Mailing List Archive

Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora
Hi,

Today I tried to upgrade my Fedora 30 Media PC to Fedora 31. However for
reasons I don't understand the transaction test fails due to:
"
Error: Transaction test error:
  file /usr/lib64/libmythavutil.so.56 conflicts between attempted
installs of mythtv-libs-30.0-12.20190904git5cde0578d8.fc31.x86_64 and
mythffmpeg-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64
"

Why do two different packages supply the same file?

Anyway, I've tried removing either of the two packages (rpm -e <package>
--nodeps) but the upgrade still fails due to that error.  For some
reason Fedora keeps wanting to install mythtv-libs-30 not mythtv-libs-31

Can anyone please help me unpick this problem?

Thanks very much in advance!

Jake

Re: Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora [ In reply to ]
On 31/5/20 4:51 pm, Jake wrote:

> Today I tried to upgrade my Fedora 30 Media PC to Fedora 31. However
> for reasons I don't understand the transaction test fails due to:
> "
> Error: Transaction test error:
>   file /usr/lib64/libmythavutil.so.56 conflicts between attempted
> installs of mythtv-libs-30.0-12.20190904git5cde0578d8.fc31.x86_64 and
> mythffmpeg-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64
> "
>
> Why do two different packages supply the same file?
>
> Anyway, I've tried removing either of the two packages (rpm -e
> <package> --nodeps) but the upgrade still fails due to that error.
> For some reason Fedora keeps wanting to install mythtv-libs-30 not
> mythtv-libs-31

I've managed to get through the 'dnf system-upgrade download' step by
forcibly excluding 'mythffmpeg-31*' but I'm not feeling confident about
doing the upgrade!  Any advice please?

Also why is the one library coming from two packages - that seems like
something which could cause problems again in future.

Full command which worked: 'sudo dnf system-upgrade download
--releasever=31 --exclude mythffmpeg-31*'

Jake

Re: Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora [ In reply to ]
On 31-05-2020 09:11, Jake wrote:
> I've managed to get through the 'dnf system-upgrade download' step by
> forcibly excluding 'mythffmpeg-31*' but I'm not feeling confident about
> doing the upgrade!  Any advice please?

Install mythtv-libs-31.0-1.

Kind regards,
Udo
Re: Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora [ In reply to ]
On 31/5/20 5:18 pm, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Install mythtv-libs-31.0-1.
>
> Kind regards,
> Udo

Thanks, but that does not appear to be possible.  There doesn't seem to
be a mythtv-libs-31.0-1 package in the Fedora 30 repos. I've also
upgraded everything possible before attempting the OS release version
upgrade.

I'm in this odd state of having the upgrade process choose some packages
from the Fedora 31 repos.  I don't fully understand what the transaction
test is doing here.

Thanks,

Jake

Re: Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora [ In reply to ]
Re-sending to list:

On 31/05/2020 10:04, Jake wrote:
> On 31/5/20 6:11 pm, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> Thanks, but that does not appear to be possible.  There doesn't seem
>>> to be a mythtv-libs-31.0-1 package in the Fedora 30 repos. I've also
>>> upgraded everything possible before attempting the OS release version
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>>> I'm in this odd state of having the upgrade process choose some
>>> packages from the Fedora 31 repos.  I don't fully understand what the
>>> transaction test is doing here.
>>
>> A new build, mythtv-31.0-3.20200527gitfc90482281.fc31, has been pushed
>> to the rpmfusion-testing repos for fc31 and fc32.  Try that.
>>
> Thanks very much John!
>
> If I add the rpmfusion-testing repo for Fedora 30 this should include
> the same repo for fedora 31 and so get your new package. That's right
> isn't it?

I'm afraid I hadn't noticed that you are still with fc30, and there
probably won't be any more updates there. It might be best to uninstall
the mythtv packages, upgrade to fc31, and then reinstall mythtv from
fc31 testing. Or maybe just wait a few days? There have been a few
posts on the rpmfusion list about this, but the main result has been
building the new packages (by Richard, not me).

The fc30 -> fc31 upgrade itself seems to have gone well for me;
apparently complex but amazingly smooth - but somehow my net address got
changed and my homebuilt mythtv frontend (current master) couldn't find
the DB. Still not quite back to normal, but ::1 seems to work...

Re: Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 1:52 AM Jake <mythmail@runbox.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I tried to upgrade my Fedora 30 Media PC to Fedora 31. However for
> reasons I don't understand the transaction test fails due to:
> "
> Error: Transaction test error:
> file /usr/lib64/libmythavutil.so.56 conflicts between attempted
> installs of mythtv-libs-30.0-12.20190904git5cde0578d8.fc31.x86_64 and
> mythffmpeg-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64
> "

Updates are in testing. You can wait until they hit stable or you can try
enabling the testing repos during the upgrade, just be careful, other
packages from testing could potentially be pulled into the update.

Why do two different packages supply the same file?

Oversight. Usually rpmbuild does a good job of letting you know when you've
accidentally packaged a file twice, but it didn't catch this one. I'm not
sure when it got added though. I had no issues upgrading back when f31 was
first released.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora [ In reply to ]
On 31/05/2020 10:43, John Pilkington wrote:
> Re-sending to list:

>>> A new build, mythtv-31.0-3.20200527gitfc90482281.fc31, has been
>>> pushed to the rpmfusion-testing repos for fc31 and fc32.  Try that.
>>>
>> Thanks very much John!
>>
>> If I add the rpmfusion-testing repo for Fedora 30 this should include
>> the same repo for fedora 31 and so get your new package. That's right
>> isn't it?
>
> I'm afraid I hadn't noticed that you are still with fc30, and there
> probably won't be any more updates there.  It might be best to uninstall
> the mythtv packages, upgrade to fc31, and then reinstall mythtv from
> fc31 testing.  Or maybe just wait a few days?  There have been a few
> posts on the rpmfusion list about this, but the main result has been
> building the new packages (by Richard, not me).
>
> The fc30 -> fc31 upgrade itself seems to have gone well for me;
> apparently complex but amazingly smooth - but somehow my net address got
> changed and my homebuilt mythtv frontend (current master) couldn't find
> the DB.  Still not quite back to normal, but ::1 seems to work...

