Frontend: Apple MacBook Pro 2012, Nvidia Shield 2017
Backend: HP Microserver N40L 1.5GHz with 4x3TB HDDs
Tuners: Two over-the-air ATSC inputs with multirec
Re: Leanfront 0-138 much faster to start [ In reply to ]
On 20/05/2020 05:01, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Previous versions of Leanfront, up to and including 0-136, took about 30 seconds to load available recordings before anything appeared on screen. 0-138 displays them almost instantly; I presume caching is being used? ("Refresh Lists" takes 17-18 seconds, so still faster than before.) However it was done, much thanks to Peter Bennett for the improvement.
>
> Peter, while I have you on the line, a feature request for your consideration:
>
> * MEDIA_PLAY or MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE at the "top" layer (the "All" or "Default" rows) should immediately play the episode in the thumbnail of the chosen show, as opposed to the current need to click into the show, wait for the show to be highlighted in the column list on the left (can take several seconds for a show late in the alphabetical order), then move right from the list onto the row of episodes, then again onto the specific episode. To put another way, have MEDIA_PLAY/PLAY_PAUSE immediately play the first listed episode.

If we're doing feature requests: any chance of making configurable the
colour of bars above and below the video? The grey is good for my plasma
TV, but I much prefer black. :-)

Loving the way Leanfront is developing.

Cheers,
Paul.
Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]
On 5/20/20 3:54 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> If we're doing feature requests: any chance of making configurable the
> colour of bars above and below the video? The grey is good for my
> plasma TV, but I much prefer black. :-)
>
> Loving the way Leanfront is developing.
>
> Cheers,
>     Paul.

It looks black to me. Do you mean the black bars (letterbox) at top and
bottom as in the picture at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0po3wa8f44u6mdh/Screenshot_2020-05-20_16-03-56.png?dl=0

Maybe I am missing something.

Peter
Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]
On 20/05/2020 21:10, Peter Bennett wrote:> On 5/20/20 3:54 AM, Paul
Gardiner wrote:
>> If we're doing feature requests: any chance of making configurable the
>> colour of bars above and below the video? The grey is good for my
>> plasma TV, but I much prefer black. :-)
>>
>> Loving the way Leanfront is developing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Paul.
>
> It looks black to me. Do you mean the black bars (letterbox) at top and
> bottom as in the picture at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0po3wa8f44u6mdh/Screenshot_2020-05-20_16-03-56.png?dl=0

Yes. I'm now seeing grey, although possibly only since fiddling with the
screen size settings. Perhaps it was black and then I changed something.

P.
Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]
On 5/21/20 5:45 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 20/05/2020 21:10, Peter Bennett wrote:> On 5/20/20 3:54 AM, Paul
> Gardiner wrote:
> >> If we're doing feature requests: any chance of making configurable the
> >> colour of bars above and below the video? The grey is good for my
> >> plasma TV, but I much prefer black. :-)
> >>
> >> Loving the way Leanfront is developing.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>     Paul.
> >
> > It looks black to me. Do you mean the black bars (letterbox) at top and
> > bottom as in the picture at
> >

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0po3wa8f44u6mdh/Screenshot_2020-05-20_16-03-56.png?dl=0
>
> Yes. I'm now seeing grey, although possibly only since fiddling with
> the screen size settings. Perhaps it was black and then I changed
> something.
>
> P.

The color seems to be #010001
i.e red and blue value 1 (out of 255), green value 0. Pretty close to
black. I don't know how to change it, although I could investigate it.
Maybe not worth the trouble.
It may come out different on different android devices if the color is
"transparent", and showing the background color.

Peter

Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]
On 21/05/2020 17:39, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 5/21/20 5:45 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>> > It looks black to me. Do you mean the black bars (letterbox) at top and
>> > bottom as in the picture at
>> >

>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0po3wa8f44u6mdh/Screenshot_2020-05-20_16-03-56.png?dl=0
>>

>> Yes. I'm now seeing grey, although possibly only since fiddling with
>> the screen size settings. Perhaps it was black and then I changed
>> something.
>>
>> P.
>
> The color seems to be #010001
> i.e red and blue value 1 (out of 255), green value 0. Pretty close to
> black. I don't know how to change it, although I could investigate it.
> Maybe not worth the trouble.
> It may come out different on different android devices if the color is
> "transparent", and showing the background color.

Here's a video showing how it looks on my firestick, along with the
results of my fiddling with the stretch and screen size buttons:
http://download.glidos.net/LeanfrontGreyBars.mp4

P.
Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]

Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]

Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]

> >my

Is there any possibility this is being caused by a non-optimal color space
configuration leading to black lifting?

I like to refer to the explanation given here: (
https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space).

I don't use leanfront but I have found that if I don't ensure everything is
set up correctly with respect to Limited / Full and RGB / YcBcR444 for all
the components in the chain (MythFrontend --> Video Card --> Recevier / TV)
then I can end up with black that looks washed out to grey.
Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]
On 23/05/2020 13:55, Tim Pletcher wrote:

> >my
>

> Is there any possibility this is being caused by a non-optimal color
> space configuration leading to black lifting?
>
> I like to refer to the explanation given here:
> (https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space).
>
> I don't use leanfront but I have found that if I don't ensure everything
> is set up correctly with respect to Limited / Full and RGB / YcBcR444
> for all the components in the chain (MythFrontend --> Video Card -->
> Recevier / TV) then I can end up with black that looks washed out to grey.

