is available (i.e there is no conflict) and go to the HDHR if it is not
(and the channel is available OTA).

Is there a way to set up the recording rules to do what I want? For
example, can I say "record all showings" then edit the recording rule to
prefer the HDPVR? It seems like if I do this, then it might record the SD
channel instead of the HD channel. But if I say "record all showings this
channel" for the HD channel, it will not change out to the HDHR if
necessary.
Re: Prioritize one capture card [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 May 2020 11:54:47 -0700, you wrote:

>I could swear I posted this question here before some time ago, but I can't
>find it in my sent mail or through a search of the list. So maybe it was
>just a dream.
>
>I have both a HDPVR (capturing cable) and a HDHR Connect Duo for OTA. The
>HDPVR is more reliable because of occasional signal problems on the HDHR.
>Basically I'd like to set things up so every recording uses the HDPVR if it
>is available (i.e there is no conflict) and go to the HDHR if it is not
>(and the channel is available OTA).
>
>Is there a way to set up the recording rules to do what I want? For
>example, can I say "record all showings" then edit the recording rule to
>prefer the HDPVR? It seems like if I do this, then it might record the SD
>channel instead of the HD channel. But if I say "record all showings this
>channel" for the HD channel, it will not change out to the HDHR if
>necessary.

If you increase the priority of the HDPVR tuner, that should do what
you want:

mythtv-setup > 5. Input connections > select tuner > scroll down >
Interactions between inputs > Input priority

If you give it a big number (say 100), that will overwhelm other
sources of priority and make it the tuner of choice. Then you can
give the HD channels a priority boost also (from the channel editor),
to make them preferred over the SD ones. Be aware that this can make
MythTV wait for a later HD recording and bypass recording on an SD
channel in favour of the later HD one. Which is good if the HD
recording succeeds, but bad if it fails.
Re: Prioritize one capture card [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 14, 2020, 7:09 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 2020 11:54:47 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >I could swear I posted this question here before some time ago, but I
> can't
> >find it in my sent mail or through a search of the list. So maybe it was
> >just a dream.
> >
> >I have both a HDPVR (capturing cable) and a HDHR Connect Duo for OTA. The
> >HDPVR is more reliable because of occasional signal problems on the HDHR.
> >Basically I'd like to set things up so every recording uses the HDPVR if
> it
> >is available (i.e there is no conflict) and go to the HDHR if it is not
> >(and the channel is available OTA).
> >
> >Is there a way to set up the recording rules to do what I want? For
> >example, can I say "record all showings" then edit the recording rule to
> >prefer the HDPVR? It seems like if I do this, then it might record the SD
> >channel instead of the HD channel. But if I say "record all showings this
> >channel" for the HD channel, it will not change out to the HDHR if
> >necessary.
>
> If you increase the priority of the HDPVR tuner, that should do what
> you want:
>
> mythtv-setup > 5. Input connections > select tuner > scroll down >
> Interactions between inputs > Input priority
>
> If you give it a big number (say 100), that will overwhelm other
> sources of priority and make it the tuner of choice. Then you can
> give the HD channels a priority boost also (from the channel editor),
> to make them preferred over the SD ones. Be aware that this can make
> MythTV wait for a later HD recording and bypass recording on an SD
> channel in favour of the later HD one. Which is good if the HD
> recording succeeds, but bad if it fails.

I didn't know I could assign priority to tuners and channels. I will
investigate. Thanks!