Mailing List Archive

Where are we?
Hi Folks!

I’ll probably be opening that proverbial Can o’ Worms but where are we??
I was hoping to see a reply to help fix my Database issue before
tomorrow’s e-mail auto-post. There was a bit of a skirmish about a year
ago where the e-mail portion of this forum was intended to be
‘read-only’, or at least could be but not supposed to be replied
to/uploaded to, post directly to the forum. OK, I can abide by that.
Minor problem: I can’t find us!

Stephen said we’re at https://forum.mythtv.org which goes to the Board
Index with a listing of subconfreneces. OK, no problem. I can’t find me
(I am registered, else I probably wouldn’t get the e-mail posts); can’t
even find my old posts. Tried a few search options:

Backendserveraddr     ==> post in Troubleshooting from 2019

Hika     ==> post in Troubleshooting from 2015

Database Using Old IP Address    ==> too general words error message

192.168.4.3:6544 (from my original post)     ==> "60 hits but ignoring 4
3".  Am getting various subconferences

        Visually scanned for me: NF!

“Backendserveraddr” is from Stephen’s reply to me – maybe too soon to be
indexed.

“Hika” we all know and like. You’re a frequent poster.   Apparently good
at Hide & Seek too! <joke>

So I don’t know where we are. I looked. And I’ll admit I’ll probably
feel real stupid when I read the answer, or maybe I did find a problem,
or the access just isn’t obvious to some of us.

Barry
Re: Where are we? [ In reply to ]
On 21/06/2020 21:15, Barry Martin wrote:

> So I don’t know where we are. I looked. And I’ll admit I’ll probably
> feel real stupid when I read the answer, or maybe I did find a problem,
> or the access just isn’t obvious to some of us.
>

> Barry

Posts to the list are archived at the URL quoted here

That is, at http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/

and this is another archive that has a larger set of search options:
select 'Users' and click on 'Advanced'

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/

The URL for the forum is https://forum.mythtv.org/

HTH

John P

Re: Where are we? [ In reply to ]
On 6/21/20 4:42 PM, John Pilkington wrote:

> Posts to the list are archived at the URL quoted here

> That is, at http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/
>
> The URL for the forum is https://forum.mythtv.org/

OK, I'll have to admit that I haven't been closely following where
MythTV discussions happen. I've been subscribed to this list for years,
but generally only active when I have a question or a particular topic
piques my interest. I do recall some discussion of creating a forum a
long time ago, but since this email list continued on I didn't see much
reason to switch over.

But now that I see the forum, I wonder if I'm in the right place. Based
on skimming subject lines, there doesn't seem to be any duplication in
content.

I can say that I personally count as an individual who is on the mailing
list, but not the forum. But what's not clear to me is which is the
*preferred* method for having MythTV "user" discussions. I could
imagine that choosing one vehicle over the other might end up in a post
seeing fewer or less-appropriate eyeballs.

Any advice?

-WD
Re: Where are we? [ In reply to ]

> OK, I'll have to admit that I haven't been closely following where
> MythTV discussions happen. I've been subscribed to this list for years,
> but generally only active when I have a question or a particular topic
> piques my interest. I do recall some discussion of creating a forum a
> long time ago, but since this email list continued on I didn't see much
> reason to switch over.
>
> But now that I see the forum, I wonder if I'm in the right place. Based
> on skimming subject lines, there doesn't seem to be any duplication in
> content.

The mailing list and the forum are separate. They don't sync with each
other. I think you decide which one you want to participate in as a matter
of personal preference. Some people prefer mailing lists, other prefer
forums.
Re: Where are we? [ In reply to ]
Hi Will!

Since I’m kind of the one who re-started the discussion from one about a
year ago I’ll try to answer one slightly confused member to another.

AFAICT the e-mailed list and the one on the website are 99% the same. I
think over the years I’ve noted a post on the website not being included
in the mailed format. Yes, at one time I knew where the website was,
then lost the information. John provided (thanks!). Just looked on the
e-mail because I don’t recall seeing it listed. (Maybe the
/http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users// site should be added
to the e-mail saying it is the repository?)

As for postings, I’m using the Ubuntu version of Thunderbird so what I
see and do may not be accurate for other mail utilities. Clicking “Reply
List” will insert the /mythtv-users@mythtv.org/
<mailto:mythtv-users@mythtv.org> address, same as if replying on the
website. Do manually update the Subject field to match the thread. Best
to copy and paste.

Before hitting that Reply List button is you highlight what you want to
quoteback will then place it in the message body. For me works for short
replies; for long ones I copy to a writing utility (LibreOffice in my
case) and compose off-line. Might explain why the formatting of my posts
is a little strange: I use a proportional font here and the list is
monospaced.

So, IMO appears the mailing list is sufficient and doing its job. The
only drawback to the mailing list is the time delay: I usually receive
mine around 0700 CTZ. I was getting antsy to get get replies to help
solve my problem, plus upload what I found out, so went looking for the
website where they are; remembered there was one, just not how to get there.

Hope that helps!

Barry
Re: Where are we? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 22, 2020, 7:51 PM Barry Martin, <barry3martin@gmail.com> wrote:

> {snip}
>
> So, IMO appears the mailing list is sufficient and doing its job. The only
> drawback to the mailing list is the time delay: I usually receive mine
> around 0700 CTZ. I was getting antsy to get get replies to help solve my
> problem, plus upload what I found out, so went looking for the website
> where they are; remembered there was one, just not how to get there.

Barry,

Just a note that there's only a delay on the list if you get the daily
digest. My preference is to get the emails as they're posted.

Sometimes I've had a problem and a helpful list member has posted the
solution before I've even finished banging my head against the desk. :-)

Re: Where are we? [ In reply to ]
>On Monday, June 22, 2020, 08:46:56 AM EDT, Will Dormann <wdormann@gmail.com> wrote:

>>On 6/21/20 4:42 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> Posts to the list are archived at the URL quoted here
>> That is, at http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/
>> The URL for the forum is https://forum.mythtv.org/

>I can say that I personally count as an individual who is on the mailing
>list, but not the forum.  But what's not clear to me is which is the
>*preferred* method for having MythTV "user" discussions.  I could
>imagine that choosing one vehicle over the other might end up in a post
>seeing fewer or less-appropriate eyeballs.

>Any advice?

Ted
Re: Where are we? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 12:09 AM TL <ted1193-mythmlist@yahoo.com> wrote:

There are advantages to both, and neither
are going to go away any time soon, nor
should they.

The general consensus conclusion is that
newcomers and people that spend all of
their time in a particular community like
forums, and experienced and competent
users like email lists. There is enough
variability with individuals that the general
consensus is wrong at least some of the
time for some of the community. And
many people participate on both the
email lists and the forum.
Re: Where are we? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 00:51, Barry Martin <barry3martin@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Maybe the *http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/*
> <http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/> site should be added to
> the e-mail saying it is the repository?)

The archive link could be added to the standard list footer, but the footer
already contains a link to: