During the years of 18.04 I was using other remotes that didn't use lirc or
IR at all. FEs like Shield TV, FireTV, etc.

So now I'm working on putting Mythtv frontend on a Xubuntu 20.04 PC with a
Microsoft MCE remote model 1039. lirc fails to install; seems to be
connected with starting the lircd service core dumping.

So my question is, should I attempt the fixes from the ubuntu 18.04
discussion above or something else??

Jim A
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 May 2020 09:27:15 -0400, you wrote:

>I remember a lot of discussion on getting IR remotes like Microsoft MCE
>remotes to work with Mythtv as Ubuntu moved to 18.04. The discussion is
>archived here:
>https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/624171?search_string=lircd%20failing;#624171
>
>During the years of 18.04 I was using other remotes that didn't use lirc or
>IR at all. FEs like Shield TV, FireTV, etc.
>
>So now I'm working on putting Mythtv frontend on a Xubuntu 20.04 PC with a
>Microsoft MCE remote model 1039. lirc fails to install; seems to be
>connected with starting the lircd service core dumping.
>
>So my question is, should I attempt the fixes from the ubuntu 18.04
>discussion above or something else??
>
>Jim A

As installed on a new 20.04 system, the lirc package does not install
an /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf file. This makes lircd crash when it
is started as part of the package install. The workaround is to copy
the package's /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.dist file to
/etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf after the install fails, and then remove
and reinstall the lirc package. Then the install should complete
without crashing. There is a fix in testing for this, which should
come through as an updated package soon. However, there may be other
problems with the lirc package - the 18.04 lirc package was also
missing a lib file for lirc-setup so it could not be run, and there
were some other problems. Unless those have been fixed in the
interim, they could still be there. I would recommend doing these
commands to make sure the other (unconfigured) services that are
installed by the lirc package are shut down and disabled:

sudo systemctl stop lircmd
sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
sudo systemctl stop irexec
sudo systemctl disable lircmd
sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
sudo systemctl disable irexec

If you need a working config for an MCE remote, that is what I use on
18.04 and the config in 20.04 does not seem to have changed, so I
could put mine on my web server for you. In 18.04, lircd itself was
fully functional as installed by the package, and if that is also the
same in 20.04, manually installing a config should make it work.

The fix script I did for 18.04 is not likely to work for 20.04,
unfortunately, as it downloads the lirc source package and compiles
it. If you wanted to try it, you would have to change all the
references to 18.04 to 20.04, and then it might work. I have only got
20.04 on a virtual machine at the moment, so it does not have any way
to run an IR remote for me to test with. I am intending to update my
script as soon as I upgrade my laptop to 20.04, but that will not
happen until 20.04.1 is available (June?) so that I can do an LTS to
LTS upgrade.
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:09 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> As installed on a new 20.04 system, the lirc package does not install
> an /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf file. This makes lircd crash when it
> is started as part of the package install. The workaround is to copy
> the package's /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.dist file to
> /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf after the install fails, and then remove
> and reinstall the lirc package. Then the install should complete
> without crashing. There is a fix in testing for this, which should
> come through as an updated package soon. However, there may be other
> problems with the lirc package - the 18.04 lirc package was also
> missing a lib file for lirc-setup so it could not be run, and there
> were some other problems. Unless those have been fixed in the
> interim, they could still be there. I would recommend doing these
> commands to make sure the other (unconfigured) services that are
> installed by the lirc package are shut down and disabled:
>
> sudo systemctl stop lircmd
> sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
> sudo systemctl stop irexec
> sudo systemctl disable lircmd
> sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
> sudo systemctl disable irexec
>
> If you need a working config for an MCE remote, that is what I use on
> 18.04 and the config in 20.04 does not seem to have changed, so I
> could put mine on my web server for you. In 18.04, lircd itself was
> fully functional as installed by the package, and if that is also the
> same in 20.04, manually installing a config should make it work.
>
> The fix script I did for 18.04 is not likely to work for 20.04,
> unfortunately, as it downloads the lirc source package and compiles
> it. If you wanted to try it, you would have to change all the
> references to 18.04 to 20.04, and then it might work. I have only got
> 20.04 on a virtual machine at the moment, so it does not have any way
> to run an IR remote for me to test with. I am intending to update my
> script as soon as I upgrade my laptop to 20.04, but that will not
> happen until 20.04.1 is available (June?) so that I can do an LTS to
> LTS upgrade.

