Hi - I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and Mythtv 31 (fresh install), previous versions working fine and 31 no different. I've got 100's of 'recordings' and 'videos' going gack around 10 years.

Just recently I seem to have lost the recording schedule info for most of my recordings. When I hit E, or use M and edit recording schedule I get a 'recording rule does not exist' message.
I can edit the metadata, but not the recording rule. This seems to means that I cannot edit the covers, or fanart if I want to.

I've not been through them all, but it looks like the oldest recordings (pre 2013) still have the recording info in, but as far as I can tell nothing since. All the videos are of course fine and I can edit artwork as normal. In the recordings screen, they all still show the recording date, and artwork is still present.

I've tried restoring to the oldest database backup I have (about a month ago) when I'm pretty sure everything was working, but I still have the issue.

Does anyone know why this might have happened?
I've done a few updates recently - might they be the cause?
I would like to fix this if I can, so any help greatly appreciated.

Re: 'Recording Rule does not exist' - new problem. Ubuntu 18.04 Mythtv 31 [ In reply to ]
On 06/27/2020 11:22 AM, plainface boy wrote:
> Hi - I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and Mythtv 31 (fresh install), previous versions working fine and 31 no different. I've got 100's of 'recordings' and 'videos' going gack around 10 years.
>
> Just recently I seem to have lost the recording schedule info for most of my recordings. When I hit E, or use M and edit recording schedule I get a 'recording rule does not exist' message.
> I can edit the metadata, but not the recording rule. This seems to means that I cannot edit the covers, or fanart if I want to.
>
> I've not been through them all, but it looks like the oldest recordings (pre 2013) still have the recording info in, but as far as I can tell nothing since. All the videos are of course fine and I can edit artwork as normal. In the recordings screen, they all still show the recording date, and artwork is still present.
>
> I've tried restoring to the oldest database backup I have (about a month ago) when I'm pretty sure everything was working, but I still have the issue.
>
> Does anyone know why this might have happened?
> I've done a few updates recently - might they be the cause?
> I would like to fix this if I can, so any help greatly appreciated.

Recording does not exist doesn't mean that the information about the
recording is not in the database. It means that the recording itself
(the file) is missing/inaccessible. This is usually due to file system
permissions or missing file system mounts (i.e. with network file
systems) or files in the wrong location/directory compared to those
specified in your Storage Groups or, potentially, because of changed
host names of your MythTV backend systems.

Mike
Re: 'Recording Rule does not exist' - new problem. Ubuntu 18.04 Mythtv 31 [ In reply to ]
On 06/29/2020 07:01 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/27/2020 11:22 AM, plainface boy wrote:
>> Hi - I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and Mythtv 31 (fresh install), previous
>> versions working fine and 31 no different. I've got 100's of
>> 'recordings' and 'videos' going gack around 10 years.
>>
>> Just recently I seem to have lost the recording schedule info for
>> most of my recordings. When I hit E, or use M and edit recording
>> schedule I get a 'recording rule does not exist' message.
>> I can edit the metadata, but not the recording rule. This seems to
>> means that I cannot edit the covers, or fanart if I want to.
>>
>> I've not been through them all, but it looks like the oldest
>> recordings (pre 2013) still have the recording info in, but as far as
>> I can tell nothing since. All the videos are of course fine and I can
>> edit artwork as normal. In the recordings screen, they all still show
>> the recording date, and artwork is still present.
>>
>> I've tried restoring to the oldest database backup I have (about a
>> month ago) when I'm pretty sure everything was working, but I still
>> have the issue.
>>
>> Does anyone know why this might have happened?
>> I've done a few updates recently - might they be the cause?
>> I would like to fix this if I can, so any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Recording does not exist doesn't mean that the information about the
> recording is not in the database. It means that the recording itself
> (the file) is missing/inaccessible. This is usually due to file
> system permissions or missing file system mounts (i.e. with network
> file systems) or files in the wrong location/directory compared to
> those specified in your Storage Groups or, potentially, because of
> changed host names of your MythTV backend systems.

Oh, wait, you said, "recording rule does not exist." If that's what it
says, it's different from "recording does not exist," so nevermind the
above.

Mike
'Recording Rule does not exist' - new problem. Ubuntu 18.04 Mythtv 31 [ In reply to ]
>>> previous

>>> far as
>>> can
>>> show

>> You may want to check the consistency of your database. There is a
>> script
>> in mythtv to do it, but I cannot find it on my system. Mysql will do
>> it as
>> well:
>>
>> mysqlcheck -h mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
>>
>> The -h is the hostname of your mythconverg database, probably
>> localhost for
>> most. -u and -p are the username and passwords from
>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>
> In Ubuntu:
>
> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl
>
> but it should also be installed as:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/optimize_mythdb
>
> so that it gets run daily. Without regular checks, errors in the
> database can build on each other until a table is unfixable. If the
> first error that happens gets fixed by the daily check, that normally
> does not happen. If your MythTV box crashes or is reset without being
> shut down (eg power cut), you should also run optimize_mythdb as soon
> as possible after it reboots as any table in the database that was
> being written to at that time may be damaged or crashed.

I have run optimize now and then (I used to have a daily job but have
forgotten to put back at re-installs) - but I tried that tonight, and
mysqlcheck. Both ran successfully but made no difference. All recordings
after a date some years back still have no recording rule. For all the
recordings with the missing recording rule, in the 'show recording
details' option under menu there is a 'recording rule' field (typically
a number eg 21, 39, etc). The older recordings that still have the rule
(and where I can edit the recording schedule) do not show this field in
the show recording details screen. Not sure if that means anything.

Is there any other way I can rebuild the database and fix this, without
risking making things worse?