remote frontend in that it keeps the system going until it is shut down
manually.

This behaviour is not fully consistent, sometimes it does not keep the
master awake but ignoring that I am looking for a method of
automatically shutting it down.

I thought a possible solution would be to invoke slave shutdown using
SSH from the master as part of its shutdown routine but that will not
work as the slave is keeping the master alive.
Re: Slave Backend Shutdown [ In reply to ]
Doesn't the RPI need power removed to get a full shutdown and, more importantly, have power re-applied to get it to start back up?  Does it have a sleep mode that can be pre-programmed to wake up in time for the next recording?  I can see the RPI used for a FE or always-on BE, but how do you get it to power up and down?

If you watch the lights on a Pi during shutdown, the green light flashes 10 times, then stays on steady until the SD card has done its internal updates of the pending writes, then the green light goes out, indicating it's time to pull the plug.  (this seems to have changed on the Pi4; no steady-on at the end)  Any plug-pulling before then and all bets are off on the integrity of the card.  Learned that the hard way...

Dave D.
Just recently added a slave backend to my system which works very well.

Uses a Rasberry Pi to host a Hauppauge Dual HD USB tuner.

Has anybody got a way to shut the slave down after the last recording of the day?

I use the https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Idle_Screen"]Idle Screen on the master frontend to shut it down after recordings have finished and the front end is no longer in use. The slave backend seems to act like a remote frontend in that it keeps the system going until it is shut down manually.

_______________________________________________ mythtv-users mailing list mythtv-users@mythtv.org http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users"]http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette"]http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org"]https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Slave Backend Shutdown [ In reply to ]
On 6/25/20 10:36 AM, DaveD wrote:

> Doesn't the RPI need power removed to get a full shutdown and, more
> importantly, have power re-applied to get it to start back up?  Does
> it have a sleep mode that can be pre-programmed to wake up in time for
> the next recording?  I can see the RPI used for a FE or always-on BE,
> but how do you get it to power up and down?
>
> If you watch the lights on a Pi during shutdown, the green light
> flashes 10 times, then stays on steady until the SD card has done its
> internal updates of the pending writes, then the green light goes out,
> indicating it's time to pull the plug. (this seems to have changed on
> the Pi4; no steady-on at the end)  Any plug-pulling before then and
> all bets are off on the integrity of the card.  Learned that the hard
> way...
>
> Dave D.

From my reading and experience, the RPi has no power management so no
sleep or hibernate modes. If you do a shutdown it requires the power to
be removed before it will reset.  I use the Canakit PS which comes with
a push button switch to remove power.

IMHO, the RPi consumes  less power running than my X86_64 PC mythbackend
in suspend mode.  I've never had a mythbackend successfully suspend and
resume correctly more than a few times. So I just run mine 24/7 with a
UPS backend to ride me thru the glitches.  I leave my RPi4 mythbackend
on all the time as well.

Jim A

Re: Slave Backend Shutdown [ In reply to ]
All true but the power consumption is so low its probably adequate to
stop the slave at shutdown and starting it when the master boots up.
Just need an event on the Master to trigger off.