First, thanks for the help. This system I'm playing with is a development
system that I'm using to learn how stable 20.04 is at this point. It has a
lot of issues that need to be fixed. So I'm not concerned if I have to
blow everything away and reinstall.

At this point I modified your 18.04 script to use lirc 10.1 instead of
10.0. So the script is doing something.

I just did your sequence of systemctl commands and moved my IR receiver to
another port and now it's visible with lsusb.

So I have mythfrontend using the MCE remote, but I'm missing functions.
Right now only the direction arrows are working. No "select/enter" and no
stop or pause or play.

It maybe all I need is a configuration file for my model 1039 MCE remote???

Jim A
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 May 2020 11:40:02 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:09 AM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>

>> As installed on a new 20.04 system, the lirc package does not install
>> an /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf file. This makes lircd crash when it
>> is started as part of the package install. The workaround is to copy
>> the package's /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.dist file to
>> /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf after the install fails, and then remove
>> and reinstall the lirc package. Then the install should complete
>> without crashing. There is a fix in testing for this, which should
>> come through as an updated package soon. However, there may be other
>> problems with the lirc package - the 18.04 lirc package was also
>> missing a lib file for lirc-setup so it could not be run, and there
>> were some other problems. Unless those have been fixed in the
>> interim, they could still be there. I would recommend doing these
>> commands to make sure the other (unconfigured) services that are
>> installed by the lirc package are shut down and disabled:
>>
>> sudo systemctl stop lircmd
>> sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
>> sudo systemctl stop irexec
>> sudo systemctl disable lircmd
>> sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
>> sudo systemctl disable irexec
>>
>> If you need a working config for an MCE remote, that is what I use on
>> 18.04 and the config in 20.04 does not seem to have changed, so I
>> could put mine on my web server for you. In 18.04, lircd itself was
>> fully functional as installed by the package, and if that is also the
>> same in 20.04, manually installing a config should make it work.
>>
>> The fix script I did for 18.04 is not likely to work for 20.04,
>> unfortunately, as it downloads the lirc source package and compiles
>> it. If you wanted to try it, you would have to change all the
>> references to 18.04 to 20.04, and then it might work. I have only got
>> 20.04 on a virtual machine at the moment, so it does not have any way
>> to run an IR remote for me to test with. I am intending to update my
>> script as soon as I upgrade my laptop to 20.04, but that will not
>> happen until 20.04.1 is available (June?) so that I can do an LTS to
>> LTS upgrade.
>>

>First, thanks for the help. This system I'm playing with is a development
>system that I'm using to learn how stable 20.04 is at this point. It has a
>lot of issues that need to be fixed. So I'm not concerned if I have to
>blow everything away and reinstall.
>
>At this point I modified your 18.04 script to use lirc 10.1 instead of
>10.0. So the script is doing something.
>
>I just did your sequence of systemctl commands and moved my IR receiver to
>another port and now it's visible with lsusb.
>
>So I have mythfrontend using the MCE remote, but I'm missing functions.
>Right now only the direction arrows are working. No "select/enter" and no
>stop or pause or play.
>
>It maybe all I need is a configuration file for my model 1039 MCE remote???
>
>Jim A

Only having the arrow keys working is the normal symptom of lirc not
working at all and mythfrontend getting keystrokes directly from the
devinput driver. The arrow keys are normally the only ones that are
mapped to something that mythfrontend responds to. Maybe the number
keys will also work. I would suggest trying the irw program to see if
there is any output from the lirc socket when you press a remote
button. I am guessing that there will be nothing.
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM Stephen Worthington <
> [...]

> >another port and now it's visible with lsusb.
> >
> >So I have mythfrontend using the MCE remote, but I'm missing functions.
> >Right now only the direction arrows are working. No "select/enter" and
> no
> >stop or pause or play.
> >
> >It maybe all I need is a configuration file for my model 1039 MCE
> remote???
> >
> >Jim A
>
> Only having the arrow keys working is the normal symptom of lirc not
> working at all and mythfrontend getting keystrokes directly from the
> devinput driver. The arrow keys are normally the only ones that are
> mapped to something that mythfrontend responds to. Maybe the number
> keys will also work. I would suggest trying the irw program to see if
> there is any output from the lirc socket when you press a remote
> button. I am guessing that there will be nothing.

