doing wrong?

filename: 'A Simple Plan 1998.mkv'
metadata lookup:
2020-05-22 10:48:26.979709 I Running Grabber:
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py -l en -a US -M A Simple Plan 1998
2020-05-22 10:48:31.220878 I Running Grabber:
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py -l en -a US -M A Simple Plan
1998
2020-05-22 10:48:32.824585 I Running Grabber:
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py -l en -a US -M A Simple Plan
1998
2020-05-22 10:48:33.678813 I Metadata Lookup Failed: No Results A Simple
Plan 1998 0 0
2020-05-22 10:48:33.879168 I No results found for A Simple Plan 1998 0 0

_____________
Ryan Patterson
Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
On 5/22/20 7:54 AM, Ryan Patterson wrote:
> In an effort to help with metadata lookup I started adding the release
> year for movies to my mythvideo files as specified in the wiki.
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing
>
> Now every TMDB metadata look up fails with no results found.  What am
> I doing wrong?
>
> filename: 'A Simple Plan 1998.mkv'
> metadata lookup:
> 2020-05-22 10:48:26.979709 I  Running Grabber:
> /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py -l en -a US -M A Simple Plan
> 1998
> 2020-05-22 10:48:31.220878 I  Running Grabber:
> /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py -l en -a US -M A Simple
> Plan 1998
> 2020-05-22 10:48:32.824585 I  Running Grabber:
> /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py -l en -a US -M A Simple
> Plan 1998
> 2020-05-22 10:48:33.678813 I  Metadata Lookup Failed: No Results A
> Simple Plan 1998 0 0
> 2020-05-22 10:48:33.879168 I  No results found for A Simple Plan 1998 0 0

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  :)

It just doesn't work as expected.   There was a thread on this list on
5/10 titled 'metadata' discussing a possible patch to improve the situation.

I found it easier now to just manually match titles than expect the
parser to get it right.

Michael

Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
Hoi Ryan,

Friday, May 22, 2020, 4:54:33 PM, you wrote:

> In an effort to help with metadata lookup I started adding the
> release year for movies to my mythvideo files as specified in the wiki.
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing

> Now every TMDB metadata look up fails with no results found.  What am I doing wrong?

> filename: 'A Simple Plan 1998.mkv'
> metadata lookup:
> 2020-05-22 10:48:26.979709 I  Running Grabber:
> /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py -l en -a US -M A Simple Plan 1998
> 2020-05-22 10:48:31.220878 I  Running Grabber:
> /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py -l en -a US -M A Simple Plan 1998
> 2020-05-22 10:48:32.824585 I  Running Grabber:
> /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py -l en -a US -M A Simple Plan 1998
> 2020-05-22 10:48:33.678813 I  Metadata Lookup Failed: No Results A Simple Plan 1998 0 0
> 2020-05-22 10:48:33.879168 I  No results found for A Simple Plan 1998 0 0

> _____________
> Ryan Patterson

I think you should put the year in between brackets:
'A Simple Plan (1998).mkv'

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
On 5/22/20 2:25 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Ryan,
>
> Friday, May 22, 2020, 4:54:33 PM, you wrote:
> I think you should put the year in between brackets:
> 'A Simple Plan (1998).mkv'

Unfortunately, that is not what the naming guide suggests:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing

I have spent considerable time trying to make it work the way it is supposed to for mythtv.

Putting the date in ()s is the standard for most other tools like plex though. If you put it in parans, mythtv ignores the date. If you add the date per the guide, it doesn't strip it when querying for metadata and you won't find the movie. Either way it doesn't really work correctly or as expected.

Michael

Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
Hoi Michael,

Friday, May 22, 2020, 11:44:48 PM, you wrote:

> On 5/22/20 2:25 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Ryan,
>>
>> Friday, May 22, 2020, 4:54:33 PM, you wrote:
>> I think you should put the year in between brackets:
>> 'A Simple Plan (1998).mkv'
>>

> Unfortunately, that is not what the naming guide suggests:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing

> I have spent considerable time trying to make it work the way it is supposed to for mythtv.

> Putting the date in ()s is the standard for most other tools like
> plex though. If you put it in parans, mythtv ignores the date.
> If you add the date per the guide, it doesn't strip it when querying
> for metadata and you won't find the movie. Either way it doesn't
> really work correctly or as expected.

