another reason to make good backups first. The reason to have a new, separate partition is so you can go back and forth to and from your current working environment and the new environment. Especially with the change from SD-DD (schedules direct-direct data) to SD-JSON (schedules direct-json). It took me more than an afternoon to get that sorted out to my liking, so it was important to reboot back to the known working environment. I also do this back & forth to upgrade my remote front ends, too.
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
[snip]

> I always do a clean install to a separate partition rather than doing an "in-place" upgrade. Before doing this, I first make full backups (I use tar, personally) of non-recording partitions. If you haven't done this before, you'll probably need to do some re-partitioning to make room for a clean install, which is another reason to make good backups first. The reason to have a new, separate partition is so you can go back and forth to and from your current working environment and the new environment. Especially with the change from SD-DD (schedules direct-direct data) to SD-JSON (schedules direct-json). It took me more than an afternoon to get that sorted out to my liking, so it was important to reboot back to the known working environment. I also do this back & forth to upgrade my remote front ends, too.

Sorry to wander OT for myth.
I have 2 10 or 20 G partitions for root.
I alternate each time I install leaving the other to be used if everything fails this install. Also no matter how careful I an I always forget *something* sometimes noticing a week or two later.
Many Distros use 1000 as the uid for the first user so leaving home not formated keeps familiar stuff.

James
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020, 4:31 PM jam@tigger.ws <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > I always do a clean install to a separate partition rather than doing an
> "in-place" upgrade. Before doing this, I first make full backups (I use
> tar, personally) of non-recording partitions. If you haven't done this
> before, you'll probably need to do some re-partitioning to make room for a
> clean install, which is another reason to make good backups first. The
> reason to have a new, separate partition is so you can go back and forth to
> and from your current working environment and the new environment.
> Especially with the change from SD-DD (schedules direct-direct data) to
> SD-JSON (schedules direct-json). It took me more than an afternoon to get
> that sorted out to my liking, so it was important to reboot back to the
> known working environment. I also do this back & forth to upgrade my remote
> front ends, too.
>
> Sorry to wander OT for myth.
> I have 2 10 or 20 G partitions for root.
> I alternate each time I install leaving the other to be used if everything
> fails this install. Also no matter how careful I an I always forget
> *something* sometimes noticing a week or two later.
> Many Distros use 1000 as the uid for the first user so leaving home not
> formated keeps familiar stuff.
>
> James

I currently have the system/myth on one small physical drive/partition, and
video0 mapped to a separate physical drive/partition. Both are mechanical
HDDs. I hope to back up mythconverg, clone video0 to a same-size SSD, do
a clean install of 18.04/myth 31 on a small ssd, and restore the DB. Then
everything will work great. I'm dreaming, aren't I?

Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> On 14 Jul 2020, at 12:47 pm, DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I always do a clean install to a separate partition rather than doing an "in-place" upgrade. Before doing this, I first make full backups (I use tar, personally) of non-recording partitions. If you haven't done this before, you'll probably need to do some re-partitioning to make room for a clean install, which is another reason to make good backups first. The reason to have a new, separate partition is so you can go back and forth to and from your current working environment and the new environment. Especially with the change from SD-DD (schedules direct-direct data) to SD-JSON (schedules direct-json). It took me more than an afternoon to get that sorted out to my liking, so it was important to reboot back to the known working environment. I also do this back & forth to upgrade my remote front ends, too.
>
> Sorry to wander OT for myth.
> I have 2 10 or 20 G partitions for root.
> I alternate each time I install leaving the other to be used if everything fails this install. Also no matter how careful I an I always forget *something* sometimes noticing a week or two later.
> Many Distros use 1000 as the uid for the first user so leaving home not formated keeps familiar stuff.
>
> James
> I currently have the system/myth on one small physical drive/partition, and video0 mapped to a separate physical drive/partition. Both are mechanical HDDs. I hope to back up mythconverg, clone video0 to a same-size SSD, do a clean install of 18.04/myth 31 on a small ssd, and restore the DB. Then everything will work great. I'm dreaming, aren't I?

If you have not been watching the fine print the lifetime of an SSD depends on its size.
A 50G disk on myth normal usage is around 3 years, a 1T has a life time of 60 years.