Since I am having other issues with 20.04 like it crashing and sending a
dump to Ubuntu every boot, I thought I'd blow it all away and go back to
18.04.
So my question now is do I just download your lirc build script and run
it? Then what files to I need to include for MCE USB model 1039 to work
properly??

Jim A
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]

> First, thanks for the help. This system I'm playing with is a development
> system that I'm using to learn how stable 20.04 is at this point. It has a
> lot of issues that need to be fixed. So I'm not concerned if I have to
> blow everything away and reinstall.
>
> At this point I modified your 18.04 script to use lirc 10.1 instead of
> 10.0. So the script is doing something.
>
> I just did your sequence of systemctl commands and moved my IR receiver to
> another port and now it's visible with lsusb.
>
> So I have mythfrontend using the MCE remote, but I'm missing functions.
> Right now only the direction arrows are working. No "select/enter" and no
> stop or pause or play.
>
> It maybe all I need is a configuration file for my model 1039 MCE remote???

Unless you are IR blasting as well as receiving or need to do something
more specialized with irexec in response to remote input (e.g. run external
scripts), why mess with lirc at all for a MCE remote / receiver?

Using ir-keytable (
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:IR_control_via_evdev), it emulates
a keyboard in response to remote input perfectly well once configured
without all the quirks of lirc.
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 May 2020 13:10:26 -0400, you wrote:

>Unless you are IR blasting as well as receiving or need to do something
>more specialized with irexec in response to remote input (e.g. run external
>scripts), why mess with lirc at all for a MCE remote / receiver?
>
>Using ir-keytable (
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:IR_control_via_evdev), it emulates
>a keyboard in response to remote input perfectly well once configured
>without all the quirks of lirc.

There are all sorts of good reasons to use lirc. The number one
reason is that it can be used with many different programs as well as
MythTV, such as vlc or mplayer or your favourite 10 foot interface
music player program. If you use a customised ir-keytable setup, the
keystrokes have to be customised for only MythTV and will not match
the keystrokes used for any other program. I use MythTV and mplayer
and occasionally Kodi on the same system.

Lirc also gives you control over autorepeat, which I find very useful.
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 May 2020 13:07:55 -0400, you wrote:

>Since I am having other issues with 20.04 like it crashing and sending a
>dump to Ubuntu every boot, I thought I'd blow it all away and go back to
>18.04.
>So my question now is do I just download your lirc build script and run
>it? Then what files to I need to include for MCE USB model 1039 to work
>properly??
>
>Jim A

To install lirc properly on 18.04, do not bother to install the lirc
package, just download and run my script and let it set everything up
properly.

After that, while MCE remotes are well supported, they are not all
exactly the same, so I do not know exactly what an "MCE USB model
1039" is. MCE remotes can have different numbers of buttons, and they
can be differently labeled for different functions. My ancient
Hauppauge MCE remote is certainly different from the ones I saw
advertised when I went looking last year. The common thing between
MCE remotes is that they all use the RC6 IR protocol, and tend to have
a similar set of buttons for their basic buttons. But it is likely
that unless someone has already done the work, you will need to
customise some of the config files to make all your buttons work
properly.

To make mine work, I needed to create a customised
/etc/rc_keymap/rc6_mce file and configure that to be loaded by editing
the /etc/rc_maps.cfg file. Then I needed to make a small change to
the /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/devinput.lircd.conf file to make its name
match the one in my $(HOME)/.lirc/mythtv file. And then I customised
the $(HOME)/.lirc/mythtv file to make all the functions I wanted be
available on the remote buttons I have, such as changing the Power
button to do the O command (list upcoming recordings), instead of
doing a shutdown or reboot of the PC.

I also did the same setup for my RC5 Hauppauge remotes, so I can swap
them and my MCE remote as necessary if one of them stops working.

