out.

Enjoy!
John
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
I've now just uploaded a new version both with and without plugins to the
sourceforge repository (
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/).

I have also updated the build script which required some major surgery to
get mythplugins working again.

James - this might fix your metadata issues. One of the things I
discovered while fixing the plugins was that the helper apps were missing
some of the dylibs required to work (or were linking to the build
directory...). Adding the libs to the app as a framework and modifying the
executable to search inside the mythfrontend.app is now automated in my
build script.

~John

Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 9:09 AM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've now just uploaded a new version both with and without plugins to the
> sourceforge repository (
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/).
>
> I have also updated the build script which required some major surgery to
> get mythplugins working again.
>
> James - this might fix your metadata issues. One of the things I
> discovered while fixing the plugins was that the helper apps were missing
> some of the dylibs required to work (or were linking to the build
> directory...). Adding the libs to the app as a framework and modifying the
> executable to search inside the mythfrontend.app is now automated in my
> build script.
>
> ~John

John,
Thanks for this update. This fixed the issue of the persistent menu bar
appearing on my HighSierra frontend.
For anyone else with older hardware, I have an Early 2009 Mini (GeForce
9400m 256MB), but I can still get decent playback with this build using
VideoToolbox(decode only) and "low quality" deinterlacing.
WRT the metadata grabber, how does one set this up? The setup page in the
frontend currently lists no available options. Does one need to download
the python scripts or copy them from a linux installation and place them in
a specific directory on the Mac frontend?

Steve
--
________________________
"destroying the fundamental underpinnings of the broadcast television
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
> For anyone else with older hardware, I have an Early 2009 Mini (GeForce
> 9400m 256MB), but I can still get decent playback with this build using
> VideoToolbox(decode only) and "low quality" deinterlacing.
> WRT the metadata grabber, how does one set this up? The setup page in the
> frontend currently lists no available options. Does one need to download
> the python scripts or copy them from a linux installation and place them in
> a specific directory on the Mac frontend?

No clue - I added the "mythmetadatalookup" binary (...and requested support
libraries) to the app bundle. There's a directory in the app
Mythfrontend.app/Contenst/Resources that should be the correct place to
drop lib or share files.

If it's missing any required python resources let me know which ones and I
can try to bundle them into the app in the future (I'm sure they get
installed while I'm building into my temp install directory somewhere.
It's just a matter of hunting and gathering, and occasionally linking the
bits in the app).

BTW - I added a page to the wiki to walk folks through the build process
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Building_MythFrontend_on_Mac_OS_X
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
Well, I think I just figured out why the metadatsearch and python bindings
are failing. There's a hard code in these files pointing to python2.6

- mythtv/programs/mythbackend/main.cpp
- mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/main.cpp
- mythtv/programs/mythmetadatalookup/main.cpp

The line in each file is:

QString("%1/../Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages:%2")

I've just submitted a big report and will see if I can get a work around
working

Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 7:07 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I think I just figured out why the metadatsearch and python bindings
> are failing. There's a hard code in these files pointing to python2.6
>
> - mythtv/programs/mythbackend/main.cpp
> - mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/main.cpp
> - mythtv/programs/mythmetadatalookup/main.cpp
>
> The line in each file is:
>
> QString("%1/../Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages:%2")
>

> I've just submitted a big report and will see if I can get a work around
> working

I also just uploaded some pre-built version with working metadata
capability to SourceForge. I tested the capability in Videos and
everything works on my system. Others may be missing some python modules
(I copied in the modules installed by ansible to the app), so if things
don't work for you please let me know and I'll add more modules.
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
> On 6 Jul 2020, at 5:24 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 7:07 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I think I just figured out why the metadatsearch and python bindings are failing. There's a hard code in these files pointing to python2.6
> • mythtv/programs/mythbackend/main.cpp
> • mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/main.cpp
> • mythtv/programs/mythmetadatalookup/main.cpp
> The line in each file is:
> QString("%1/../Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages:%2")
>
> I've just submitted a big report and will see if I can get a work around working
>
> I also just uploaded some pre-built version with working metadata capability to SourceForge. I tested the capability in Videos and everything works on my system. Others may be missing some python modules (I copied in the modules installed by ansible to the app), so if things don't work for you please let me know and I'll add more modules.

