capturing HD from cable/satellite in the US?

Thanks,
Zach
Re: HD capture hardware [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 5:04 PM Zach Cutlip <uid000@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the current state of HD capture hardware (in the US in
> particular)? For the past 12 years or so, I've been using my HD-PVRs,
> which I believe haven't been available for a long time, to capture
> component video from DirecTV boxes. What's recommended nowadays for
> capturing HD from cable/satellite in the US?
>
> Thanks,
> Zach

The Hauppauge Colossus2 and HD-PVR2 work:
https://github.com/jpoet/HauppaugeUSB
A bit tricker to get configured than the first generation due to the
"driver" choices that Hauppauge made. Once they are configured, though,
they have proven more reliable than the first generation.
If you want DD 5.1 sound, then make sure you get one with a S/PDIF input.
The Colossus2 only comes in one flavor which includes S/PDIF, but the
HD-PVR2 can be bought without it.

Instead of using the native MythTV support in the hauppauge2 program, I
have recently switched to using mythexternrecorder to "drive" it.
mythexternrecorder is more flexible in its configuration options. I need to
update the README on how to do that.

John
Re: HD capture hardware [ In reply to ]
Excellent; thanks for the info!

I presume in most cases HDCP is still an issue, so the best we can
hope for is capture via component?

Zach

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 4:42 PM John P Poet <jppoet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 5:04 PM Zach Cutlip <uid000@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What's the current state of HD capture hardware (in the US in
>> particular)? For the past 12 years or so, I've been using my HD-PVRs,
>> which I believe haven't been available for a long time, to capture
>> component video from DirecTV boxes. What's recommended nowadays for
>> capturing HD from cable/satellite in the US?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Zach
>

> The Hauppauge Colossus2 and HD-PVR2 work:
> https://github.com/jpoet/HauppaugeUSB
> A bit tricker to get configured than the first generation due to the "driver" choices that Hauppauge made. Once they are configured, though, they have proven more reliable than the first generation.
> If you want DD 5.1 sound, then make sure you get one with a S/PDIF input. The Colossus2 only comes in one flavor which includes S/PDIF, but the HD-PVR2 can be bought without it.
>
> Instead of using the native MythTV support in the hauppauge2 program, I have recently switched to using mythexternrecorder to "drive" it. mythexternrecorder is more flexible in its configuration options. I need to update the README on how to do that.
>
> John

:wq!