At the time I did this originally, for Ubuntu 16.04, I put all the
config files my web server here:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythbuntu-devinput-lirc.bz2

Of course, I have had to update for the new lirc setup in 18.04, so I
have now put copies of my current files in a new file on my web server
here:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/ubuntu-18.04-devinput-lirc.bz2

I do not have time to write a proper README file to put in the new
archive file at present, but the old archive README and the above
information should give you enough to go on. Have a go at getting it
all installed and ask again if you are having problems.
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> Only having the arrow keys working is the normal symptom of lirc not
> working at all and mythfrontend getting keystrokes directly from the
> devinput driver. The arrow keys are normally the only ones that are
> mapped to something that mythfrontend responds to. Maybe the number
> keys will also work. I would suggest trying the irw program to see if
> there is any output from the lirc socket when you press a remote
> button. I am guessing that there will be nothing.
>
> I ran irw and then pressed a number of buttons on the remote and got this
output:

0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
00000000800100cf 00 KEY_PLAY devinput-32
00000000800100cf 00 KEY_PLAY devinput-32
0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
0000000080010080 00 KEY_STOP devinput-32
0000000080010077 00 KEY_PAUSE devinput-32
0000000080010197 00 KEY_NEXT devinput-32
000000008001019c 00 KEY_PREVIOUS devinput-32
00000000800100ae 00 KEY_EXIT devinput-32
000000008001006a 00 KEY_RIGHT devinput-32
0000000080010067 00 KEY_UP devinput-32
0000000080010069 00 KEY_LEFT devinput-32
000000008001006c 00 KEY_DOWN devinput-32
0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
0000000080010201 00 KEY_NUMERIC_1 devinput-32
0000000080010202 00 KEY_NUMERIC_2 devinput-32
0000000080010203 00 KEY_NUMERIC_3 devinput-32
0000000080010204 00 KEY_NUMERIC_4 devinput-32
0000000080010205 00 KEY_NUMERIC_5 devinput-32
0000000080010206 00 KEY_NUMERIC_6 devinput-32
0000000080010207 00 KEY_NUMERIC_7 devinput-32
0000000080010208 00 KEY_NUMERIC_8 devinput-32
0000000080010209 00 KEY_NUMERIC_9 devinput-32
000000008001020a 00 KEY_NUMERIC_STAR devinput-32
000000008001020b 00 KEY_NUMERIC_POUND devinput-32
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 May 2020 14:36:19 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>

>> Only having the arrow keys working is the normal symptom of lirc not
>> working at all and mythfrontend getting keystrokes directly from the
>> devinput driver. The arrow keys are normally the only ones that are
>> mapped to something that mythfrontend responds to. Maybe the number
>> keys will also work. I would suggest trying the irw program to see if
>> there is any output from the lirc socket when you press a remote
>> button. I am guessing that there will be nothing.
>>
>> I ran irw and then pressed a number of buttons on the remote and got this
>output:
>
> 0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
>00000000800100cf 00 KEY_PLAY devinput-32
>00000000800100cf 00 KEY_PLAY devinput-32
>0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
>0000000080010080 00 KEY_STOP devinput-32
>0000000080010077 00 KEY_PAUSE devinput-32
>0000000080010197 00 KEY_NEXT devinput-32
>000000008001019c 00 KEY_PREVIOUS devinput-32
>00000000800100ae 00 KEY_EXIT devinput-32
>000000008001006a 00 KEY_RIGHT devinput-32
>0000000080010067 00 KEY_UP devinput-32
>0000000080010069 00 KEY_LEFT devinput-32
>000000008001006c 00 KEY_DOWN devinput-32
>0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
>0000000080010201 00 KEY_NUMERIC_1 devinput-32
>0000000080010202 00 KEY_NUMERIC_2 devinput-32
>0000000080010203 00 KEY_NUMERIC_3 devinput-32
>0000000080010204 00 KEY_NUMERIC_4 devinput-32
>0000000080010205 00 KEY_NUMERIC_5 devinput-32
>0000000080010206 00 KEY_NUMERIC_6 devinput-32
>0000000080010207 00 KEY_NUMERIC_7 devinput-32
>0000000080010208 00 KEY_NUMERIC_8 devinput-32
>0000000080010209 00 KEY_NUMERIC_9 devinput-32
>000000008001020a 00 KEY_NUMERIC_STAR devinput-32
>000000008001020b 00 KEY_NUMERIC_POUND devinput-32

OK, your remote is using the name devinput-32 instead of devinput or
devinput-64. Just a name change required to match the name in your
$HOME/.lirc/* files. That is easier than changing the names in all
the entries in the $HOME/.lirc/* files. They are probably using the
name devinput. And your numeric keys are using KEY_NUMERIC_* instead
of the KEY_* used in the $HOME/.lirc/*. There are a few other key
names that will also not match. See the modified rc6_mce file in the
download from my server.
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 2:44 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 May 2020 14:36:19 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> >