Both the 3 year limit happened to me, and smartmon tools gives a life of 63 odd years fot the 1T disk.

James.

Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 21:47:24 -0700, you wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 13, 2020, 4:31 PM jam@tigger.ws <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > I always do a clean install to a separate partition rather than doing an
>> "in-place" upgrade. Before doing this, I first make full backups (I use
>> tar, personally) of non-recording partitions. If you haven't done this
>> before, you'll probably need to do some re-partitioning to make room for a
>> clean install, which is another reason to make good backups first. The
>> reason to have a new, separate partition is so you can go back and forth to
>> and from your current working environment and the new environment.
>> Especially with the change from SD-DD (schedules direct-direct data) to
>> SD-JSON (schedules direct-json). It took me more than an afternoon to get
>> that sorted out to my liking, so it was important to reboot back to the
>> known working environment. I also do this back & forth to upgrade my remote
>> front ends, too.
>>
>> Sorry to wander OT for myth.
>> I have 2 10 or 20 G partitions for root.
>> I alternate each time I install leaving the other to be used if everything
>> fails this install. Also no matter how careful I an I always forget
>> *something* sometimes noticing a week or two later.
>> Many Distros use 1000 as the uid for the first user so leaving home not
>> formated keeps familiar stuff.
>>
>> James
>>
>I currently have the system/myth on one small physical drive/partition, and
>video0 mapped to a separate physical drive/partition. Both are mechanical
>HDDs. I hope to back up mythconverg, clone video0 to a same-size SSD, do
>a clean install of 18.04/myth 31 on a small ssd, and restore the DB. Then
>everything will work great. I'm dreaming, aren't I?

It is not a dream, but there are some problems along the way. I have
done this again recently on my mother's MythTV box, and there is still
a nasty grub bug you may encounter.

First problem: You can not clone a mounted partition, so you can not
clone your boot partition without being booted from somewhere else. I
normally have two bootable partitions on any hard drive or SSD I boot
from, so that I can boot the other partition when I need to do work on
the normal boot partition. This is also very useful when I have a
power failure or crash where the system was not shut down properly. I
can boot to the other boot partition and use it to run "fsck -C -f" on
all the partitions that were mounted at the time. I normally have
lots of partitions, so I have a script to do that, with each drive
checked in parallel. If you do not have another boot partition with
the same level of file system drivers as the normal boot, you will
need to boot from a USB stick or DVD to do the cloning. You can just
use a live install image for Ubuntu. If it does not have gparted
installed already in the image, make an Internet connection and just
do:

sudo apt install gparted

to get it. I think gparted is now in the live images as of about
18.04, so you may not need to do that. As long as your router is
providing DHCP addresses, an Ubuntu live image should just connect to
the Internet without having to set anything up. But you can open a
terminal and manually set up your Ethernet (or WiFi) if necessary.

When you clone a partition using gparted, and I presume also with
other tools, the new partition still has the same UUID as the old one.
So unless you are going to remove the drive that has the old partition
on it completely after you do the cloning, you need to use gparted's
option to change the UUID of the newly cloned partition. You can also
do it using "tune2fs -U". It is very bad to have more than one
partition with the same UUID on a system. It can get very confused
and try to use both copies. If you have labels on the partitions
(both the "partition name" and "file system label" - they are two
different things) you will also need to change them in gparted. When
I do this, I change the UUID on the new partition, and put -old on the
end of the names on the old partition. That is because in fstab, I
mount partitions using the LABEL= option, rather than UUID=. So by
leaving the names on the new partition unchanged, I then do not need
to change fstab. If you do need to change fstab, your live boot image
should have several editors such as nano that you can use, or you can
use apt install to get your favourite. The changes need to be done
before you can boot the new system.

The next problem is installing grub properly on the new boot SSD. This
web page has the proper method:

https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd

If you do not want the old hard drives to be on the new system,
unmount them (if necessary) and shut them down (hdparm -Y /dev/xxxxx)
and unplug them before doing the grub install. You can hot unplug as
long as you have properly unmounted the drives, or you can shut down,
unplug them and reboot your live image.