John
I tried the radio-stream plugin that works perfectly
I tried meta data look up (i->change video details->retrieve details)
Which fails in about 1 sec.

Using the: /Volumes/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe-with-plugins
Playing on macbook pro 2019 running catalina

James

Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]

> Using the:
> /Volumes/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe-with-plugins
> Playing on macbook pro 2019 running catalina
>
> James

James, you;ll need to download the
MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe*.1*-with-plugins version I
posted this AM. (key is the .1 rev)

Sorry about that - the older version didn't have the python bits copied
into the correct place.

If that doesn't work - I'd love to get a copy of the log output to try to
debug later in the week. There's a good chance of python incompatibilities
getting in the way since I use the macports version.
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 8:28 AM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Using the:
>> /Volumes/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe-with-plugins
>> Playing on macbook pro 2019 running catalina
>>
>> James
>>

> James, you;ll need to download the
> MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe*.1*-with-plugins version I
> posted this AM. (key is the .1 rev)
>
> Sorry about that - the older version didn't have the python bits copied
> into the correct place.
>
> If that doesn't work - I'd love to get a copy of the log output to try to
> debug later in the week. There's a good chance of python incompatibilities
> getting in the way since I use the macports version.

Here's the direct link to the "right" version
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe.1-with-plugins.dmg/download
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
> On 6 Jul 2020, at 8:28 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Using the: /Volumes/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe-with-plugins
> Playing on macbook pro 2019 running catalina
>
> James
>
> James, you;ll need to download the MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe.1-with-plugins version I posted this AM. (key is the .1 rev)
>
> Sorry about that - the older version didn't have the python bits copied into the correct place.
>
> If that doesn't work - I'd love to get a copy of the log output to try to debug later in the week. There's a good chance of python incompatibilities getting in the way since I use the macports version.

John sorry. I did not notice the .1 but I did get the correct dmg

MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe.1-with-plugins.dmg

I'll run it by cli (I don't know how/where logs are, this gives a goog trace

James
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
> On 6 Jul 2020, at 8:54 pm, jam@tigger.ws wrote:
>

>> On 6 Jul 2020, at 8:28 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Using the: /Volumes/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe-with-plugins
>> Playing on macbook pro 2019 running catalina
>>
>> James
>>
>> James, you;ll need to download the MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe.1-with-plugins version I posted this AM. (key is the .1 rev)
>>
>> Sorry about that - the older version didn't have the python bits copied into the correct place.
>>
>> If that doesn't work - I'd love to get a copy of the log output to try to debug later in the week. There's a good chance of python incompatibilities getting in the way since I use the macports version.
>
> John sorry. I did not notice the .1 but I did get the correct dmg
>
> MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-3ef7db67fe.1-with-plugins.dmg
>
> I'll run it by cli (I don't know how/where logs are, this gives a goog trace

Using the SAME dmg, instead of running from the downloaded dmg I installed, then ran in a terminal to get a trace and it worked.perfectly.
Perhaps I was just stupid somewhere, but my feedback was spurios noise, sorry, and a huge thankyou for all your efforts.

The linux frontend is sluggish starting and in menu ops, the osx version is worse. I'll spend some time trying to find out where and I'll feedback.

James
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]

> Using the SAME dmg, instead of running from the downloaded dmg I
> installed, then ran in a terminal to get a trace and it worked.perfectly.
> Perhaps I was just stupid somewhere, but my feedback was spurios noise,
> sorry, and a huge thankyou for all your efforts.

Strange - I wouldn't expect the older version to work. I had copied in the
MythTV python module to that one, but the app wasn't setup correctly to
find it in the python3.8 I copied in. The new dmg fixes this by adding a
symlink internal to the app from python3.8->python2.6 (a packaging hack
until my new ticket gets resolved...)

