Mailing List Archive

mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6
I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro and used to run mythfrontend on it back awhile ago.

I’ve seen a bunch of discussion on this lists about work being done related to v31. I don’t follow much of this discussion. Since I don’t develop code on my Mac; it’s just a tool to me.

So my question is: At this point or in the near future, is it possible to run mythtv-frontend v31 on OS X High Sierra 10.13.6?

Jim A
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 7:27 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro and used to run mythfrontend on it back
> awhile ago.
>
> I’ve seen a bunch of discussion on this lists about work being done
> related to v31. I don’t follow much of this discussion. Since I don’t
> develop code on my Mac; it’s just a tool to me.
>
> So my question is: At this point or in the near future, is it possible to
> run mythtv-frontend v31 on OS X High Sierra 10.13.6?
>
> Jim A

It should be. The current issue is that the only successful effort to get
v31 to compile is on Catalina - 10.15.4. This means you can only compile
on Catalina with Xcode 11 or higher. MacOS Xcode support for High Sierra
was deprecated in Xcode 11.

If someone who has access to a Mojave or High Sierra system could work
through the macports based install script (any any new legacy system
related issues) I've posted at the following link, they should be able to
compile with Xcode 10.

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3800

I don't have access to a Mojave and High Sierra system myself. In theory,
someone could probably install one of those in a VM and work through the
compile issues...

~John
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/20 7:48 AM, John Hoyt wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 7:27 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro and used to run mythfrontend on
> it back awhile ago.
>
> I’ve seen a bunch of discussion on this lists about work being
> done related to v31. I don’t follow much of this discussion. Since
> I don’t develop code on my Mac; it’s just a tool to me.
>
> So my question is: At this point or in the near future, is it
> possible to run mythtv-frontend v31 on OS X High Sierra 10.13.6?
>
> Jim A
>

> It should be.  The current issue is that the only successful effort to
> get v31 to compile is on Catalina - 10.15.4.  This means you can only
> compile on Catalina with Xcode 11 or higher.  MacOS Xcode support for
> High Sierra was deprecated in Xcode 11.
>
> If someone who has access to a Mojave or High Sierra system could work
> through the macports based install script (any any new legacy system
> related issues) I've posted at the following link, they should be able
> to compile with Xcode 10.
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3800
>
> I don't have access to a Mojave and High Sierra system myself.  In
> theory, someone could probably install one of those in a VM and work
> through the compile issues...
>
> ~John

Thanks for your answer. I don't have the knowledge base to attempt this
myself. I'm at the point, since Apple will not update OS X beyond High
Sierra on my version of Macbook, of just installing Ubuntu on my
Macbook. My main PC is running Ubuntu and the Macbook is just for
mobility.  If I could find a Linux recipe program to replace MacGourmet
then I could switch all my platforms to Ubuntu.

Jim A
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
> On 15 May 2020, at 2:10 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> Thanks for your answer. I don't have the knowledge base to attempt this
> myself. I'm at the point, since Apple will not update OS X beyond High
> Sierra on my version of Macbook, of just installing Ubuntu on my
> Macbook. My main PC is running Ubuntu and the Macbook is just for
> mobility.? If I could find a Linux recipe program to replace MacGourmet
> then I could switch all my platforms to Ubuntu.

Jim
I'm quite anti apple but macbooks runnning osx make much better use of the hardware than linux.
What works well is to run a fullscreeb vm
If you have a retina display then parallels scaled is better than VirtualBox. Also parallels disk performace is nearer the native 2000 odd MB/s.

But mythfrontend works nicely in both. I've tried both 30 and 31

James
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 6:29 PM jam@tigger.ws <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 15 May 2020, at 2:10 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for your answer. I don't have the knowledge base to attempt this
> > myself. I'm at the point, since Apple will not update OS X beyond High
> > Sierra on my version of Macbook, of just installing Ubuntu on my
> > Macbook. My main PC is running Ubuntu and the Macbook is just for
> > mobility.? If I could find a Linux recipe program to replace MacGourmet
> > then I could switch all my platforms to Ubuntu.
>
> Jim
> I'm quite anti apple but macbooks runnning osx make much better use of the
> hardware than linux.
> What works well is to run a fullscreeb vm
> If you have a retina display then parallels scaled is better than
> VirtualBox. Also parallels disk performace is nearer the native 2000 odd
> MB/s.
>
> But mythfrontend works nicely in both. I've tried both 30 and 31
>
> James

So I managed to get a High Sierra VM up and running. What version of Xcode
do y'all have running? I tried 10 and just got the you're computer is too
old for this version of Xcode message.