When you run grub-install/update-grub to set up grub on the new SSD
drive you can get a nasty bug happen where grub builds its
/boot/grub/grub.cfg file incorrectly. Here is the menu entry in
grub.cfg for booting my MythTV box currently:

menuentry 'Ubuntu' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu
--class os $menuentry_id_option
'gnulinux-simple-96179365-c3a1-448f-bd51-89ce2074dc54' {
recordfail
savedefault
load_video
gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod
lzopio; fi
insmod part_gpt
insmod ext2
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
96179365-c3a1-448f-bd51-89ce2074dc54
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
96179365-c3a1-448f-bd51-89ce2074dc54
fi
linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.0-62-generic
root=UUID=96179365-c3a1-448f-bd51-89ce2074dc54 ro iommu=soft quiet
splash $vt_handoff
initrd /boot/initrd.img-5.3.0-62-generic
}

(my email program has wrapped the long lines)

There are four places there where the UUID of the boot partition
(96179365-c3a1-448f-bd51-89ce2074dc54) is used. Grub puts the correct
UUID for the new boot partition in the first three of those, but in
the "linux" line, if the bug happens, it puts the UUID of the old boot
partition. This causes the old boot partition to be booted, but I am
not sure if the new partition gets used along the way or not. In any
case, it is not what you want. So after you have done
grub-install/update-grub, before you try rebooting from the new SSD
boot partition, take a look at all the boot menu entries in grub.cfg
on the SSD boot partition. The way I do this on a live image boot is
to start a terminal then:

sudo su
cd /mnt
mkdir temp
mount /dev/<ssd boot partition> temp
cd /mnt/temp/boot/grub
chmod u+w grub.cfg
nano grub.cfg

If you find that the bug has hit, then you will need to copy the
correct UUID from one of the three prior entries into the "linux" line
replacing the bad UUID. Check all the menus in grub.cfg.

When you exit from your editor:

chmod u-w grub.cfg
cd /mnt
umount temp
exit

I would suggest taking a look at your existing grub.cfg file on your
hard drive before you start the cloning process, so you are familiar
with what it should look like and where things are:

less /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Now reboot, and when the BIOS appears, enter the BIOS config and
change the boot drive to be the new SSD. Everything should now boot
correctly from the new SSD. Once it boots, do any adjustments you
need to fstab so that the old drives' partitions can be mounted.

You only have to fix grub.cfg once - any later grub-install or
update-grub will work correctly. My theory about this bug is that
update-grub is reading the existing grub.cfg and getting the wrong
UUID from there, so after all the UUIDs in grub.cfg are correct, the
bug does not happen again.
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 1:52 AM Stephen Worthington <
> [...]

> I would suggest taking a look at your existing grub.cfg file on your
> hard drive before you start the cloning process, so you are familiar
> with what it should look like and where things are:
>
> less /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> Now reboot, and when the BIOS appears, enter the BIOS config and
> change the boot drive to be the new SSD. Everything should now boot
> correctly from the new SSD. Once it boots, do any adjustments you
> need to fstab so that the old drives' partitions can be mounted.
>
> You only have to fix grub.cfg once - any later grub-install or
> update-grub will work correctly. My theory about this bug is that
> update-grub is reading the existing grub.cfg and getting the wrong
> UUID from there, so after all the UUIDs in grub.cfg are correct, the
> bug does not happen again.
>
> Wow thanks for the detailed advice! I will hang onto it for reference but
I think maybe I was unclear in my earlier message. Right now I have two
physical drives, one 256gb for the OS and user software, and a 1 TB mapped
to /dev/video0 for storing recordings. I only plan to clone the 1 TB.
Planning to use clonezilla to do it to avoid the problems you mentioned
with mounted disks, etc. Then I will do a fresh install of Ubuntu and Myth
on a new 256gb SSD and restore mythconverg. It will never work!!! :-)
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 07:57, DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04. I would like to upgrade to
> MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04. But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
> Ubuntu? I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
> hose the whole setup.

A little late to the conversation here, but I'm still running 16.04 on
Mythtv 30 and it runs fine, I thought there were also also Mythtv 31
packages also but appears not.

https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/31/+packages

need to goto at least18.04 for that.

