Mailing List Archive

Problems with mariadb segfaults in latest ubuntu and maybe other distros
The latest mysql client library causes segfaults when a process using
mariadb exits. See bug reports:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504

There does not seem to be any fix coming soon, based on comments in the
bug reports. The bug reports imply that mysql should change their
package to conform to mariadb. That is not likely to happen.

If upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 make sure you are using mysql not mariadb,
or else downgrade package libmysqlclient21 to the older version.

Steps to Switch from mariadb to mysql:
close mythbackend
backup database
sudo apt purge mariadb-common
sudo apt install mysql-server
set up user ids
run restore.

Peter
Re: Problems with mariadb segfaults in latest ubuntu and maybe other distros [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 10:16 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> The latest mysql client library causes segfaults when a process using
> mariadb exits. See bug reports:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504
>
> There does not seem to be any fix coming soon, based on comments in the
> bug reports. The bug reports imply that mysql should change their
> package to conform to mariadb. That is not likely to happen.
>
> If upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 make sure you are using mysql not mariadb,
> or else downgrade package libmysqlclient21 to the older version.

I'm not sure what the package availability is on Ubuntu, but on Fedora we
no longer use the mysql client, but use the mariadb one which provides the
same capability:

$ dnf --repoid=rawhide repoquery --provides mariadb-connector-c
libmariadb.so.3
libmariadb.so.3()(64bit)
libmariadb.so.3(libmariadb_3)
libmariadb.so.3(libmariadb_3)(64bit)
libmariadb.so.3(libmariadbclient_18)
libmariadb.so.3(libmariadbclient_18)(64bit)
libmariadb.so.3(libmysqlclient_18)
libmariadb.so.3(libmysqlclient_18)(64bit)
mariadb-connector-c = 3.1.8-1.fc33
mariadb-connector-c(x86-32) = 3.1.8-1.fc33
mariadb-connector-c(x86-64) = 3.1.8-1.fc33

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Problems with mariadb segfaults in latest ubuntu and maybe other distros [ In reply to ]
On 6/1/20 12:00 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 10:16 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com
> <mailto:pb.mythtv@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> The latest mysql client library causes segfaults when a process using
> mariadb exits. See bug reports:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504
>
> There does not seem to be any fix coming soon, based on comments
> in the
> bug reports. The bug reports imply that mysql should change their
> package to conform to mariadb. That is not likely to happen.
>
> If upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 make sure you are using mysql not
> mariadb,
> or else downgrade package libmysqlclient21 to the older version.
>

> I'm not sure what the package availability is on Ubuntu, but on Fedora
> we no longer use the mysql client, but use the mariadb one which
> provides the same capability:
>
> $ dnf --repoid=rawhide repoquery --provides mariadb-connector-c
> libmariadb.so.3
> libmariadb.so.3()(64bit)
> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadb_3)
> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadb_3)(64bit)
> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadbclient_18)
> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadbclient_18)(64bit)
> libmariadb.so.3(libmysqlclient_18)
> libmariadb.so.3(libmysqlclient_18)(64bit)
> mariadb-connector-c = 3.1.8-1.fc33
> mariadb-connector-c(x86-32) = 3.1.8-1.fc33
> mariadb-connector-c(x86-64) = 3.1.8-1.fc33
> Thanks,
> Richard

Opensuse Tumbleweed and 15.1 also use the mariadb one, I've seen no issues.
Re: Problems with mariadb segfaults in latest ubuntu and maybe other distros [ In reply to ]
On 6/1/20 1:08 PM, Jeremy D. Eiden wrote:

> On 6/1/20 12:00 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 10:16 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com
>> <mailto:pb.mythtv@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>> The latest mysql client library causes segfaults when a process
>> using
>> mariadb exits. See bug reports:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=961672
>>
>> There does not seem to be any fix coming soon, based on comments
>> in the
>> bug reports. The bug reports imply that mysql should change their
>> package to conform to mariadb. That is not likely to happen.
>>
>> If upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 make sure you are using mysql not
>> mariadb,
>> or else downgrade package libmysqlclient21 to the older version.
>>

