Mailing List Archive

Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC
I just picked up a new PC from Dell and it of course has Windows 10. I
know Mythfrontend doesn't work on Win10 but thought about using the ASX
Streaming on the mythweb recording tab. The default player on Windows
can't deal with the ASX file.

So my question is, is ASX the best way to play MPEG2 mythtv recordings
on a Windows 10 PC?

I have Kodi with kodi-pvr-mythtv working but looking for the best way.

mythweb works for controlling recordings just fine on any browser.

Does running Ubuntu in Virtualbox have enough horsepower? Does vlc work?

BTW, the PC is a 10th gen Core i7 with Nvidia GFX as well as internal.

Any advice?

Jim A

Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 06:28:33 -0400, you wrote:

>I just picked up a new PC from Dell and it of course has Windows 10. I
>know Mythfrontend doesn't work on Win10 but thought about using the ASX
>Streaming on the mythweb recording tab. The default player on Windows
>can't deal with the ASX file.
>
>So my question is, is ASX the best way to play MPEG2 mythtv recordings
>on a Windows 10 PC?
>
>I have Kodi with kodi-pvr-mythtv working but looking for the best way.
>
>mythweb works for controlling recordings just fine on any browser.
>
>Does running Ubuntu in Virtualbox have enough horsepower? Does vlc work?
>
>BTW, the PC is a 10th gen Core i7 with Nvidia GFX as well as internal.
>
>Any advice?
>
>Jim A

With a new PC, a VirtualBox mythfrontend will work, but only for SD
recordings unless you have a really powerful PC. The VirtualBox video
drivers do not support accelerated display modes such as VDPAU.

One way of playing files that works well is to set up SAMBA on the
MythTV box and use VLC from the Windows box to just play the files
from their recording directory. The (big!) downside of that is that
you have to find the filename you want by looking up the database or
using the II command from mythfrontend, then you have to search the
storage groups to find which directory the file is actually in.

You can use Mythlink:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl

to get around the worst of that by creating a directory on the MythTV
box that contains links to all the recordings giving them recognisable
names.

You could also try installing a video player on Windows that supports
ASX and making it the default player.
Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
Le 07/06/2020 à 12:41, Stephen Worthington a écrit :
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 06:28:33 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I just picked up a new PC from Dell and it of course has Windows 10. I
>> know Mythfrontend doesn't work on Win10 but thought about using the ASX
>> Streaming on the mythweb recording tab. The default player on Windows
>> can't deal with the ASX file.
>>
>> So my question is, is ASX the best way to play MPEG2 mythtv recordings
>> on a Windows 10 PC?
>>
>> I have Kodi with kodi-pvr-mythtv working but looking for the best way.
>>
>> mythweb works for controlling recordings just fine on any browser.
>>
>> Does running Ubuntu in Virtualbox have enough horsepower? Does vlc work?
>>
>> BTW, the PC is a 10th gen Core i7 with Nvidia GFX as well as internal.
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Jim A

Hi,

why not install GNU/Linux on your new pc ?

Klaus
Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 7:12 AM Klaus Becker <colonius47@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 07/06/2020 à 12:41, Stephen Worthington a écrit :
> > On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 06:28:33 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >> I just picked up a new PC from Dell and it of course has Windows 10. I
> >> know Mythfrontend doesn't work on Win10 but thought about using the ASX
> >> Streaming on the mythweb recording tab. The default player on Windows
> >> can't deal with the ASX file.
> >>
> >> So my question is, is ASX the best way to play MPEG2 mythtv recordings
> >> on a Windows 10 PC?
> >>
> >> I have Kodi with kodi-pvr-mythtv working but looking for the best way.
> >>
> >> mythweb works for controlling recordings just fine on any browser.
> >>
> >> Does running Ubuntu in Virtualbox have enough horsepower? Does vlc work?
> >>
> >> BTW, the PC is a 10th gen Core i7 with Nvidia GFX as well as internal.
> >>
> >> Any advice?
> >>
> >> Jim A
>

> Hi,
>
> why not install GNU/Linux on your new pc ?
>
> Klaus

Unfortunately, I'm locked into software that only runs on either Mac or
Windows, but my goal is to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. I think I have an
empty SSD slot inside the laptop, so that might be the way to do it. My
Macs are too old but who can afford new Apple hardware. So the Dell will
satisfy my needs but I have some desires that I'd like to add. When I
travel I need to work on the road including managing mythtv.

Kodi serves as a decent player. But mythfrontend is the best. I guess dual
boot will happen sooner than later.

Jim A
Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 5:54 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Unfortunately, I'm locked into software that only runs on either Mac or
> Windows, but my goal is to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. I think I have an
> empty SSD slot inside the laptop, so that might be the way to do it. My
> Macs are too old but who can afford new Apple hardware. So the Dell will
> satisfy my needs but I have some desires that I'd like to add. When I
> travel I need to work on the road including managing mythtv.
>
> At the risk of digressing this conversation further, I am curious as to
what software this is?
Games, are the most common, and one I cannot entirely disagree with.

But other productivity software, I would contend could be run from a
virtual machine, within linux, interacting with the same Windows partition
you currently use on bare metal.

And once you consider that funky/whacky scenario, have you considered
looking into the Windows Subsystem for Linux, and just putting Ubuntu
inside of windows?