BTW, I'm doing all of this work on a 5 year old laptop (which still
supports Catalina). What year were your "ancient" mac put out? I'm
beginning to think you should either abandon the old HW or just move over
to Linux :)
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/20 11:01 PM, John Hoyt wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 6:29 PM jam@tigger.ws <mailto:jam@tigger.ws>
> <jam@tigger.ws <mailto:jam@tigger.ws>> wrote:
>

> > On 15 May 2020, at 2:10 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org
> <mailto:mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for your answer. I don't have the knowledge base to
> attempt this
> > myself. I'm at the point, since Apple will not update OS X
> beyond High
> > Sierra on my version of Macbook, of just installing Ubuntu on my
> > Macbook. My main PC is running Ubuntu and the Macbook is just for
> > mobility.? If I could find a Linux recipe program to replace
> MacGourmet
> > then I could switch all my platforms to Ubuntu.
>
> Jim
> I'm quite anti apple but macbooks runnning osx make much better
> use of the hardware than linux.
> What works well is to run a fullscreeb vm
> If you have a retina display then parallels scaled is better than
> VirtualBox. Also parallels disk performace is nearer the native
> 2000 odd MB/s.
>
> But mythfrontend works nicely in both. I've tried both 30 and 31
>
> James
>

> So I managed to get a High Sierra VM up and running. What version of
> Xcode do y'all have running?  I tried 10 and just got the you're
> computer is too old for this version of Xcode message.
>
> BTW, I'm doing all of this work on a 5 year old laptop (which still
> supports Catalina).  What year were your "ancient" mac put out? I'm
> beginning to think you should either abandon the old HW or just move
> over to Linux :)

Mine is early 2011 Macbook Pro, OS X High Sierra 10.13.6. High as I can
go. When I have to use it for a Mythtv FE, I have been using Kodi.

Jim A
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]

> Mine is early 2011 Macbook Pro, OS X High Sierra 10.13.6. High as I can
> go. When I have to use it for a Mythtv FE, I have been using Kodi.
>
> Jim A

Not as old as I would have thought.

I found out that Xcode 10.0 installs in High Sierra. I'm going to try out
the ansible based install and see if I can get an app made.
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
> On 15 May 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>> On 15 May 2020, at 2:10 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your answer. I don't have the knowledge base to attempt this
>>> myself. I'm at the point, since Apple will not update OS X beyond High
>>> Sierra on my version of Macbook, of just installing Ubuntu on my
>>> Macbook. My main PC is running Ubuntu and the Macbook is just for
>>> mobility.? If I could find a Linux recipe program to replace MacGourmet
>>> then I could switch all my platforms to Ubuntu.
>>
>> Jim
>> I'm quite anti apple but macbooks runnning osx make much better use of the
>> hardware than linux.
>> What works well is to run a fullscreeb vm
>> If you have a retina display then parallels scaled is better than
>> VirtualBox. Also parallels disk performace is nearer the native 2000 odd
>> MB/s.
>>
>> But mythfrontend works nicely in both. I've tried both 30 and 31
>>
>> James
>>

> So I managed to get a High Sierra VM up and running. What version of Xcode
> do y'all have running? I tried 10 and just got the you're computer is too
> old for this version of Xcode message.
>
> BTW, I'm doing all of this work on a 5 year old laptop (which still
> supports Catalina). What year were your "ancient" mac put out? I'm
> beginning to think you should either abandon the old HW or just move over
> to Linux :)

Old, but not new, macbook pro could get most hardware running and if you give up the osx trackpad handling, and accept a hotter keyboard
(osx sleeps unused cores, linux throttles them. Their way runs coooler) then I agree with John that linux makes a very nice machine.

