Mailing List Archive

Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 206, Issue 20
> On 12 May 2020, at 7:09 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> I managed to find some settings that worked on my MacBook Pro, so very pleased with that.

Pray say what you did

> Unfortunately this new frontend won't work on High Sierra on my (very) old iMac:

John no rest for the weary! but if (and I tried, and my compile failss) you were able to build a high sierra app that would be highly appreciated.

I posted the entire digest.
Problem between keyboad and seat!
I appologise sincerely
James
Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 206, Issue 20 [ In reply to ]
> On May 12, 2020, at 7:37 AM, jam@tigger.ws <jameslinder0@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately this new frontend won't work on High Sierra on my (very) old iMac:
>
> John no rest for the weary! but if (and I tried, and my compile failss) you were able to build a high sierra app that would be highly appreciated.

John has already done most of the heavy lifting. Maybe _someone_ wants a High Sierra build, who has a High Sierra machine, could use John’s process to make a High Sierra version.

Hint: Qt5 is a problem. John is using a very recent Qt5 version that, I believe, only works on macOS 10.14 and 10.15. The Qt5 releases for the last few years all are similarly restricted to the then-current OS versions. Which is, of course, ‘just delightful’ from a packager’s perspective.

Craig

Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 206, Issue 20 [ In reply to ]
> On 13 May 2020, at 2:45 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>

>>> Unfortunately this new frontend won't work on High Sierra on my (very) old iMac:
>>
>> John no rest for the weary! but if (and I tried, and my compile failss) you were able to build a high sierra app that would be highly appreciated.
>
> John has already done most of the heavy lifting. Maybe _someone_ wants a High Sierra build, who has a High Sierra machine, could use John?s process to make a High Sierra version.
>
> Hint: Qt5 is a problem. John is using a very recent Qt5 version that, I believe, only works on macOS 10.14 and 10.15. The Qt5 releases for the last few years all are similarly restricted to the then-current OS versions. Which is, of course, ?just delightful? from a packager?s perspective.

My attempts to use Johns build script fail on catelina and high sierra at the same point, looking for
ff_codec_id_string
I will try using the ansible setup.
Craig does the build script work for you?
Maybe one of my macport install messes the build. I'll also try building in a fresh VM
James

PS I built a trivial app for windows using QT. The dozen users made me learn more about. windows than I ever wanted to know. I have great empathy for John
Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 206, Issue 20 [ In reply to ]

> My attempts to use Johns build script fail on catelina and high sierra at
> the same point, looking for
> ff_codec_id_string
> I will try using the ansible setup.
> Craig does the build script work for you?
> Maybe one of my macport install messes the build. I'll also try building
> in a fresh VM
> James
>
> PS I built a trivial app for windows using QT. The dozen users made me
> learn more about. windows than I ever wanted to know. I have great empathy
> for John

Can you post your configure output? I probably missed a port. I had
thought I tested in a clean mythtv environment, but I made some many builds
and configurations over the past few weeks it's all blending.
Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 206, Issue 20 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 6:16 AM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> My attempts to use Johns build script fail on catelina and high sierra at
>> the same point, looking for
>> ff_codec_id_string
>> I will try using the ansible setup.
>> Craig does the build script work for you?
>> Maybe one of my macport install messes the build. I'll also try building
>> in a fresh VM
>> James
>>
>> PS I built a trivial app for windows using QT. The dozen users made me
>> learn more about. windows than I ever wanted to know. I have great empathy
>> for John
>>

> Can you post your configure output? I probably missed a port. I had
> thought I tested in a clean mythtv environment, but I made some many builds
> and configurations over the past few weeks it's all blending.

Also, can you copy and paste the exact error for ff_codec_id_string?
Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 206, Issue 20 [ In reply to ]
> On 13 May 2020, at 2:45 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>> Unfortunately this new frontend won't work on High Sierra on my (very) old iMac:
>>
>> John no rest for the weary! but if (and I tried, and my compile failss) you were able to build a high sierra app that would be highly appreciated.
>
> John has already done most of the heavy lifting. Maybe _someone_ wants a High Sierra build, who has a High Sierra machine, could use John?s process to make a High Sierra version.
>
> Hint: Qt5 is a problem. John is using a very recent Qt5 version that, I believe, only works on macOS 10.14 and 10.15. The Qt5 releases for the last few years all are similarly restricted to the then-current OS versions. Which is, of course, ?just delightful? from a packager?s perspective.

