work with lirc default driver on its own, and I can also get a ftdi
FT230X based USB ir blaster using the ftdix driver on it's own, but I
don't see ANY documentation showing how to have BOTH the receiver and
transmitter in the /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf file. There seems to
be so little documentation on ir blasters on lirc.org on newer
versions of lirc.

Thanks,
Dan
Re: Ubuntu lirc_options.conf with BOTH receiver and transmitter [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 May 2020 21:11:37 -0400, you wrote:

>Does anyone have an example lirc_options.conf file that has both a
>receiver and transmitter in it, with two different drivers? My
>understanding is that I can have one instance of lircd with ONE
>receiver and ONE transmitter at the same time. I can get a mceusb to
>work with lirc default driver on its own, and I can also get a ftdi
>FT230X based USB ir blaster using the ftdix driver on it's own, but I
>don't see ANY documentation showing how to have BOTH the receiver and
>transmitter in the /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf file. There seems to
>be so little documentation on ir blasters on lirc.org on newer
>versions of lirc.
>
>Thanks,
>Dan

You are right that the blasters do not seem to be documented on
lirc.org (or anywhere else that I can find) with the new lirc.
Ultimately, it would be possible to run two lirc setups using
different configurations if you need to use two different drivers.
irsend has a -d option to specify the device (lircd socket) it will
use to transmit. And lirc_options has an "output" setting that allows
you to specify the lirc socket that lircd will create. The
lircd-setup program takes an argument on its command line to tell it
where to put its output file instead of /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.
So that just leaves lirc-setup as a potential problem - I am not quite
sure how it works yet, but it is all Python 3 code, so if it needs
adjustment to make it work with a second lircd, then it should be
possible.

And I have just found Appendix A9 of the lirc documentation where it
recommends passing override settings to a second copy of lircd from
its .service file:

https://www.lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html#appendix-9

which gets around the need for two separate configurations.
Re: Ubuntu lirc_options.conf with BOTH receiver and transmitter [ In reply to ]

> On Thu, 21 May 2020 21:11:37 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have an example lirc_options.conf file that has both a
> >receiver and transmitter in it, with two different drivers? My
> >understanding is that I can have one instance of lircd with ONE
> >receiver and ONE transmitter at the same time. I can get a mceusb to
> >work with lirc default driver on its own, and I can also get a ftdi
> >FT230X based USB ir blaster using the ftdix driver on it's own, but I
> >don't see ANY documentation showing how to have BOTH the receiver and
> >transmitter in the /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf file. There seems to
> >be so little documentation on ir blasters on lirc.org on newer
> >versions of lirc.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Dan
>
> You are right that the blasters do not seem to be documented on
> lirc.org (or anywhere else that I can find) with the new lirc.
> Ultimately, it would be possible to run two lirc setups using
> different configurations if you need to use two different drivers.
> irsend has a -d option to specify the device (lircd socket) it will
> use to transmit. And lirc_options has an "output" setting that allows
> you to specify the lirc socket that lircd will create. The
> lircd-setup program takes an argument on its command line to tell it
> where to put its output file instead of /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.
> So that just leaves lirc-setup as a potential problem - I am not quite
> sure how it works yet, but it is all Python 3 code, so if it needs
> adjustment to make it work with a second lircd, then it should be
> possible.
>
> And I have just found Appendix A9 of the lirc documentation where it
> recommends passing override settings to a second copy of lircd from
> its .service file:
>
> https://www.lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html#appendix-9
>
> which gets around the need for two separate configurations.

Thanks Stephen. You're email was on the right track. After I sent
the initial email, I went through the info in appendix 9 on lirc.org.
I had to create a second instance of lircd. I have now have mceusb
working on one lircd and the ir blaster on another lircd. I am going
to send the steps to my configuration soon, as there just seems to be
so little info on blasters. I spent too much time figuring it out, so
I hope to help others.