John XCode SDK I use on high sierra is 10.1

James

Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/20 6:28 PM, jam@tigger.ws wrote:

>> On 15 May 2020, at 2:10 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your answer. I don't have the knowledge base to attempt this
>> myself. I'm at the point, since Apple will not update OS X beyond High
>> Sierra on my version of Macbook, of just installing Ubuntu on my
>> Macbook. My main PC is running Ubuntu and the Macbook is just for
>> mobility.? If I could find a Linux recipe program to replace MacGourmet
>> then I could switch all my platforms to Ubuntu.
> Jim
> I'm quite anti apple but macbooks runnning osx make much better use of the hardware than linux.
> What works well is to run a fullscreeb vm
> If you have a retina display then parallels scaled is better than VirtualBox. Also parallels disk performace is nearer the native 2000 odd MB/s.
>
> But mythfrontend works nicely in both. I've tried both 30 and 31
>
> James

All this discussion along with other apps aging out on my 2011 Macbook
has me thinking about a hardware upgrade. I've always liked the quality
of Apple hardware.  Not sure if that's still the case 9 years later
though. I know it's expensive.

Because I have a Samsung Galaxy phone, I get tons of emails about the
latest with Samsung and see they have a new 2 in 1 Galaxy Book Flex with
impressive specs, but it's a Windows 10 machine. Windows supports the
applications I need once I buy them, but what about Mythfrontend? I
don't think that works on Windows. I guess I could use Kodi?

Jim A

Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
> On May 14, 2020, at 11:01 PM, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So I managed to get a High Sierra VM up and running. What version of Xcode do y'all have running? I tried 10 and just got the you're computer is too old for this version of Xcode message.

John:

See:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/XcodeVersionInfo <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/XcodeVersionInfo>

High Sierra is 10.13. Xcode versions from 9.0 to 10.1 will work.

Craig
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]

> John:
>
> See:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/XcodeVersionInfo
>
> High Sierra is 10.13. Xcode versions from 9.0 to 10.1 will work.
>
> Craig

Thanks Craig! I have Xcode 10 chugging with ansible currently on the big
port install. We'll see if it gets through that then qt.

~John
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
Fixed the subject for you!
Regards

Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
I got it compiled and working on my system. The app works on both High
Sierra and Catalina. High Sierra has what I'd expect for playback.
Catalina behaves the same (i.e. only plays in a quarter of the screen for
480p videos). I suspect there's a bug hidden in modern VideoToolbox
versions.

I've uploaded the file here and will be updating the forum and wiki posts
soon:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.4-v31.0-40-gce23a0225fv31.dmg/download

I will also be removing the files from my dropbox account.

Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
> On May 15, 2020, at 3:50 PM, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I got it compiled and working on my system. The app works on both High Sierra and Catalina. High Sierra has what I'd expect for playback. Catalina behaves the same (i.e. only plays in a quarter of the screen for 480p videos). I suspect there's a bug hidden in modern VideoToolbox versions.
>
> I've uploaded the file here and will be updating the forum and wiki posts soon:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.4-v31.0-40-gce23a0225fv31.dmg/download <https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.4-v31.0-40-gce23a0225fv31.dmg/download>
>
> I will also be removing the files from my dropbox account.

I downloaded mythfrontend v31 for High Sierra and have it working. A small lipsync issue, but not much else wrong. I have a questions about installing as an app so it can be put in the Dock. To launch it now I have to open the .dmg and then click on the mythfrontend icon.

Any way to just have an icon in applications?

Jim A
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]

> I downloaded mythfrontend v31 for High Sierra and have it working. A small
> lipsync issue, but not much else wrong. I have a questions about
> installing as an app so it can be put in the Dock. To launch it now I have
> to open the .dmg and then click on the mythfrontend icon.
>
> Any way to just have an icon in applications?
>
> Jim A

Jim, did you copy the app to the /Applications folder? I was able to just
drag and drop from the mounted .dmg.