You may have the MyhTV module copied to somewhere else on your system.

Glad it's working for you! Agree that mythtv is starting up slow on both
linux (ubuntu in my case) and MacOS. I'd suggest running with the "-v
all,nodatabase" flag to get more output while you try to track down
whatever is being slow to load.
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
> On 7 Jul 2020, at 7:33 am, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Using the SAME dmg, instead of running from the downloaded dmg I installed, then ran in a terminal to get a trace and it worked.perfectly.
> Perhaps I was just stupid somewhere, but my feedback was spurios noise, sorry, and a huge thankyou for all your efforts.
>
> Strange - I wouldn't expect the older version to work. I had copied in the MythTV python module to that one, but the app wasn't setup correctly to find it in the python3.8 I copied in. The new dmg fixes this by adding a symlink internal to the app from python3.8->python2.6 (a packaging hack until my new ticket gets resolved...)
>
> You may have the MyhTV module copied to somewhere else on your system.
>
> Glad it's working for you! Agree that mythtv is starting up slow on both linux (ubuntu in my case) and MacOS. I'd suggest running with the "-v all,nodatabase" flag to get more output while you try to track down whatever is being slow to load.

Sorry John I’ve csused confusion

I downloaded the correct dmg
I ran it from the dmg and had no meta data work
I (to avoid the alias stuff) copied it and pasted to my local Applicions. Which turns out to be an alias to /Applications with local permissions. Meta data now worked.

There is an issue however

I’m using MythCenter Wide theme, but I tried a few and they are all the same.

If you pause playback you get a usage bar and the time displayed.
My build (using your ansible script), your earlier builds my linux frontends DO show this behaviour.
The recent metadata fixes DO NOT show anything on screen during pause.

James
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
James - good catch the OSD in playback is mesed up on my version as well.
I clearly missed this when testing Mark Kendal's bug fixes. I'll submit a
new ticket into track.

Mark - many apologies for the mess up and missing this bug in testing.

Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:38 AM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> James - good catch the OSD in playback is mesed up on my version as well.
> I clearly missed this when testing Mark Kendal's bug fixes. I'll submit a
> new ticket into track.
>
> Mark - many apologies for the mess up and missing this bug in testing.

I just opened ticket 13646 (https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13646) to
hopefully get this resolved. Again, apologies that I missed this in test.
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 2:26 AM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 7:07 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, I think I just figured out why the metadatsearch and python
>> bindings are failing. There's a hard code in these files pointing to
>> python2.6
>>
>> - mythtv/programs/mythbackend/main.cpp
>> - mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/main.cpp
>> - mythtv/programs/mythmetadatalookup/main.cpp
>>
>> The line in each file is:
>>
>> QString("%1/../Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages:%2")
>>

>> I've just submitted a big report and will see if I can get a work around
>> working
>>

> I also just uploaded some pre-built version with working metadata
> capability to SourceForge. I tested the capability in Videos and
> everything works on my system. Others may be missing some python modules
> (I copied in the modules installed by ansible to the app), so if things
> don't work for you please let me know and I'll add more modules.

Hi John,
Thank you for your continued work on the mac 0.31 frontend!
In your latest ".1" build, I can see the grabbers in
/Resources/share/mythtv/metadata, but they do not show up to be selected in
the metadata settings page (I've tried under multiple themes). As a
result, metadata lookups fail, e.g.:

2020-07-11 09:41:13.497473 I Running Grabber: -l en -a US -M Star.Wars

2020-07-11 09:41:13.544406 E MythSystemLegacy() command not executable,

eno: No such file or directory (2)

Is there something that has to be edited/moved before the frontend will
find the python modules within the metadata settings page?