If you don't want to wait, you could probably upgrade a fully updated
Fedora 30 system using --allowerasing and --skip-broken, ignoring any
complaints about MythTV. Then, with a Fedora 31 system that boots
reliably, enable rpmfusion-testing and update MythTV. But YMMV...

Re: Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora [ In reply to ]
On 31/5/20 5:11 pm, Jake wrote:
> On 31/5/20 4:51 pm, Jake wrote:
>>
>> Today I tried to upgrade my Fedora 30 Media PC to Fedora 31. However
>> for reasons I don't understand the transaction test fails due to:
>> "
>> Error: Transaction test error:
>>   file /usr/lib64/libmythavutil.so.56 conflicts between attempted
>> installs of mythtv-libs-30.0-12.20190904git5cde0578d8.fc31.x86_64 and
>> mythffmpeg-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64
>> "
>>
>> Why do two different packages supply the same file?
>>
>> Anyway, I've tried removing either of the two packages (rpm -e
>> <package> --nodeps) but the upgrade still fails due to that error.
>> For some reason Fedora keeps wanting to install mythtv-libs-30 not
>> mythtv-libs-31
>>

> I've managed to get through the 'dnf system-upgrade download' step by
> forcibly excluding 'mythffmpeg-31*' but I'm not feeling confident
> about doing the upgrade!  Any advice please?
>
> Full command which worked: 'sudo dnf system-upgrade download
> --releasever=31 --exclude mythffmpeg-31*'

Thank you to everyone who replied!

In the end I took a risk and did the 30 to 31 upgrade while excluding
the mythffmpeg-31* package.  Fedora upgraded without issue and MythTV
works afterwards, perhaps because there was another valid package to
supply the missing library?

Immediately after upgrading there were these packages available:

    Upgrade python3-future-0.18.2-2.fc31.noarch @updates
    Upgrade mytharchive-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
    Upgrade mythffmpeg-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
    Upgrade mythtv-backend-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
    Upgrade mythtv-base-themes-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
    Upgrade mythtv-common-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
    Upgrade mythtv-frontend-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
    Upgrade mythtv-libs-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
    Upgrade mythtv-setup-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64 @rpmfusion-free-updates
    Upgrade python3-MythTV-31.0-1.fc31.noarch @rpmfusion-free-updates

which I installed.  I imagine these extra packages weren't installed in
the upgrade due to my use of the exclusion option.

Everything seems to have worked and I didn't need to use the test
versions of packages which were produced (thanks for that!).

My lesson from this is: Upgrade to the supported version of Fedora no
later than when two releases are available.  Fedora technically supports
3 versions at once (I think for around month after every new release)
but don't leave it that long!

Thanks again!

Jake

Re: Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora [ In reply to ]
On 5/31/20 12:31 PM, John Pilkington wrote:

> If you don't want to wait, you could probably upgrade a fully updated
> Fedora 30 system using --allowerasing and --skip-broken, ignoring any
> complaints about MythTV.  Then, with a Fedora 31 system that boots
> reliably, enable rpmfusion-testing and update MythTV.  But YMMV...

Update: I'd been experiencing the same issue as the original poster:

Error: Transaction test error:
  file /usr/lib64/libmythavutil.so.56 conflicts between attempted
installs of mythtv-libs-30.0-12.20190904git5cde0578d8.fc31.x86_64 and
mythffmpeg-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64

Today I made another attempt to run dnf system-upgrade download
--refresh --releasever=31...it failed with the same error. Then I
discovered that it was pulling mythffmpeg from rpmfusion-free-updates
versus rpmfusion-free for all other myth* packages. I disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates and ran dnf system-upgrade...success!

New issue, though: all recordings I've tried playing back with
mythfrontend play at something like double speed with no audio. Never
seen that one before...

Dave
Re: Conflict between mythtv-libs and mythffmpeg packages on Fedora [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 15:05:51 -0500, you wrote:

>On 5/31/20 12:31 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>
>> If you don't want to wait, you could probably upgrade a fully updated
>> Fedora 30 system using --allowerasing and --skip-broken, ignoring any
>> complaints about MythTV.? Then, with a Fedora 31 system that boots
>> reliably, enable rpmfusion-testing and update MythTV.? But YMMV...
>
>Update: I'd been experiencing the same issue as the original poster:
>
>Error: Transaction test error:
> ? file /usr/lib64/libmythavutil.so.56 conflicts between attempted
>installs of mythtv-libs-30.0-12.20190904git5cde0578d8.fc31.x86_64 and
>mythffmpeg-31.0-1.fc31.x86_64
>
>Today I made another attempt to run dnf system-upgrade download
>--refresh --releasever=31...it failed with the same error. Then I
>discovered that it was pulling mythffmpeg from rpmfusion-free-updates
>versus rpmfusion-free for all other myth* packages. I disabled
>rpmfusion-free-updates and ran dnf system-upgrade...success!
>
>New issue, though: all recordings I've tried playing back with
>mythfrontend play at something like double speed with no audio. Never
>seen that one before...
>
>Dave

There has been a major update to the rendering code in v31 - maybe you
need to change the settings to something that is supported in this
version if the exact way you were doing it has gone away.