...I had issues on High Sierra with the icon when I compiled but found it
was good to go when I installed on my production system.
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
Jim Abernathy
jfabernathy@gmail.com

> On May 15, 2020, at 7:48 PM, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I downloaded mythfrontend v31 for High Sierra and have it working. A small lipsync issue, but not much else wrong. I have a questions about installing as an app so it can be put in the Dock. To launch it now I have to open the .dmg and then click on the mythfrontend icon.
>
> Any way to just have an icon in applications?
>
> Jim A
>
> Jim, did you copy the app to the /Applications folder? I was able to just drag and drop from the mounted .dmg.
>
> ...I had issues on High Sierra with the icon when I compiled but found it was good to go when I installed on my production system.

Copying to Application folder fixed it. Plus I changed the video profile to videotoobox decode only and the video got very good with no lip sync problems.

Thanks,

Jim A
I got it compiled and working on my system.  The app works on both High Sierra and Catalina.  High Sierra has what I'd expect for playback.  Catalina behaves the same (i.e. only plays in a quarter of the screen for 480p videos).  I suspect there's a bug hidden in modern VideoToolbox versions.

I've uploaded the file here and will be updating the forum and wiki posts soon:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.4-v31.0-40-gce23a0225fv31.dmg/download

I will also be removing the files from my dropbox account.
Thank you so much for all the hard work you've put into getting this working for both Catalina and High Sierra, especially as I'm not a fan of Kodi as a MythTV frontend.

I have managed to get it working full screen on my 2014 MacBook Pro (Catalina) with these settings:

Video Playback Profile = opengl-rgba
    VideoToolbox acceleration & OpenGL Hardware

        Decoder = VideoToolbox acceleration

        Max CPUs = 1

        Deblocking filter = yes

        Video renderer = OpenGL Hardware

        Deinterlacer quality (single rate) = High quality

            Prefer OpenGL deinterlacers = yes

            Prefer driver deinterlacers = yes

        Deinterlacer quality (single rate) = Medium quality

            Prefer OpenGL deinterlacers = yes

            Prefer driver deinterlacers = yes

Mac OS X Video Settings

    Enable gamma correction for video = yes

    Scale video as necessary = yes

    Frames to skip in fullscreen mode = 0

    Video in floating window = no

    Video in main window = yes

        Frames to skip = 0

        Opacity = 100

    Video in the dock = no

    Video on the desktop = no

Regards,

Dave.
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]

> I have managed to get it working full screen on my 2014 MacBook Pro
> (Catalina) with these settings:
>

> Video Playback Profile = opengl-rgba
> VideoToolbox acceleration & OpenGL Hardware
>
> Decoder = VideoToolbox acceleration
>
> Max CPUs = 1
>
> Deblocking filter = yes
>
> Video renderer = OpenGL Hardware
>
> Deinterlacer quality (single rate) = High quality
>
> Prefer OpenGL deinterlacers = yes
>
> Prefer driver deinterlacers = yes
>
> Deinterlacer quality (single rate) = Medium quality
>
> Prefer OpenGL deinterlacers = yes
>
> Prefer driver deinterlacers = yes
>
> Mac OS X Video Settings
>
> Enable gamma correction for video = yes
>
> Scale video as necessary = yes
>
> Frames to skip in fullscreen mode = 0
>
> Video in floating window = no
>
> Video in main window = yes
>
> Frames to skip = 0
>
> Opacity = 100
>
> Video in the dock = no
>
> Video on the desktop = no

Thanks Dave!

Unfortunately, with these settings I still get the quarter screen playback
(480 video only, 1080 works great). I'm beginning to think is retina
screen issue. Craig drop some ideas of things to try on the forum, so I'll
play around with that this weekend.
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]

> Thanks Dave!
>
> Unfortunately, with these settings I still get the quarter screen playback
> (480 video only, 1080 works great). I'm beginning to think is retina
> screen issue. Craig drop some ideas of things to try on the forum, so I'll
> play around with that this weekend.

Craig solved the problem with retina screens.

In the finder right click the applications and select "Get info" (or select
the app and hit CMD+i). These's a check box for "Open in Low Resolution".
Make sure that's checked and you're done!

Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 11:27 AM Dave Pearson (Lists) <
lists@the-pearsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, I discovered that it only works for my 720p h264 recordings,
> everything else, so far reverts to 1/4 size. I’ll have to play around a bit
> more.
>
> Dave

To be clear, this is after you do the get info -> "Open in Low Resolution"
trick?