YMMV, but it might be an interesting dive into a rabbit hole of learning :)

Mike
Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 5:42 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 06:28:33 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I just picked up a new PC from Dell and it of course has Windows 10. I
> >know Mythfrontend doesn't work on Win10 but thought about using the ASX
> >Streaming on the mythweb recording tab. The default player on Windows
> >can't deal with the ASX file.
> >
> >So my question is, is ASX the best way to play MPEG2 mythtv recordings
> >on a Windows 10 PC?
> >
> >I have Kodi with kodi-pvr-mythtv working but looking for the best way.
>
> One way of playing files that works well is to set up SAMBA on the
> MythTV box and use VLC from the Windows box to just play the files
> from their recording directory. The (big!) downside of that is that
> you have to find the filename you want by looking up the database or
> using the II command from mythfrontend, then you have to search the
> storage groups to find which directory the file is actually in.
>
> You can use Mythlink:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl
>
> to get around the worst of that by creating a directory on the MythTV
> box that contains links to all the recordings giving them recognisable
> names.

I use mythlink to create names suitable for Plex. I actually don't use my
frontend much anymore on any computer. The Plex app for Roku works so well
it's basically my new frontend.

Works on any computer with a browser and they have apps for iOS, Android,
Roku, Fire OS (Kindle), etc.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 8:08 AM Mike Hodson <mystica@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 5:54 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately, I'm locked into software that only runs on either Mac or
>> Windows, but my goal is to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. I think I have an
>> empty SSD slot inside the laptop, so that might be the way to do it. My
>> Macs are too old but who can afford new Apple hardware. So the Dell will
>> satisfy my needs but I have some desires that I'd like to add. When I
>> travel I need to work on the road including managing mythtv.
>>
>> At the risk of digressing this conversation further, I am curious as to
> what software this is?
> Games, are the most common, and one I cannot entirely disagree with.
>
> But other productivity software, I would contend could be run from a
> virtual machine, within linux, interacting with the same Windows partition
> you currently use on bare metal.
>
> And once you consider that funky/whacky scenario, have you considered
> looking into the Windows Subsystem for Linux, and just putting Ubuntu
> inside of windows?
>
> YMMV, but it might be an interesting dive into a rabbit hole of learning :)
>
> Mike

It's been about 6 years since I moved from Windows 8 to a mixture of Macs
and PCs with Ubuntu. On Macs I can run my TurboTax and my wife's recipe
programs. Everything else works on any OS like music and photos.

However, my macs are too old to upgrade the OS and TurboTax will not
produce a 2020 version that works with my OS X. So on Windows I can use
TurboTax and Mastercook recipe software.

Both my wife and I mainly use Ubuntu for all normal stuff and I have even
found a home finance program to replace Quickens called Homebank. There is
a Windows and Linux version of that as well.

If there were a good Linux recipe program that could import either
MacGourmet files or Mastercook files I'd still be completely on Linux. The
problem is, if you order a Dell PC with Ubuntu there is no support.
However, a Dell PC with Windows is cheaper for some reason and I get 4
years of premium support and accidental damage insurance. Since I was
getting one of their premium XPS systems I could get 4 years instead of
their included support for $100.

So dual boot may be the best way to go for now.
Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 at 11:42, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> You could also try installing a video player on Windows that supports
> ASX and making it the default player.

If the OP was happy with the initial idea of streaming via ASX from
MythWeb, then this would be the simplest solution, I would have thought.
You wouldn't even even have to make it the default player, just associate
ASX with the replacement player. I'd be thinking about installing VLC and
testing the ASX stream from MythWeb with that. If it works and the OP is
happy with the solution, it's job done.

--
Cheers, Ian
Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
> On 7 Jun 2020, at 6:28 pm, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just picked up a new PC from Dell and it of course has Windows 10. I know Mythfrontend doesn't work on Win10 but thought about using the ASX Streaming on the mythweb recording tab. The default player on Windows can't deal with the ASX file.
>
> So my question is, is ASX the best way to play MPEG2 mythtv recordings on a Windows 10 PC?
>
> I have Kodi with kodi-pvr-mythtv working but looking for the best way.
>
> mythweb works for controlling recordings just fine on any browser.
>
> Does running Ubuntu in Virtualbox have enough horsepower? Does vlc work?
>
> BTW, the PC is a 10th gen Core i7 with Nvidia GFX as well as internal.
>
> Any advice?

You asked for opinions:

I would not, for 1 second, consider keeping Win10 over your selection of linux

There are painful but good reasons for keeping osx on a macbook. Here a VM running mythtv is (except for a small delay) pretty much normal. I use parallels and Virtual Box.

James

PS painful reasons include keyboard, mouse, wifi, bluetooth sound don’t work. Apple, for their many faults, do make the trackpad work nicely
Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
> On 7 Jun 2020, at 7:53 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, I'm locked into software that only runs on either Mac or Windows, but my goal is to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. I think I have an empty SSD slot inside the laptop, so that might be the way to do it. My Macs are too old but who can afford new Apple hardware. So the Dell will satisfy my needs but I have some desires that I'd like to add. When I travel I need to work on the road including managing mythtv.
>
> Kodi serves as a decent player. But mythfrontend is the best. I guess dual boot will happen sooner than later.

Why not run win10 in a VM

James
Re: Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC [ In reply to ]
What about WSL will we soon be able to run mythfrontend here?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-linux-gui-apps-coming-to-windows-10-wsl-along-with-gpu-access/

Cheers,

Anthony