> >> Only having the arrow keys working is the normal symptom of lirc not
> >> working at all and mythfrontend getting keystrokes directly from the
> >> devinput driver. The arrow keys are normally the only ones that are
> >> mapped to something that mythfrontend responds to. Maybe the number
> >> keys will also work. I would suggest trying the irw program to see if
> >> there is any output from the lirc socket when you press a remote
> >> button. I am guessing that there will be nothing.
> >>
> >> I ran irw and then pressed a number of buttons on the remote and got
> this
> >output:
> >
> > 0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
> >00000000800100cf 00 KEY_PLAY devinput-32
> >00000000800100cf 00 KEY_PLAY devinput-32
> >0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
> >0000000080010080 00 KEY_STOP devinput-32
> >0000000080010077 00 KEY_PAUSE devinput-32
> >0000000080010197 00 KEY_NEXT devinput-32
> >000000008001019c 00 KEY_PREVIOUS devinput-32
> >00000000800100ae 00 KEY_EXIT devinput-32
> >000000008001006a 00 KEY_RIGHT devinput-32
> >0000000080010067 00 KEY_UP devinput-32
> >0000000080010069 00 KEY_LEFT devinput-32
> >000000008001006c 00 KEY_DOWN devinput-32
> >0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
> >0000000080010201 00 KEY_NUMERIC_1 devinput-32
> >0000000080010202 00 KEY_NUMERIC_2 devinput-32
> >0000000080010203 00 KEY_NUMERIC_3 devinput-32
> >0000000080010204 00 KEY_NUMERIC_4 devinput-32
> >0000000080010205 00 KEY_NUMERIC_5 devinput-32
> >0000000080010206 00 KEY_NUMERIC_6 devinput-32
> >0000000080010207 00 KEY_NUMERIC_7 devinput-32
> >0000000080010208 00 KEY_NUMERIC_8 devinput-32
> >0000000080010209 00 KEY_NUMERIC_9 devinput-32
> >000000008001020a 00 KEY_NUMERIC_STAR devinput-32
> >000000008001020b 00 KEY_NUMERIC_POUND devinput-32
>
> OK, your remote is using the name devinput-32 instead of devinput or
> devinput-64. Just a name change required to match the name in your
> $HOME/.lirc/* files. That is easier than changing the names in all
> the entries in the $HOME/.lirc/* files. They are probably using the
> name devinput. And your numeric keys are using KEY_NUMERIC_* instead
> of the KEY_* used in the $HOME/.lirc/*. There are a few other key
> names that will also not match. See the modified rc6_mce file in the
> download from my server.

maybe getting closer. in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/devinput.lircd.conf I
changed:
name devinput-64
name devinput-32

However I do not have a $HOME/.lirc/ directory.
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 May 2020 15:07:17 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 2:44 PM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 May 2020 14:36:19 -0400, you wrote:

>> this
>> >output:
>> >
>> > 0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
>> >00000000800100cf 00 KEY_PLAY devinput-32
>> >00000000800100cf 00 KEY_PLAY devinput-32
>> >0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
>> >0000000080010080 00 KEY_STOP devinput-32
>> >0000000080010077 00 KEY_PAUSE devinput-32
>> >0000000080010197 00 KEY_NEXT devinput-32
>> >000000008001019c 00 KEY_PREVIOUS devinput-32
>> >00000000800100ae 00 KEY_EXIT devinput-32
>> >000000008001006a 00 KEY_RIGHT devinput-32
>> >0000000080010067 00 KEY_UP devinput-32
>> >0000000080010069 00 KEY_LEFT devinput-32
>> >000000008001006c 00 KEY_DOWN devinput-32
>> >0000000080010160 00 KEY_OK devinput-32
>> >0000000080010201 00 KEY_NUMERIC_1 devinput-32
>> >0000000080010202 00 KEY_NUMERIC_2 devinput-32
>> >0000000080010203 00 KEY_NUMERIC_3 devinput-32
>> >0000000080010204 00 KEY_NUMERIC_4 devinput-32
>> >0000000080010205 00 KEY_NUMERIC_5 devinput-32
>> >0000000080010206 00 KEY_NUMERIC_6 devinput-32
>> >0000000080010207 00 KEY_NUMERIC_7 devinput-32
>> >0000000080010208 00 KEY_NUMERIC_8 devinput-32
>> >0000000080010209 00 KEY_NUMERIC_9 devinput-32
>> >000000008001020a 00 KEY_NUMERIC_STAR devinput-32
>> >000000008001020b 00 KEY_NUMERIC_POUND devinput-32
>>
>> OK, your remote is using the name devinput-32 instead of devinput or
>> devinput-64. Just a name change required to match the name in your
>> $HOME/.lirc/* files. That is easier than changing the names in all
>> the entries in the $HOME/.lirc/* files. They are probably using the
>> name devinput. And your numeric keys are using KEY_NUMERIC_* instead
>> of the KEY_* used in the $HOME/.lirc/*. There are a few other key
>> names that will also not match. See the modified rc6_mce file in the
>> download from my server.
>>