It worked on my install with all videos that I've tried.

...If I can't figure out the magic Info.plist entries, I'll push out an
updated app. Been tearing my hair out on this one for a while (...the app
seems to like to reset the setting when copying into or out of the .dmg...).
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
On 16 May 2020, at 16:42, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

?
On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 11:27 AM Dave Pearson (Lists) <lists@the-pearsons.co.uk <mailto:lists@the-pearsons.co.uk> > wrote:
Yes, I discovered that it only works for my 720p h264 recordings, everything else, so far reverts to 1/4 size. I’ll have to play around a bit more.

Dave

To be clear, this is after you do the get info ->  "Open in Low Resolution" trick?

It worked on my install with all videos that I've tried.

...If I can't figure out the magic Info.plist entries, I'll push out an updated app.  Been tearing my hair out on this one for a while (...the app seems to like to reset the setting when copying into or out of the .dmg...).

No, I saw that after I replied to your message, will be giving the “Open in Low Resolution” trick shortly.

Dave
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
> No, I saw that after I replied to your message, will be giving the “Open
> in Low Resolution” trick shortly.
>

> Dave

Just pushed to Sourceforge a new build that has the “Open in Low
Resolution” set by default.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-ce23a0225f.dmg/download
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.6-v31-ce23a0225f.dmg/download>

It also includes the files necessary to run some plugins (e.g. mythmusic,
mythgame) BUT I couldn't figure out how to get them working in the app.

I'd really appreciate it if someone took a look and figured out the magic
commands to get mythfrontend to see the plugins.
Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]

> John your new dmg did not work for me
> Install did not set the low resolution flag, but even setting it by hand
>
> [plasma] /Users/jam [510]% md5
> /Volumes/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.4-v31.0-40-gce23a0225fv31/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
> MD5
> (/Volumes/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.4-v31.0-40-gce23a0225fv31/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend)
> = a07638318389a3600b4b47b6ac9ac999
>
> http://tigger.ws/downloads/mythpic1.png
> http://tigger.ws/downloads/mythpic2.png
>
> James

James, at this point, I'm not sure what next to suggest for your issues. I
have opened a ticket in trac about the problem, I would suggest adding
details of your system to include the mac model, retina screen, and display
settings.

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13618

BTW, on the forums it was suggested (I believe by Craig) to look into the
display settings of your computer (Preferences -> Displays). Possible by
changing to scaled or some other setting things will work. I did not try
this route myself as the low res fix worked on my antiquated system.

Finally, your last post kicked out the digest subject line again. Please
fix that.

Re: mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6 [ In reply to ]
> On 17 May 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> John your new dmg did not work for me
>> Install did not set the low resolution flag, but even setting it by hand
>>
>> [plasma] /Users/jam [510]% md5
>> /Volumes/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.4-v31.0-40-gce23a0225fv31/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
>> MD5
>> (/Volumes/MythFrontend-31-intel-10.13.4-v31.0-40-gce23a0225fv31/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend)
>> = a07638318389a3600b4b47b6ac9ac999
>>
>> http://tigger.ws/downloads/mythpic1.png
>> http://tigger.ws/downloads/mythpic2.png
>>
>> James
>>

> James, at this point, I'm not sure what next to suggest for your issues. I
> have opened a ticket in trac about the problem, I would suggest adding
> details of your system to include the mac model, retina screen, and display
> settings.
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13618
>
> BTW, on the forums it was suggested (I believe by Craig) to look into the
> display settings of your computer (Preferences -> Displays). Possible by
> changing to scaled or some other setting things will work. I did not try
> this route myself as the low res fix worked on my antiquated system.
>
> Finally, your last post kicked out the digest subject line again. Please
> fix that.

John

I've got lots to learn.
I built, with your ansible script, in a new VM
I took mythtv-31 and (sensibly) copied to my laptop.
I ran it by cli and every thing 'worked' without sig 11. So the basic build is good.

I cannot figure this out (identical to your build)
I have configured seperate GUI and VIDEO resolutions that are sensible.
I 'launch' the app

http://tigger.ws/downloads/mythpic3.png

I play a recording

http://tigger.ws/downloads/mythpic4.png