Thanks,
Steve

--
________________________
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]

>>> Hi John,
> Thank you for your continued work on the mac 0.31 frontend!
> In your latest ".1" build, I can see the grabbers in
> /Resources/share/mythtv/metadata, but they do not show up to be selected in
> the metadata settings page (I've tried under multiple themes). As a
> result, metadata lookups fail, e.g.:
>

> 2020-07-11 09:41:13.497473 I Running Grabber: -l en -a US -M Star.Wars
>
> 2020-07-11 09:41:13.544406 E MythSystemLegacy() command not executable,
>
> eno: No such file or directory (2)
>
> Is there something that has to be edited/moved before the frontend will
> find the python modules within the metadata settings page?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Steve - try grabbing the data in the video browser. Navigate to the item
and hit the Info key (I key) -> Change Video Details -> Retrieve Details

Let me know if that works and what comes out on the console. I have
noticed some movies try thetvdb grabber and fail there.

Also - can you point me to the metadata settings page you're referring to?
Mine seem to work - but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

BTW - the python hard code ticket I opened up has been fixed/closed. I can
post an updated build if you'd like - but I'm unsure if it will fix any of
your problems. Just let me know if you'd like to give it a go and I'll
spin up the VM and compile/post it to sourceforge.
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 4:28 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thank you for your continued work on the mac 0.31 frontend!
>> In your latest ".1" build, I can see the grabbers in
>> /Resources/share/mythtv/metadata, but they do not show up to be selected in
>> the metadata settings page (I've tried under multiple themes). As a
>> result, metadata lookups fail, e.g.:
>>

>> 2020-07-11 09:41:13.497473 I Running Grabber: -l en -a US -M Star.Wars
>>
>> 2020-07-11 09:41:13.544406 E MythSystemLegacy() command not executable,
>>
>> eno: No such file or directory (2)
>>
>> Is there something that has to be edited/moved before the frontend will
>> find the python modules within the metadata settings page?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>

> Steve - try grabbing the data in the video browser. Navigate to the item
> and hit the Info key (I key) -> Change Video Details -> Retrieve Details
>
> Let me know if that works and what comes out on the console. I have
> noticed some movies try thetvdb grabber and fail there.
>
> Also - can you point me to the metadata settings page you're referring to?
> Mine seem to work - but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
>
> BTW - the python hard code ticket I opened up has been fixed/closed. I
> can post an updated build if you'd like - but I'm unsure if it will fix any
> of your problems. Just let me know if you'd like to give it a go and I'll
> spin up the VM and compile/post it to sourceforge.

I'm actually posting the new builds now - should be up in 5 min.

Another thought I had is that maybe there's some garbage path in your
~/.mythtv directory. Have you tried moving the directory to a new name
then start with a fresh set of mythtv settings?
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 1:30 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thank you for your continued work on the mac 0.31 frontend!
>> In your latest ".1" build, I can see the grabbers in
>> /Resources/share/mythtv/metadata, but they do not show up to be selected in
>> the metadata settings page (I've tried under multiple themes). As a
>> result, metadata lookups fail, e.g.:
>>

>> 2020-07-11 09:41:13.497473 I Running Grabber: -l en -a US -M Star.Wars
>>
>> 2020-07-11 09:41:13.544406 E MythSystemLegacy() command not executable,
>>
>> eno: No such file or directory (2)
>>
>> Is there something that has to be edited/moved before the frontend will
>> find the python modules within the metadata settings page?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>

> Steve - try grabbing the data in the video browser. Navigate to the item
> and hit the Info key (I key) -> Change Video Details -> Retrieve Details
>
> Let me know if that works and what comes out on the console. I have
> noticed some movies try thetvdb grabber and fail there.
>
> Also - can you point me to the metadata settings page you're referring to?
> Mine seem to work - but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
>
> BTW - the python hard code ticket I opened up has been fixed/closed. I
> can post an updated build if you'd like - but I'm unsure if it will fix any
> of your problems. Just let me know if you'd like to give it a go and I'll
> spin up the VM and compile/post it to sourceforge.

