Mailing List Archive

My mythTV is broken after update...
Background: MythTV was working under mint 19.3, I upgraded to mint 20 (which also I think upgraded mythTV) mythbackend is no
longer running.

I'm going to take this one piece at a time since the automod rejected my attempt to ask about the whole problem as being too long.

In the mysql error log I get the following error:

2020-07-11 11:30:26 0 [ERROR] mysqld: Can't open shared library '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mariadb19/plugin/auth_socket.so'
(errno: 22, cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
2020-07-11 11:30:26 0 [ERROR] Couldn't load plugins from 'auth_socket.so'.

This is the first reported error (there are others, but I'm attacking this one error at a time).

my google foo is not very good. All I found for this error was a different application giving this error where they eliminated
the error by removing the call to the library since the app did not need the library.

So how do I find and install the plugin that mysql does not find?

Thanks.

Re: My mythTV is broken after update... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 15:18:19 -0700, you wrote:

>Background: MythTV was working under mint 19.3, I upgraded to mint 20 (which also I think upgraded mythTV) mythbackend is no
>longer running.
>
>I'm going to take this one piece at a time since the automod rejected my attempt to ask about the whole problem as being too long.
>
>In the mysql error log I get the following error:
>
>2020-07-11 11:30:26 0 [ERROR] mysqld: Can't open shared library '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mariadb19/plugin/auth_socket.so'
>(errno: 22, cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
>2020-07-11 11:30:26 0 [ERROR] Couldn't load plugins from 'auth_socket.so'.
>
>This is the first reported error (there are others, but I'm attacking this one error at a time).
>
>my google foo is not very good. All I found for this error was a different application giving this error where they eliminated
>the error by removing the call to the library since the app did not need the library.
>
>So how do I find and install the plugin that mysql does not find?
>
>Thanks.

The auth_socket.so error is likely the cause of your problems, as it
means that MariaDB is not working properly (or possibly even at all).
From the name, it is likely the library file used to connect to
MariaDB using sockets. It is a pretty fundamental thing to go wrong.
It may well be that if you just to this:

sudo mysql

you will not be able to connect to MariaDB. Or

sudo systemctl status mariadb

will show that MariaDB is not running or is having errors itself.

I went looking for auth_socket.so on my system (Xubuntu 18.04) and
could not find it in my current setup. There were copies found on a
couple of old 14.04 partitions I have mounted. So that says to me
that auth_socket.so is no longer used in 18.04. I am not up to date
with Mint, but I presume that Mint 20 is based on Ubuntu 20.04. If
so, then it should not be using auth_socket.so either. So it looks
like the upgrade process for MariaDB failed.

The first thing to try would be to see if there are package problems
that need fixing. Try this command:

sudo apt-get -f install

The -f option stands for "fix broken packages". It is not uncommon
for version upgrades to have problems like this, and if you were not
watching the whole process as it happened, you can miss that the
upgrade was not entirely successful.

If there was nothing for -f to fix, I would suggest that a possible
fix would be to uninstall and reinstall all of MariaDB. This is scary
- uninstalling the MariaDB packages will also uninstall MythTV as it
is dependent on MariaDB or MySQL. There may also be other packages
dependent on MariaDB that will also be uninstalled. However, if you
just do a plain uninstall and not a purge, all the current data and
settings will remain behind, so when you install everything again, the
configuration should be unchanged and the databases still there. When
you do the uninstall, note down any other things (like MythTV) that
get uninstalled, and also reinstall them when you have reinstalled
MariaDB.
Re: My mythTV is broken after update... [ In reply to ]
On 7/11/20 10:32 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> [...]
> for version upgrades to have problems like this, and if you were not
> watching the whole process as it happened, you can miss that the
> upgrade was not entirely successful.
>
> If there was nothing for -f to fix, I would suggest that a possible
> fix would be to uninstall and reinstall all of MariaDB. This is scary
> - uninstalling the MariaDB packages will also uninstall MythTV as it
> is dependent on MariaDB or MySQL. There may also be other packages
> dependent on MariaDB that will also be uninstalled. However, if you
> just do a plain uninstall and not a purge, all the current data and
> settings will remain behind, so when you install everything again, the
> configuration should be unchanged and the databases still there. When
> you do the uninstall, note down any other things (like MythTV) that
> get uninstalled, and also reinstall them when you have reinstalled

As the root SQL user, SELECT * FROM mysql.plugin; will help. auth_socket
is the only plugin on my Ubuntu 20.04 MySQL v8 host. On my 20.04 MariaDB
host, there isn't an auth_socket entry in mysql.plugin.

On 20.04 MySQL v8: locate auth_socket returns:

/usr/lib/mysql/plugin/auth_socket.so

For a Mint 20 user (pinnerite) on the Forum, I just recommended:

dpkg -l mysql* mariadb* | egrep -v "^un|^rc"

as they're having SQL issues and appear to have/have had both servers
installed.

--
Bill