Mailing List Archive

Mythbuntu Theme - fix required (solution within)
I've had this issue on my Shield with v30, but now i'm seeing it on all my v31 FE's too which has made it a whole lot easier to debug.

In Videos, there is no gallery-view text for each video - it's like the text is #000000 as you can see gaps in the horizontal lines for 'decender' letters (p,q,j,y etc), however turns out it's an outline colour issue.

First up, i'm not a themer. While I've tried i simply don't have the time to create my own or spend excessive time adapting an existing (i'd love to see mythAeon & Readability themes back working,so maybe this is the start of a slippery slope...). The problem with Mythbuntu is within base.xml, starting at line 61:

<fontdef name="basesmallblackoutline" from="basesmall">

<color>#bcbcbc</color>

<outlinecolor>#000000</outlinecolor>

<outlinesize>4</outlinesize>

</fontdef>

Specifically the <outlinecolor> and <outlinesize> (line 63&64) need to be removed. Not sure what changed to make the outline break things as git shows the latest commit in 2018, but this fixes the videos menu UI.

Clearly the outline is so intense that it just hiding #bcbcbc and i found the only way to make it look right is to remove outline tags completely.

I'm happy to re-learn git and submit a fix, i guess i'm seeking confirmation that this is a proper solution from the wiser amongst us... it appears to work and none of the common areas i'm using in the GUI appear to be negatively affected...

Next up is to add the new deinterlacer info to the OSDDEBUG....
Re: Mythbuntu Theme - fix required (solution within) [ In reply to ]
On 17/05/2020 09:45, Tim Draper wrote:

> I've had this issue on my Shield with v30, but now i'm seeing it on
> all my v31 FE's too which has made it a whole lot easier to debug.
>
> In Videos, there is no gallery-view text for each video - it's like
> the text is #000000 as you can see gaps in the horizontal lines for
> 'decender' letters (p,q,j,y etc), however turns out it's an outline
> colour issue.
>
> First up, i'm not a themer. While I've tried i simply don't have the
> time to create my own or spend excessive time adapting an existing
> (i'd love to see mythAeon & Readability themes back working,so maybe
> this is the start of a slippery slope...). The problem with Mythbuntu
> is within base.xml, starting at line 61:
>
> <fontdef name="basesmallblackoutline" from="basesmall">
> <color>#bcbcbc</color>
> <outlinecolor>#000000</outlinecolor>
> <outlinesize>4</outlinesize>
> </fontdef>
>
> Specifically the <outlinecolor> and <outlinesize> (line 63&64) need to
> be removed. Not sure what changed to make the outline break things as
> git shows the latest commit in 2018, but this fixes the videos menu UI.
> Clearly the outline is so intense that it just hiding #bcbcbc and i
> found the only way to make it look right is to remove outline tags
> completely.
>
> I'm happy to re-learn git and submit a fix, i guess i'm seeking
> confirmation that this is a proper solution from the wiser amongst
> us... it appears to work and none of the common areas i'm using in the
> GUI appear to be negatively affected...
>
> Next up is to add the new deinterlacer info to the OSDDEBUG....

I can see the problem with current master as well.

It's the <outlinesize> size of 4 that is causing the problem and is
making the black outline obliterate the grey text. Since the background
is also black it has the effect of making the text invisible. If you
change the <outlinecolor> to #ff0000 you can see what is happening
better since that makes the outline color red.

Reducing the outline size to say 1 improves the problem but still looks
bad. I would change all the references of 'basesmallblackoutline' to
'basesmallgrey' in video-ui.xml and removeĀ  the 'basesmallblackoutline'
fontdef from base.xml since it's not used anywhere else. That looks a
lot better to my eyes but it's not my theme to mess with.

A quick tip if you want to start playing around with themes is you can
make changes to say video-ui.xml in ~/.mythtv/themes/Mythbuntu and to
see the changes just exit out of the screen in the frontend and back in
again and you should see the changes you made. If you make changes to
base.xml though then you will have to restart the frontend to see the
changes. There is a jumppoint called 'Reload Theme' that you can set to
lets say Ctrl-R that you can then use to reload the theme without
restarting the frontend (useful if you want to see what affect changing
something in base.xml does).

Other useful JumpPoints are 'Toggle Show Widget Borders' and 'Toggle
Show Widget Names'. Try setting them and then try them out to see what
they do if you can't guess already :)

Paul H.
Re: Mythbuntu Theme - fix required (solution within) [ In reply to ]
---- On Sun, 17 May 2020 12:15:30 +0100 Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote ----

> On 17/05/2020 09:45, Tim Draper wrote:

> I can see the problem with current master as well.

should've probably said it was an active issue; downloading the current version of the theme exhibits the issue.

> It's the <outlinesize> size of 4 that is causing the problem and is making the black outline obliterate the grey text. Since the background is also black it has the effect of making the text invisible. If you change the <outlinecolor> to #ff0000 you can see what is happening better since that makes the outline color red.

