Mailing List Archive

install 31
Hi All
since, for me, the easy way is failing I decided to heed advice and install ubuntu. What a hard time …

I installed xubuntu 20.04
i installed
# apt-get install mythtv-backend-master
choose “other machines";
it does not and cannot work
my.conf
bind-address=127.0.0.1

I installed xubuntu 20.04
# apt-get install mythtv
choose “local host only”
data base does not login so myth does not work

mysql> select User,Host from user;
+------------------+-----------+
| User | Host |
+------------------+-----------+
| mythtv | % |
| debian-sys-maint | localhost |
| mysql.infoschema | localhost |
| mysql.session | localhost |
| mysql.sys | localhost |
| root | localhost |
+------------------+—————+

So

How do you folk install 31

James

Re: install 31 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 12:06:12 +0800, you wrote:

>Hi All
>since, for me, the easy way is failing I decided to heed advice and install ubuntu. What a hard time ?
>
>I installed xubuntu 20.04
>i installed
># apt-get install mythtv-backend-master
> choose ?other machines";
> it does not and cannot work
> my.conf
> bind-address=127.0.0.1
>
>I installed xubuntu 20.04
># apt-get install mythtv
> choose ?local host only?
> data base does not login so myth does not work
>
>mysql> select User,Host from user;
>+------------------+-----------+
>| User | Host |
>+------------------+-----------+
>| mythtv | % |
>| debian-sys-maint | localhost |
>| mysql.infoschema | localhost |
>| mysql.session | localhost |
>| mysql.sys | localhost |
>| root | localhost |
>+------------------+?????+
>

>So
>
>How do you folk install 31
>
>James

When I installed v31 on a new Ubuntu 20.04 virtual machine, I had no
problems. All I did was to install the main MythTV package that
installs everything:

apt install mythtv

That sets up a combined frontend/backend box. If you install only the
mythtv-backend-master packages, that should work too. I am not sure
if I selected the option to allow access from other machines for my
install, but I only had MariaDB binding to 127.0.0.1 when I looked
now. To fix that, do:

sudo nano /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf

Remove the # on the bind-address line so that it looks like this:

root@vb-Ubuntu-20:/etc/mysql/conf.d# cat mythtv.cnf
[mysqld]
bind-address=::
max_connections=100

With a MySQL database, that may be sufficient. I am using MariaDB, so
I had to also comment out the original bind-address line in another
config file. For MySQL, it will not be in the same place so do these
commands to find it:

cd /etc/mysql
grep -ir bind-address *

then use "sudo nano" to edit the file you find and add a # character
to the start of the bind-address=127.0.0.1 line. Then restart the
database:

sudo systemctl restart mysql

After that, netstat should show mysqld listening on 3306 like this:

stephen@vb-Ubuntu-20:~$ sudo netstat -nap | grep mysql
[sudo] password for stephen:
tcp6 0 0 :::3306 :::* LISTEN
3343/mysqld
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 55023 3343/mysqld
/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 56122 3343/mysqld
/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 56173 3343/mysqld
/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 62065 3343/mysqld
/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

Then make sure that mythbackend has the setting that makes it bind to
the PC's external IP address rather than 127.0.0.1. That is in
mythtv-setup > 1. General > Host Address Backend Setup > Primary IP
Address / DNS Name.

If you use the option to allow access to other machines, then you will
almost certainly need to make the systemd adjustments that make
mythbackend start up only after the network is actually up. The
packages do not install this, even when you select the option for
access from other machines. Do the bind-address fix, check
mythtv-setup then reboot. If mythbackend is still not accessible,
then try this:

sudo systemctl restart mythtv-backend

If that makes mythbackend accessible from other machines, then you
need to do the systemd fix. And even if you seem to not need this
fix, I would recommend doing it anyway, as the race condition is quite
variable and the conditions that trigger it can change from one boot
to the next. See this thread for how to do it:

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/625987
Re: install 31 [ In reply to ]
Stephen thank you for such detailed instructtions
James