ie python-futures vs python3-futures
maybe a role that includes the current opensuse for 30 and a new very similar one for 31
James
Re: ansible [ In reply to ]
On 5/13/20 1:45 AM, jam@tigger.ws wrote:
> The trouble with the way we are using ansible is that there is no concept of versioning

Sure there is. Or, more correctly, there can be.

> I take opensuse as an example, but it applys to all distros

Correct, as it's written now. The MythTV ansible playbook starts by using the
distribution's package manager, which could be used by multiple distributions.
Versioning is applied in the tasks (etc.) in the role below.

> ansible gathers all the correct bits to build 30 but not to build 31.
> ie python-futures vs python3-futures

Detail from actual users is helpful.

What's the output of these (they're not all important here, but I just happened to
have them from the recent OSX updates.):

ansible --module-name setup --args 'filter=ansible_distribution' localhost
ansible --module-name setup --args 'filter=ansible_lsb' localhost
ansible --module-name setup --args 'filter=ansible_pkg_mgr' localhost
ansible --module-name setup --args 'filter=ansible_distribution_major_version' localhost

The goal here is to find things unique about the version of interest. Then, the
names of the packages for that version are needed. [.Imagine if everyone used the
same names for packages, like that's ever going to happen]

> maybe a role that includes the current opensuse for 30 and a new very similar one for 31
Using per-version roles is possible, but not in use, currently. The existing playlist
allows for things that are common to multiple versions to be easily shared. Which,
per your input, isn't the case here.

--
Bill
Re: ansible [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2020 13:15, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 5/13/20 1:45 AM, jam@tigger.ws wrote:
>> The trouble with the way we are using ansible is that there is no
>> concept of versioning
>
> Sure there is. Or, more correctly, there can be.
>
>> I take opensuse as an example, but it applys to all distros
>
> Correct, as it's written now. The MythTV ansible playbook starts by
> using the
> distribution's package manager, which could be used by multiple
> distributions.
> Versioning is applied in the tasks (etc.) in the role below.

We would have to setup branches in the ansible repo, to align with
our branches, and then install the appropriate packages for the
distro it's being run on.

The original reason for writing the ansible playbooks was to setup
all the required dependencies for buildbot workers.

Regards
Stuart

Re: Ansible [ In reply to ]
> On 1 Nov 2022, at 10:42 am, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 2:32 AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>>
>> To the ansible gods:
>>
>> Poitr has been trying to help me with MiniMyth on a rockpi.
>>
>> The image he gave me to day is MASTER while my BE is 32, so I did a quick build of a master be on SuSE tumbleweed.
>> Ansible used to give me errors (IIRC python-module missing) that is now fixed.
>> But .. it hung installing the first list. I grabed that list and manually installed
>> Ansible now completes (2nd list is qt stuff)
>> Make exits with an error in ffmpeg stuff.
>> I’m heavily side tracked on other things so I’ve not looked at what cound be wrong. I have and do build fixes/32 without any problems.
>
> Tumbleweed, as a rolling release, can introduce new
> issues on an (almost) daily basis.
>
> There is an issue/PR for the ansible repo to add CI that
> could be expanded (using the schedule option of github
> actions) that could be used to help identify such
> issues should the project choose to consider it.

I used tumbleweed just because. I’ll redo with ubuntu right now.
To earlier question I did pull today!
Cheers n thanks
James

Re: Ansible [ In reply to ]
> On 1 Nov 2022, at 11:32 am, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On 1 Nov 2022, at 10:42 am, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 2:32 AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>>>
>>> To the ansible gods:
>>>
>>> Poitr has been trying to help me with MiniMyth on a rockpi.
>>>
>>> The image he gave me to day is MASTER while my BE is 32, so I did a quick build of a master be on SuSE tumbleweed.
>>> Ansible used to give me errors (IIRC python-module missing) that is now fixed.
>>> But .. it hung installing the first list. I grabed that list and manually installed
>>> Ansible now completes (2nd list is qt stuff)
>>> Make exits with an error in ffmpeg stuff.
>>> I’m heavily side tracked on other things so I’ve not looked at what cound be wrong. I have and do build fixes/32 without any problems.
>>
>> Tumbleweed, as a rolling release, can introduce new
>> issues on an (almost) daily basis.
>>
>> There is an issue/PR for the ansible repo to add CI that
>> could be expanded (using the schedule option of github
>> actions) that could be used to help identify such
>> issues should the project choose to consider it.
>
> I used tumbleweed just because. I’ll redo with ubuntu right now.
> To earlier question I did pull today!
> Cheers n thanks
> James

I built for ubuntu 2204 where all went perfectly
James

Re: ansible [ In reply to ]
> On 18 Aug 2023, at 10:37 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The good news is that for Ubuntu 22.04 you don't need to build mythtv or use ansible. Just:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/xx # where xx is a release number like 32 or 33. Even master can be installed use 34
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt install mythtv # for the complete FE/BE combo or see the Ubuntu mythtv wiki for other options.

Jim I really appreciate the advice - thanks - but I'd really prefer to build.

I can, at my whim pull and update
I really don't like the bizare passwords, it makes it hard for me and I'm certain my wife is not going to hack mythtv.
I (for stupid reasons) do not like mythtv as a user.

I thought if "everybody" uses ubuntu then ubuntu was a safe bet (and the anal bits like dmesg and pico can be tamed, even in visudo)
It may be easier to change distro for something less 'user friendly', since like thee my first unix system had a massive 100K of ram and gigantic 15M hard disk, and user-friendly is a rude word

James