Help

Regards

David Maher
Re: Mythconverg corrupt [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 10:21:07 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi, I have a corrupt, but useable mythconverg database. For the last few months the backup has been failing, causing mysql and mythbackend to stop. Instead of just restoring a backup of the database when the problem 1st occured, I found that restarting the mysql server and mythbackend worked around the problem.
>
>This became a routine before using myth and wasn't really an issue until a new version of mysql came along. When trying to install the upgrade to mysql, it fails when running queries against the mythconverg database.
>
>Oh no, now I have many recordings that I don't want to lose the info for, no backup of mythconverg and no way to upgrade the mysql server. I have engaged in the requisite number of self recriminations, I used to professionally support enterprise servers, so I am aware of the consequences of not having good backups etc.
>
>Of course I also knew that this would never happen to me.....
>

>Help
>

>Regards
>
>David Maher

So what have you done to try to repair mythconverg? Which tables are
corrupt? What is the optimize_mythdb script reporting? How much
spare space do you have on the database partition? Is it enough so
that the repair process can make a complete copy of the largest table
(recordedseek) and its indexes? If there is insufficient space, the
repair process will fail. Are there left behind files from repair
attempts that need to be cleaned up before another repair can succeed?

Recordedseek is the table that gets corrupted most often as it is
always being written to during recordings and hence when the PC
crashes (eg due to a power cut), it is the table most likely to be in
the middle of being written to. It is usually recoverable if this is
done soon - before other corruption happens after the initial problem.
But if it is not repairable, MythTV has a way of re-creating it if
necessary. See the "mythutil --checkrecordings" and "mythutil
--checkrecordings --fixseektable" commands.

The backup process done by mythconverg_backup.pl is per database
table. If one table is unable to be backed up, I am not sure if that
table is skipped and the subsequent tables do get backed up - I
suspect not. But it is possible to manually back up all the
non-corrupt tables, should that be necessary.

Also, is this an Ubuntu system? What version? What version is
MythTV?