John,

That is what I was doing (attempting to grab data from the Info menu via
Retrieve Details in the video browser) to generate the console messages.
There are no Grabbers available to that method because they currently can
not be set in the metadata settings page:
Setup->Artwork and Data sources

Steve
--
________________________
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]

> That is what I was doing (attempting to grab data from the Info menu via
> Retrieve Details in the video browser) to generate the console messages.
> There are no Grabbers available to that method because they currently can
> not be set in the metadata settings page:
> Setup->Artwork and Data sources
>
> Steve

Can you attach the full mythtv console output when this occurs? It's
strange because the app on my system checks internally for all of the
metadata and python goodies now. Clearly you're not having any luck and
I'm beginning to suspect a configuration issue either on your system or
some hard code that I need to track down on the compile.

James - is metadata downloading still working on your system with the
latest build that I just uploaded to sourceforge (it is on mine)?
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 2:03 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thank you for your continued work on the mac 0.31 frontend!
>>> In your latest ".1" build, I can see the grabbers in
>>> /Resources/share/mythtv/metadata, but they do not show up to be selected in
>>> the metadata settings page (I've tried under multiple themes). As a
>>> result, metadata lookups fail, e.g.:
>>>

>>> 2020-07-11 09:41:13.497473 I Running Grabber: -l en -a US -M Star.Wars
>>>
>>> 2020-07-11 09:41:13.544406 E MythSystemLegacy() command not executable,
>>>
>>> eno: No such file or directory (2)
>>>
>>> Is there something that has to be edited/moved before the frontend will
>>> find the python modules within the metadata settings page?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Steve - try grabbing the data in the video browser. Navigate to the item
>> and hit the Info key (I key) -> Change Video Details -> Retrieve Details
>>
>> Let me know if that works and what comes out on the console. I have
>> noticed some movies try thetvdb grabber and fail there.
>>
>> Also - can you point me to the metadata settings page you're referring
>> to? Mine seem to work - but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
>>
>> BTW - the python hard code ticket I opened up has been fixed/closed. I
>> can post an updated build if you'd like - but I'm unsure if it will fix any
>> of your problems. Just let me know if you'd like to give it a go and I'll
>> spin up the VM and compile/post it to sourceforge.
>>

> I'm actually posting the new builds now - should be up in 5 min.
>
> Another thought I had is that maybe there's some garbage path in your
> ~/.mythtv directory. Have you tried moving the directory to a new name
> then start with a fresh set of mythtv settings?

Good idea. I gave that a try, re-connected to the database, but still was
unable to set anything in the Artwork and Data Sources page.
What do you see on the Artwork and Data Sources page?

--
________________________
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]

> What do you see on the Artwork and Data Sources page?

Unfortunately the grabbers get filled out for me no issues.

Do you have macports and python3.8 from macports installed? I'm beginning
to suspect that the python bits will only work if you have a matching setup
to my own.
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 2:25 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you see on the Artwork and Data Sources page?
>>

> Unfortunately the grabbers get filled out for me no issues.
>
> Do you have macports and python3.8 from macports installed? I'm beginning
> to suspect that the python bits will only work if you have a matching setup
> to my own.

Hi John,
Attached is the log file with the Grabber attempt using your latest build.
I have macports, but not python3.8 installed. That's a good suggestion.
Let me remind myself how to install stuff via macports and give that a try.

Thanks again,
Steve
--
________________________
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]

> Hi John,
>>
> Attached is the log file with the Grabber attempt using your latest build.
> I have macports, but not python3.8 installed. That's a good suggestion.
> Let me remind myself how to install stuff via macports and give that a try.
>
> sudo port install python3.8 I think :)

the following lines have me confused (i.e. I don't know what they mean)

"2020-07-11 14:23:30.297714 E [24677/71687] MetadataDownload
mythsystemlegacy.cpp:163 (SetCommand) - MythSystemLegacy() command not
executable,
eno: No such file or directory (2)"

I'll have to look into them a bit more.
Re: v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved [ In reply to ]
> I have macports, but not python3.8 installed. That's a good suggestion.
>> Let me remind myself how to install stuff via macports and give that a try.

make that "sudo port install python38" - just updated the sourceforge site
readme to hint that this could be a fix. Let me know if this fixes the
python bits for you and I'll add more definitive language to the site.

1 2 3  View All