> Michael

With series that works for me in MythVideo, but it could be a
difference between the ttvdb lookupscript and the imdb lookupscript.
It could be a bug in the imdb lookupscript where the parentheses are
excluded of the name before a search is done.
If I find time I might checkout the python script.

Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the replies. I'll go back to my old naming convention.

_____________
Ryan Patterson

Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
Hoi Ryan,

Sunday, May 24, 2020, 2:17:03 PM, you wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.  I'll go back to my old naming convention.

I was just now on themoviedb.org and there they suggest:
'A Simple Plan y:1998.mkv'

Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 7:00 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Ryan,
>
> Sunday, May 24, 2020, 2:17:03 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the replies. I'll go back to my old naming convention.
>

> I was just now on themoviedb.org and there they suggest:
> 'A Simple Plan y:1998.mkv'

It was worth a try. But that nomenclature didn't work either.

-Ryan
Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
On 25/05/2020 15:01, Ryan Patterson wrote:

> On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 7:00 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com
> <mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hoi Ryan,
>
> Sunday, May 24, 2020, 2:17:03 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the replies.  I'll go back to my old naming convention.
>

> I was just now on themoviedb.org <http://themoviedb.org> and there
> they suggest:
> 'A Simple Plan y:1998.mkv'
>

> It was worth a try.  But that nomenclature didn't work either.
>
> -Ryan

See recent discussion about this here :-

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/631703?search_string=metadata;#631703

Someone needs to take the time to test the pull request to see if it
fixes the problem and report back if it improves things.

If you are too lazy to patch the file yourself just get the patched
version from my fork here :-

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/paul-h/mythtv/master/mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py

Just copy it over your existing tmdb3.py file probably in
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/

The patched version should work with both 'A Simple Plan 1998' and 'A
Simple Plan (1998)' but it needs someone to spend the time to test
different combinations to see what actually works and what doesn't.

Paul H.
Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
> On 25 May 2020, at 10:44 pm, Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 7:00 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hoi Ryan,
>>
>> Sunday, May 24, 2020, 2:17:03 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for the replies. I'll go back to my old naming convention.
>>

>> I was just now on themoviedb.org and there they suggest:
>> 'A Simple Plan y:1998.mkv'
>>
>> It was worth a try. But that nomenclature didn't work either.
>>
>> -Ryan
>>

> See recent discussion about this here :-
>
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/631703?search_string=metadata;#631703
>

> Someone needs to take the time to test the pull request to see if it fixes the problem and report back if it improves things.
>

> If you are too lazy to patch the file yourself just get the patched version from my fork here :-
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/paul-h/mythtv/master/mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py
>
> Just copy it over your existing tmdb3.py file probably in /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/
>
> The patched version should work with both 'A Simple Plan 1998' and 'A Simple Plan (1998)' but it needs someone to spend the time to test different combinations to see what actually works and what doesn’t.

Paul sorry with mail hastles I did not see your reply
I’ll test and report
James
Re: metadata lookup, movies with year in filename [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 10:45 AM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> On 25/05/2020 15:01, Ryan Patterson wrote:
>

> On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 7:00 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hoi Ryan,
>>
>> Sunday, May 24, 2020, 2:17:03 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for the replies. I'll go back to my old naming convention.
>>

>> I was just now on themoviedb.org and there they suggest:
>> 'A Simple Plan y:1998.mkv'
>>

> It was worth a try. But that nomenclature didn't work either.
>
> -Ryan
>

> See recent discussion about this here :-
>
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/631703?search_string=metadata;#631703
>

> Someone needs to take the time to test the pull request to see if it fixes
> the problem and report back if it improves things.
>

> If you are too lazy to patch the file yourself just get the patched
> version from my fork here :-
>

> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/paul-h/mythtv/master/mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py
>
> Just copy it over your existing tmdb3.py file probably in
> /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/
>
> The patched version should work with both 'A Simple Plan 1998' and 'A
> Simple Plan (1998)' but it needs someone to spend the time to test
> different combinations to see what actually works and what doesn't.
>
> Paul H.

Thanks. Using the patched tmdb.py I got the following results...
'A Simple Plan (1998)' :: Multiple results returned from different years.
Mythvideo prompts user to select.
'A Simple Plan 1998' :: Single (correct) result returned. No prompt from
mythvideo.

I will do some more tests with other files and report back.