> Reducing the outline size to say 1 improves the problem but still looks bad. I would change all the references of 'basesmallblackoutline' to 'basesmallgrey' in video-ui.xml and remove the 'basesmallblackoutline' fontdef from base.xml since it's not used anywhere else. That looks a lot better to my eyes but it's not my theme to mess with.

while i get everyone can contribute to FOSS, it's more the fact i'm not familiar with git or theming enough to ammend source. your findings is what i've found although solution different. I initially went with 'basesmallblackoutline2' just for video_ui.xml use that only appeared to affect this. then i figured just to edit the existing definition. Been using Mythbuntu long enough that i'm reasonably confident it's only affected/used in videos, or it's a problem elsewhere that i've just not seen.

ultimately i'm not fussed about exactly which solution, but in the spirit of standardising and OSS, it should be done right for everyones sanity.

> A quick tip if you want to start playing around with themes is you can make changes to say video-ui.xml in ~/.mythtv/themes/Mythbuntu and to see the changes just exit out of the screen in the frontend and back in again and you should see the changes you made. If you make changes to base.xml though then you will have to restart the frontend to see the changes. There is a jumppoint called 'Reload Theme' that you can set to lets say Ctrl-R that you can then use to reload the theme without restarting the frontend (useful if you want to see what affect changing something in base.xml does).

> Other useful JumpPoints are 'Toggle Show Widget Borders' and 'Toggle Show Widget Names'. Try setting them and then try them out to see what they do if you can't guess already :)

i've been using the Theming guide page in the mythtv wiki a lot and using the sugestion on restarting just the UI, but didnt realise there was a jumppoint option in there too. good info. sounds like widget borders&names would be bloody useful too, rather than guess & feel on a half-size 1920x1080 FE window when testing.

Yet to figure out the osd.xml for the new v31 deinterlacer values, but not spent too much time on that yet. For the sake of a couple of minor tweaks to the existing themes, seems like it's effort well spent rather than creating my own to fix those issues...
Re: Mythbuntu Theme - fix required (solution within) [ In reply to ]
On 17/05/2020 16:10, Tim Draper wrote:

> [...]
> theme without restarting the frontend (useful if you want to see what
> affect changing something in base.xml does).
> > Other useful JumpPoints are 'Toggle Show Widget Borders' and 'Toggle
> Show Widget Names'. Try setting them and then try them out to see what
> they do if you can't guess already :)
> >

> i've been using the Theming guide page in the mythtv wiki a lot and
> using the sugestion on restarting just the UI, but didnt realise there
> was a jumppoint option in there too. good info. sounds like widget
> borders&names would be bloody useful too, rather than guess & feel on
> a half-size 1920x1080 FE window when testing.
> Yet to figure out the osd.xml for the new v31 deinterlacer values, but
> not spent too much time on that yet. For the sake of a couple of minor
> tweaks to the existing themes, seems like it's effort well spent
> rather than creating my own to fix those issues...

This is the commit that added the deinterlacer to the debug OSD

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/47e41e76f4ce4e

You have to 2 options

1. remove the osd_debug window from Mythbuntu's osd.xml it will then
fallback to using the default window definition. It looks like a copy
paste from the default one so really no need for it be copied.

2. add the new <textarea>'s 'deint' andĀ  'deinterlacer' that the above
commit added. You will also have to tweak the height of the window
<area> to make room for the new textarea's.

This is Mythbuntu's osd.xml

https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/Mythbuntu/blob/master/osd.xml#L4

and this is the default-wide's

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/themes/default-wide/osd.xml#L4

Paul H.
Re: Mythbuntu Theme - fix required (solution within) [ In reply to ]
---- On Sun, 17 May 2020 23:54:04 +0100 Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote ----

> This is the commit that added the deinterlacer to the debug OSD
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/47e41e76f4ce4e
>

> You have to 2 options
>
> 1. remove the osd_debug window from Mythbuntu's osd.xml it will then fallback to using the default window definition. It looks like a copy paste from the default one so really no need for it be copied.
>
> 2. add the new <textarea>'s 'deint' and 'deinterlacer' that the above commit added. You will also have to tweak the height of the window <area> to make room for the new textarea's.
>

> This is Mythbuntu's osd.xml
>
> https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/Mythbuntu/blob/master/osd.xml#L4
> and this is the default-wide's
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/themes/default-wide/osd.xml#L4
>

> Paul H.

thats where i started - removed the osd_debug & all it's children so it fell back to default OSDDebug layout. it worked even if the layout wasnt correct for the theme. I didnt get as far as digging around in osd-related commits to discover the new deint name. Seems the theming wiki could do with being ammended to atleast mention it...
I'll get round to it eventually; maybe at the weekend when i can spare some dediated uninterupted time to play around and submit a fix on github. I've also a second rpi4 due tomorrow that i'm using to test playback setup with since the deployment info for rpi4 on the wiki doesnt seem correct at all (see another recent thread from me reguarding it)
Short of rooting my Shield (rather not - have to reconfigure everything), which will give me access to the themes dir, a public fix is going to be the only way to get the videos_ui.xml file updated on it.

Re: Mythbuntu Theme - fix required (solution within) [ In reply to ]
Amended code submitted for the Deinterlacer output in the OSD. Very new to git and i'm not a dev so hopefully i've done it right

I'm going to look into the original fix for the text border in videos a bit more before i submit anything on git, so that should be done later today depending exactly what's needed... either tweak just for video.xml or remove&reassign the broken fontdef if it's not used anywhere else...