Regards,

Anthony
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Anthony Giggins <seven@seven.dorksville.net> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 07:57, DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04. I would like to upgrade to
>> MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04. But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
>> Ubuntu? I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
>> hose the whole setup.
>>

> A little late to the conversation here, but I'm still running 16.04 on
> Mythtv 30 and it runs fine, I thought there were also also Mythtv 31
> packages also but appears not.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/31/+packages
>
> need to goto at least18.04 for that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony

I wish I had checked this earlier. I did a combined upgrade ubuntu
16.04->18.04 and 0.28->0.29 on a BE and separate FE this week.

As usual, I did a backup of the database first, then upgraded from
0.28->0.29, then upgraded the release.

Both systems are on lvm on top of raid, so I simply mirrored the root lv
at each step. That way, if the system borked completely or partially, I
would be able to mount the needed mirror volume and/or boot from it. I
do this at every dist-upgrade, in fact, because sometimes the system
gets broken...or a script overwrites/deletes something that you actually
wanted to keep...

Anyhow, this time, everything worked fine (except ffmpeg, but that is
another can of worms...)

I relate all this because clonezilla and co. seem very inflexible. It
would be better to have a strategy for dealing with updates/upgrades in
a seamless way. Of course, filesystems like zfs might be an even better
option but I haven't been brave enough for that.

Leo
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
"rsync" gets by partition size restrictions

Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Is there any "preferred" or most stable Ubuntu version for the latest
MythTV? It seems like many people are running 18.04, but there are 19.10
and 20.04 versions as well. Other things being equal I would go to the
latest, but in the past I have seen people having problems running Myth on
the latest releases.
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:27:50 -0700, you wrote:

>Is there any "preferred" or most stable Ubuntu version for the latest
>MythTV? It seems like many people are running 18.04, but there are 19.10
>and 20.04 versions as well. Other things being equal I would go to the
>latest, but in the past I have seen people having problems running Myth on
>the latest releases.

There is a problem with the latest MariaDB versions which you get in
Ubuntu 20.04. So if you want to use MariaDB, stick with 18.04 for the
moment. If you are using lirc, the packages are broken on 18.04 and
20.04, but I have fix scripts on my web server for both now. I do not
have scripts for the non-LTS Ubuntus. You can not do an upgrade from
LTS to 20.04 yet - the 20.4.1 release which allows that is still a few
days away.
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 7/23/20 11:42 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:27:50 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> Is there any "preferred" or most stable Ubuntu version for the latest
>> MythTV? It seems like many people are running 18.04, but there are 19.10
>> and 20.04 versions as well. Other things being equal I would go to the
>> latest, but in the past I have seen people having problems running Myth on
>> the latest releases.
> There is a problem with the latest MariaDB versions which you get in
> Ubuntu 20.04. So if you want to use MariaDB, stick with 18.04 for the
> moment. If you are using lirc, the packages are broken on 18.04 and
> 20.04, but I have fix scripts on my web server for both now. I do not
> have scripts for the non-LTS Ubuntus. You can not do an upgrade from
> LTS to 20.04 yet - the 20.4.1 release which allows that is still a few
> days away.

Stephen,

I'm glad you posted these comments. I've been wondering about the Ubuntu
20.04 issue with MariaDB. I'm following the bug report
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504) but
no update lately.

From my experimenting I believe that if I have to move to Ubuntu 20.04
before there is a fix, my only choice would be to back everything up
create a new Ubuntu 20.04 system and NOT install MariDB before I install
Mythtv v31 and proceed with MySQL 8. I have been able to restore a daily
backup from MariaDB to a new MySQL system using:

/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
--create_database --filename /full path to
directory/mythconverg-1214-20080626150513.sql.gz
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 24/07/2020 09:32, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 7/23/20 11:42 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:27:50 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any "preferred" or most stable Ubuntu version for the latest
>>> MythTV? It seems like many people are running 18.04, but there are 19.10
>>> and 20.04 versions as well. Other things being equal I would go to the
>>> latest, but in the past I have seen people having problems running Myth on
>>> the latest releases.
>> There is a problem with the latest MariaDB versions which you get in
>> Ubuntu 20.04. So if you want to use MariaDB, stick with 18.04 for the
>> moment. If you are using lirc, the packages are broken on 18.04 and
>> 20.04, but I have fix scripts on my web server for both now. I do not
>> have scripts for the non-LTS Ubuntus. You can not do an upgrade from
>> LTS to 20.04 yet - the 20.4.1 release which allows that is still a few
>> days away.
>>
> Stephen,
>
> I'm glad you posted these comments. I've been wondering about the
> Ubuntu 20.04 issue with MariaDB. I'm following the bug report
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504) but
> no update lately.
>
> From my experimenting I believe that if I have to move to Ubuntu 20.04
> before there is a fix, my only choice would be to back everything up
> create a new Ubuntu 20.04 system and NOT install MariDB before I
> install Mythtv v31 and proceed with MySQL 8. I have been able to
> restore a daily backup from MariaDB to a new MySQL system using:
>
> /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
> --create_database --filename /full path to
> directory/mythconverg-1214-20080626150513.sql.gz

I run mariadb without any issues on ubuntu 20.04 by

Downgrade: libmysqlclient21:amd64 (8.0.20-0ubuntu0.19.10.1, 8.0.19-0ubuntu5)

Synaptic will do this using force version.

Locking this in Synaptic wouldn't work for me so :-

sudo apt-mark hold libmysqlclient21
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 10:05:18 +0100, you wrote:

>I run mariadb without any issues on ubuntu 20.04 by
>
>Downgrade: libmysqlclient21:amd64 (8.0.20-0ubuntu0.19.10.1, 8.0.19-0ubuntu5)
>
>Synaptic will do this using force version.
>
>Locking this in Synaptic wouldn't work for me so :-
>
>sudo apt-mark hold libmysqlclient21

Thanks for that, I wondered if that was an option but have not had the
time to try it.
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> On 24 Jul 2020, at 5:24 pm, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>

>> I run mariadb without any issues on ubuntu 20.04 by
>>
>> Downgrade: libmysqlclient21:amd64 (8.0.20-0ubuntu0.19.10.1, 8.0.19-0ubuntu5)
>>
>> Synaptic will do this using force version.
>>
>> Locking this in Synaptic wouldn't work for me so :-
>>
>> sudo apt-mark hold libmysqlclient21
>
> Thanks for that, I wondered if that was an option but have not had the
> time to try it.

Since I was unable to get myth to install from the repos
I installed a LAMP server that happened to use mysql
I built from src as per the wiki and using ansible
my frontend and backend run on 20.04
total time was about 1 hour
mythbackend has been running perfectly for months.

James
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:29 AM jam@tigger.ws <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 24 Jul 2020, at 5:24 pm, Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> >

> >> I run mariadb without any issues on ubuntu 20.04 by
> >>
> >> Downgrade: libmysqlclient21:amd64 (8.0.20-0ubuntu0.19.10.1,
> 8.0.19-0ubuntu5)
> >>
> >> Synaptic will do this using force version.
> >>
> >> Locking this in Synaptic wouldn't work for me so :-
> >>
> >> sudo apt-mark hold libmysqlclient21
> >
> > Thanks for that, I wondered if that was an option but have not had the
> > time to try it.
>
> Since I was unable to get myth to install from the repos
> I installed a LAMP server that happened to use mysql
> I built from src as per the wiki and using ansible
> my frontend and backend run on 20.04
> total time was about 1 hour
> mythbackend has been running perfectly for months.
>
> James

Why does Myth 31 use mariadb instead of mysql? Is there something wrong
with mysql? I've never had a problem with it. Can you choose to go with
mysql rather than mariadb when installing?
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 8:42 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:27:50 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Is there any "preferred" or most stable Ubuntu version for the latest
> >MythTV? It seems like many people are running 18.04, but there are 19.10
> >and 20.04 versions as well. Other things being equal I would go to the
> >latest, but in the past I have seen people having problems running Myth on
> >the latest releases.
>
> There is a problem with the latest MariaDB versions which you get in
> Ubuntu 20.04. So if you want to use MariaDB, stick with 18.04 for the
> moment. If you are using lirc, the packages are broken on 18.04 and
> 20.04, but I have fix scripts on my web server for both now. I do not
> have scripts for the non-LTS Ubuntus. You can not do an upgrade from
> LTS to 20.04 yet - the 20.4.1 release which allows that is still a few
> days away.
>
> By my website did you mean http://jsw.gen.nz/index.html? I looked on
there and didn't see anything that looked like fix scripts for lirc.
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 7/24/20 11:49 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:29 AM jam@tigger.ws <mailto:jam@tigger.ws>
> <jam@tigger.ws <mailto:jam@tigger.ws>> wrote:
>