Mac’s sw environment is almost as strange to me as windows is. Please forgive my naivity

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/macos.html

Says you can build on 10.15 (catelina) and deploy on 10.14 or 10.13 (High Sierra).
Is that not a path to explore for our use.
John says he will post an ansible catelina build later, as soon as I can build I will explore options. (10.13 and opengl-rgba)
james
Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 206, Issue 20 [ In reply to ]
> On 13 May 2020, at 2:45 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>> Unfortunately this new frontend won't work on High Sierra on my (very) old iMac:
>>
>> John no rest for the weary! but if (and I tried, and my compile failss) you were able to build a high sierra app that would be highly appreciated.
>
> John has already done most of the heavy lifting. Maybe _someone_ wants a High Sierra build, who has a High Sierra machine, could use John?s process to make a High Sierra version.
>
> Hint: Qt5 is a problem. John is using a very recent Qt5 version that, I believe, only works on macOS 10.14 and 10.15. The Qt5 releases for the last few years all are similarly restricted to the then-current OS versions. Which is, of course, ?just delightful? from a packager?s perspective.

Craig I know I’m naive but QT do say

<quote>

Target Platform Architecture Build Environment
macOS 10.13, 10.14, 10.15 x86_64 and x86_64h Xcode 11 (10.15 SDK)

Build Environment

The build environment on macOS is defined entirely by the Xcode version used to build your application. Xcode contains
both a toolchain (compiler, linker, and other tools), and a macOS platform-SDK (headers and libraries). Together these
define how your application is built.

Note: The version of macOS that you are running Xcode on does not matter. As long as Apple ships a given Xcode version
that runs on your operating system, the build environment will be defined by that Xcode version.
</quote>

ahh I see apple’s fine print
<quote>
Xcode 11 requires a Mac running macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or later.
</quote>

James
Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 206, Issue 20 [ In reply to ]

> Craig I know I’m naive but QT do say
>
> <quote>
>
> Target Platform Architecture Build Environment
> macOS 10.13, 10.14, 10.15 x86_64 and x86_64h Xcode 11
> (10.15 SDK)
>
> Build Environment
>
> The build environment on macOS is defined entirely by the Xcode
> version used to build your application. Xcode contains
> both a toolchain (compiler, linker, and other tools), and a macOS
> platform-SDK (headers and libraries). Together these
> define how your application is built.
>
> Note: The version of macOS that you are running Xcode on does not
> matter. As long as Apple ships a given Xcode version
> that runs on your operating system, the build environment will be
> defined by that Xcode version.
> </quote>
>
> ahh I see apple’s fine print
> <quote>
> Xcode 11 requires a Mac running macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or later.
> </quote>
>
> James

That's a bummer, Catalina shipped with Xcode 11 and I don't believe it's
compatible with Xcode 10.

....you could always go the VM route if you can get your hands on a Mojave
install.
Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 206, Issue 20 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:30 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Craig I know I’m naive but QT do say
>>
>> <quote>
>>
>> Target Platform Architecture Build Environment
>> macOS 10.13, 10.14, 10.15 x86_64 and x86_64h Xcode 11
>> (10.15 SDK)
>>
>> Build Environment
>>
>> The build environment on macOS is defined entirely by the Xcode
>> version used to build your application. Xcode contains
>> both a toolchain (compiler, linker, and other tools), and a macOS
>> platform-SDK (headers and libraries). Together these
>> define how your application is built.
>>
>> Note: The version of macOS that you are running Xcode on does not
>> matter. As long as Apple ships a given Xcode version
>> that runs on your operating system, the build environment will be
>> defined by that Xcode version.
>> </quote>
>>
>> ahh I see apple’s fine print
>> <quote>
>> Xcode 11 requires a Mac running macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or later.
>> </quote>
>>
>> James
>

> That's a bummer, Catalina shipped with Xcode 11 and I don't believe it's
> compatible with Xcode 10.
>
> ....you could always go the VM route if you can get your hands on a Mojave
> install.

Looking over your config file again this AM, one besides the Qt version
being slightly different, another thing that jumps out is your libCEC
doesn't seem to be found by configure

libCEC device support no [/usr/include]

This makes me think that maybe you don't have the macports paths on set in
your .profile/.zprofile.

I have the following lines in both my .profile and .zprofile. Macports
should have done this automagically, but if you have another line trumping
it...

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2020-04-08_at_17:10:32: adding an
appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH

Also, do you have Xcode's command line tools installed? (you should have to
get macports running, but sometimes and update screws that up)..

Can you run the following commands and port the output:

which gcc
which g++
which make

printenv

Given you have a "dirty" source directory, you may want to run a distclean
or delete and repull from git the mythtv src. The tells us
ff_codec_id_strin something went array with building or linking the
external FFMPEG stuff.