>> I'm not sure what the package availability is on Ubuntu, but on
>> Fedora we no longer use the mysql client, but use the mariadb one
>> which provides the same capability:
>>
>> $ dnf --repoid=rawhide repoquery --provides mariadb-connector-c
>> libmariadb.so.3
>> libmariadb.so.3()(64bit)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadb_3)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadb_3)(64bit)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadbclient_18)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadbclient_18)(64bit)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmysqlclient_18)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmysqlclient_18)(64bit)
>> mariadb-connector-c = 3.1.8-1.fc33
>> mariadb-connector-c(x86-32) = 3.1.8-1.fc33
>> mariadb-connector-c(x86-64) = 3.1.8-1.fc33
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>>

> Opensuse Tumbleweed and 15.1 also use the mariadb one, I've seen no
> issues.

This may be a solution. I have not investigated it. MythTV may have to
be rebuilt using the mariadb lib?

The default Ubuntu install uses mysql. Only those who have manually
installed mariadb would be affected by this issue.
Re: Problems with mariadb segfaults in latest ubuntu and maybe other distros [ In reply to ]
> On 6/1/20 12:00 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 10:16 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com <mailto:pb.mythtv@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> The latest mysql client library causes segfaults when a process using
>> mariadb exits. See bug reports:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=961672 <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=961672>
>>
>> There does not seem to be any fix coming soon, based on comments in the
>> bug reports. The bug reports imply that mysql should change their
>> package to conform to mariadb. That is not likely to happen.
>>
>> If upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 make sure you are using mysql not mariadb,
>> or else downgrade package libmysqlclient21 to the older version.
>>
>> I'm not sure what the package availability is on Ubuntu, but on Fedora we no longer use the mysql client, but use the mariadb one which provides the same capability:
>>
>> $ dnf --repoid=rawhide repoquery --provides mariadb-connector-c
>> libmariadb.so.3
>> libmariadb.so.3()(64bit)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadb_3)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadb_3)(64bit)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadbclient_18)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmariadbclient_18)(64bit)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmysqlclient_18)
>> libmariadb.so.3(libmysqlclient_18)(64bit)
>> mariadb-connector-c = 3.1.8-1.fc33
>> mariadb-connector-c(x86-32) = 3.1.8-1.fc33
>> mariadb-connector-c(x86-64) = 3.1.8-1.fc33
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard

I use the MariaDB repository (albeit on 18.04) and that contains libmariadbclient18 library. Maybe the answer is to use the MariaDB repository for Ubuntu and not use Ubuntu’s? It also has newer version available too.

Regards
Paul

The data contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information. If you have received it in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the message from your system. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.
Re: Problems with mariadb segfaults in latest ubuntu and maybe other distros [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 3:06 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> This may be a solution. I have not investigated it. MythTV may have to be rebuilt using the mariadb lib?

It *should* not need to be, as MythTV calls the Qt
libraries for access to the database(s). On the
other hand, I suspect you will need to rebuild Qt
as I would expect that the Qt mysql db plugin
libqt5sql5-mysql is built against the mysql
client libraries.
Re: Problems with mariadb segfaults in latest ubuntu and maybe other distros [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2020-06-02 at 18:34 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 3:06 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This may be a solution. I have not investigated it. MythTV may have
> to be rebuilt using the mariadb lib?
>
> It *should* not need to be, as MythTV calls the Qt
> libraries for access to the database(s). On the
> other hand, I suspect you will need to rebuild Qt
> as I would expect that the Qt mysql db plugin
> libqt5sql5-mysql is built against the mysql
> client libraries.

Maybe it would be enough for the distro to build the mysql plugin twice
to produce libqsqlmysql.so and libqsqlmariadb.so each built against the
correct respective client library?

Ian.