> > On 24 Jul 2020, at 5:24 pm, Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz <mailto:stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
> >

> >> I run mariadb without any issues on ubuntu 20.04 by
> >>
> >> Downgrade: libmysqlclient21:amd64 (8.0.20-0ubuntu0.19.10.1,
> 8.0.19-0ubuntu5)
> >>
> >> Synaptic will do this using force version.
> >>
> >> Locking this in Synaptic wouldn't work for me so :-
> >>
> >> sudo apt-mark hold libmysqlclient21
> >
> > Thanks for that, I wondered if that was an option but have not
> had the
> > time to try it.
>
> Since I was unable to get myth to install from the repos
> I installed a LAMP server that happened to use mysql
> I built from src as per the wiki and using ansible
> my frontend and backend run on 20.04
> total time was about 1 hour
> mythbackend has been running perfectly for months.
>
> James
>

> Why does Myth 31 use mariadb instead of mysql?  Is there something
> wrong with mysql?  I've never had a problem with it.  Can you choose
> to go with mysql rather than mariadb when installing?

On a fresh install Mythtv 31 will install and use MySQL unless you have
previously installed MariaDB, then it will use that.

Jim A
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 08:53:06 -0700, you wrote:

>On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 8:42 PM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:27:50 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>> >Is there any "preferred" or most stable Ubuntu version for the latest
>> >MythTV? It seems like many people are running 18.04, but there are 19.10
>> >and 20.04 versions as well. Other things being equal I would go to the
>> >latest, but in the past I have seen people having problems running Myth on
>> >the latest releases.
>>
>> There is a problem with the latest MariaDB versions which you get in
>> Ubuntu 20.04. So if you want to use MariaDB, stick with 18.04 for the
>> moment. If you are using lirc, the packages are broken on 18.04 and
>> 20.04, but I have fix scripts on my web server for both now. I do not
>> have scripts for the non-LTS Ubuntus. You can not do an upgrade from
>> LTS to 20.04 yet - the 20.4.1 release which allows that is still a few
>> days away.
>>
>> By my website did you mean http://jsw.gen.nz/index.html? I looked on
>there and didn't see anything that looked like fix scripts for lirc.

Sorry, I do not have proper index pages. The URLs you want are:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh

Search this mailing list for those file names to find the threads
discussing the problems with lirc and what my scripts fix.

This URL should give you a list of all the files in my web server's
mythtv directory:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv
Re: Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 08:49:12 -0700, you wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:29 AM jam@tigger.ws <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

>> 8.0.19-0ubuntu5)

>> > Thanks for that, I wondered if that was an option but have not had the
>> > time to try it.
>>
>> Since I was unable to get myth to install from the repos
>> I installed a LAMP server that happened to use mysql
>> I built from src as per the wiki and using ansible
>> my frontend and backend run on 20.04
>> total time was about 1 hour
>> mythbackend has been running perfectly for months.
>>
>> James
>>

>Why does Myth 31 use mariadb instead of mysql? Is there something wrong
>with mysql? I've never had a problem with it. Can you choose to go with
>mysql rather than mariadb when installing?

Some of us prefer to use MariaDB. In my case, that is because MySQL
has changed from using the "readline" library to "editline" in its
command line programs. That means the command line programs do not do
proper command history, and I use command history all the time when
doing SQL commands. Using readline contaminated MySQL's licensing -
that was why Oracle changed it to editline, so that they could use
their own license and make MySQL less open. In Fedora/Red Hat, the
default database server is MariaDB and has been for some time,
probably as a result of that sort of change. But in Ubuntu, the
default is still MySQL, and if no database server is installed when
you install the MythTV packages, MySQL will be installed automatically
as it is the first option specified in the MythTV packages. If you
want MariaDB, you need to manually install that before installing the
MythTV packages.