I use DHCP, do I need a static ip address ?

bye

Klaus
Re: frontend address [ In reply to ]
I assume the DHCP server is your wireless router?  You can probably
configure it to be a name server and/or assign address reservations
which simulates a static IP by issuing the same IP to a host every time
(uses the MAC address of the host).  If you can make it a name server
you can use the hostname.  If you use reservations you can use the IP.
Maybe read the router's manual?

Dave D.

Re: frontend address [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 20:14:09 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I installed the Android application "Remote for MythTV" for remote
>control of MythTV. It asks me for the MythTV frontend address.
>
>I tried 127.0.0.1 and the external address, given by "ifconfig -a". But
>for both, the application cannot find it.
>
>How to find the correct address ?
>
>I use DHCP, do I need a static ip address ?

Have you enabled the remote control port on mythfrontend?

mythfrontend > Setup > General > Remote Control > Enable Network
Remote Control Interface
Re: frontend address [ In reply to ]
Le 12/06/2020 à 20:42, Stephen Worthington a écrit :
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 20:14:09 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed the Android application "Remote for MythTV" for remote
>> control of MythTV. It asks me for the MythTV frontend address.
>>
>> I tried 127.0.0.1 and the external address, given by "ifconfig -a". But
>> for both, the application cannot find it.
>>
>> How to find the correct address ?
>>
>> I use DHCP, do I need a static ip address ?
>
> Have you enabled the remote control port on mythfrontend?
>
> mythfrontend > Setup > General > Remote Control > Enable Network
> Remote Control Interface

Hi again,

I enabled remote control port on mythfrontend, but I did not think about
a very basic condition: I use a desktop computer without wireless card,
so it cannot work. Right?

I shall try again with a laptop with wireless card.

Or can it work with the external ip address when the smartphone is
connected to pc by cable ? I shall try anyway.

Klaus
Re: frontend address [ In reply to ]
On 6/12/20 3:11 PM, Klaus Becker wrote:

> Le 12/06/2020 à 20:42, Stephen Worthington a écrit :
>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 20:14:09 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed the Android application "Remote for MythTV" for remote
>>> control of MythTV. It asks me for the MythTV frontend address.
>>>
>>> I tried 127.0.0.1 and the external address, given by "ifconfig -a". But
>>> for both, the application cannot find it.
>>>
>>> How to find the correct address ?
>>>
>>> I use DHCP, do I need a static ip address ?
>>
>> Have you enabled the remote control port on mythfrontend?
>>
>> mythfrontend > Setup > General > Remote Control > Enable Network
>> Remote Control Interface
>
> Hi again,
>
> I enabled remote control port on mythfrontend, but I did not think
> about a very basic condition: I use a desktop computer without
> wireless card, so it cannot work. Right?
>
> I shall try again with a laptop with wireless card.
>
> Or can it work with the external ip address when the smartphone is
> connected to pc by cable ? I shall try anyway.
>
> Klaus

If your wireless is on the same network as your wired, your computer
should work just fine unless you've made a more complicated home
network.  Opensuse no longer uses ifconfig, so I can't check to make
sure you are pointing at the right address. It start with something like
"192.168."

You should also check to make sure the firewall is off your mythfrontend
machine, or poke a hole in it so it can accept connections from your
internal network for the port the remote uses.

Jeremy

Re: frontend address [ In reply to ]
Klaus Becker <colonius47@gmail.com> wrote:

> I enabled remote control port on mythfrontend, but I did not think about a very basic condition: I use a desktop computer without wireless card, so it cannot work. Right?

For the vast majority of home networks, it should make no difference whether a device is wired or wireless - it's the same network.

From a command line, "ip addr" will list the IP addresses on all interfaces.

Simon

Re: frontend address [ In reply to ]
UNSUBSCRIBE

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> I enabled remote control port on mythfrontend, but I did not think about a very basic condition: I use a desktop computer without wireless card, so it cannot work. Right?

For the vast majority of home networks, it should make no difference whether a device is wired or wireless - it's the same network.

From a command line, "ip addr" will list the IP addresses on all interfaces.

Simon