Thanks for the thought, but no. I know that problem very well. The grey
bars are far too bright to be by that cause, and the picture otherwise
looks perfect.

Paul.
Re: Leanfront 0-138 much faster to start [ In reply to ]
On 5/20/20 12:01 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> * MEDIA_PLAY or MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE at the "top" layer (the "All" or "Default" rows) should immediately play the episode in the thumbnail of the chosen show, as opposed to the current need to click into the show, wait for the show to be highlighted in the column list on the left (can take several seconds for a show late in the alphabetical order), then move right from the list onto the row of episodes, then again onto the specific episode. To put another way, have MEDIA_PLAY/PLAY_PAUSE immediately play the first listed episode.

OK, that one was easy - it is done in v0-145-g8a6ad65

Peter

Re: Leanfront 0-138 much faster to start [ In reply to ]
Peter Bennett says:
> > To put another way, have MEDIA_PLAY/PLAY_PAUSE
> > immediately play the first listed episode.
>
> OK, that one was easy - it is done in v0-145-g8a6ad65

Excellent! Thank you again.

Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 4:04 AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> for
> > >my
> >

> > Is there any possibility this is being caused by a non-optimal color
> > space configuration leading to black lifting?
> >
> > I like to refer to the explanation given here:
> > (https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space).
> >
> > I don't use leanfront but I have found that if I don't ensure everything
> > is set up correctly with respect to Limited / Full and RGB / YcBcR444
> > for all the components in the chain (MythFrontend --> Video Card -->
> > Recevier / TV) then I can end up with black that looks washed out to
> grey.
>
> Thanks for the thought, but no. I know that problem very well. The grey
> bars are far too bright to be by that cause, and the picture otherwise
> looks perfect.
>
> Paul.

It's been a while since I have had a plasma tv, but ISTR that the borders
were black on it by default. I had a Pioneer and the settings were input
specific - you may want to make sure the settings are copied to all inputs
and it may go away.

When DirecTV first started broadcasting in 1080 back in the 90s, I had a
rear projection HD behemoth. I soon switched to plasma when it became
available and had a line doubler inline with all my inputs passed through
it (before HDMI was out). It could detect telecine, progressive, pulldown,
anamorphic, etc. I only had the issue with certain formats (anamorphic
2:35:1 ISTR), but once I made the changes on my plasma, it went away. Of
course, it shortened the life of the plasma greatly and blacks quickly
became dark greens, etc, but by then I was ready for a new TV anyhow.
Re: Leanfront 0-138 Black Background? [ In reply to ]
On 26/05/2020 18:24, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 4:04 AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>
> On 23/05/2020 13:55, Tim Pletcher wrote:
> >
> >      >>>> >> If we're doing feature requests: any chance of making
> >      >>>> configurable the
> >      >>>> >> colour of bars above and below the video? The grey
> is good for
> >      >my
> >      >>>> >> plasma TV, but I much prefer black. :-)
> >

> > Is there any possibility this is being caused by a non-optimal color
> > space configuration leading to black lifting?
> >
> > I like to refer to the explanation given here:
> > (https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space).
> >
> > I don't use leanfront but I have found that if I don't ensure
> everything
> > is set up correctly with respect to Limited / Full and RGB /
> YcBcR444
> > for all the components in the chain (MythFrontend --> Video Card -->
> > Recevier / TV) then I can end up with black that looks washed out
> to grey.
>
> Thanks for the thought, but no. I know that problem very well. The grey
> bars are far too bright to be by that cause, and the picture otherwise
> looks perfect.
>
> Paul.
>

> It's been a while since I have had a plasma tv, but ISTR that the
> borders were black on it by default.  I had a Pioneer and the settings
> were input specific - you may want to make sure the settings are copied
> to all inputs and it may go away.
>
> When DirecTV first started broadcasting in 1080 back in the 90s, I had a
> rear projection HD behemoth.  I soon switched to plasma when it became
> available and had a line doubler inline with all my inputs passed
> through it (before HDMI was out).  It could detect telecine,
> progressive, pulldown, anamorphic, etc.  I only had the issue with
> certain formats (anamorphic 2:35:1 ISTR), but once I made the changes on
> my plasma, it went away.  Of course, it shortened the life of the plasma
> greatly and blacks quickly became dark greens, etc, but by then I was
> ready for a new TV anyhow.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an AV receiver so I'm using just one
input on the TV for everything: Bluray player, Steam box, ion-PC-based
mythfrontend and Fire TV box. It's only the Fire TV box that produces
the grey bars and then only when using Leanfront. If it is the TV then
it still has to be triggered by Leanfront in some way (perhaps sending
blacker than black). The TV does have a setting for the bars, but it's
on black.

Another thing, when I bring up Leanfronts UI, the whole picture is
darkened as is common for UIs. When that happens the grey bars darken too.

Cheers,
Paul.