>maybe getting closer. in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/devinput.lircd.conf I
>changed:
> name devinput-64
> name devinput-32

Not quite right, I think. There should be two tables in your
devinput.lircd.conf file, named devinput-64 and devinput-32. Your
keycodes are matching the devinput-32 table, so that is the one you
want to rename to devinput. The table name is used for output to the
lirc socket that irw and MythTV connects to, not for input matching.
The matching of the input in lircd is according to the protocol
setting lines also at the top of each table.

>However I do not have a $HOME/.lirc/ directory.

Download the file in my other post. The files are in there. They use
the name devinput for their input matching of data received from the
lirc socket.

See /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf for the name of the lirc socket
("output =").
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 3:24 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 May 2020 15:07:17 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 2:44 PM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> if

> >> this

> >> OK, your remote is using the name devinput-32 instead of devinput or
> >> devinput-64. Just a name change required to match the name in your
> >> $HOME/.lirc/* files. That is easier than changing the names in all
> >> the entries in the $HOME/.lirc/* files. They are probably using the
> >> name devinput. And your numeric keys are using KEY_NUMERIC_* instead
> >> of the KEY_* used in the $HOME/.lirc/*. There are a few other key
> >> names that will also not match. See the modified rc6_mce file in the
> >> download from my server.
> >>

> >maybe getting closer. in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/devinput.lircd.conf I
> >changed:
> > name devinput-64
> > name devinput-32
>
> Not quite right, I think. There should be two tables in your
> devinput.lircd.conf file, named devinput-64 and devinput-32. Your
> keycodes are matching the devinput-32 table, so that is the one you
> want to rename to devinput. The table name is used for output to the
> lirc socket that irw and MythTV connects to, not for input matching.
> The matching of the input in lircd is according to the protocol
> setting lines also at the top of each table.
>
> >However I do not have a $HOME/.lirc/ directory.
>
> Download the file in my other post. The files are in there. They use
> the name devinput for their input matching of data received from the
> lirc socket.
>
> See /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf for the name of the lirc socket
> ("output =").

Sorry for the confusion on my part. back on mythbuntu 14 and 16 I had to do
none of this get my MCE remote working.

So I have the 2 tables in devinput.lirc.conf
name devinput-64 and
name devinput-32 which is now renames to
name devinput
The files I downloaded from your server had a number of lines proceeding
each section with a lot of garbage like:
-^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^

Are the files still good?
Jim A
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 4:00 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 3:24 PM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 May 2020 15:07:17 -0400, you wrote:

>> if

>> >maybe getting closer. in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/devinput.lircd.conf I
>> >changed:
>> > name devinput-64
>> > name devinput-32
>>
>> Not quite right, I think. There should be two tables in your
>> devinput.lircd.conf file, named devinput-64 and devinput-32. Your
>> keycodes are matching the devinput-32 table, so that is the one you
>> want to rename to devinput. The table name is used for output to the
>> lirc socket that irw and MythTV connects to, not for input matching.
>> The matching of the input in lircd is according to the protocol
>> setting lines also at the top of each table.
>>
>> >However I do not have a $HOME/.lirc/ directory.
>>
>> Download the file in my other post. The files are in there. They use
>> the name devinput for their input matching of data received from the
>> lirc socket.
>>
>> See /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf for the name of the lirc socket
>> ("output =").
>>

> Sorry for the confusion on my part. back on mythbuntu 14 and 16 I had to
> do none of this get my MCE remote working.
>
> So I have the 2 tables in devinput.lirc.conf
> name devinput-64 and
> name devinput-32 which is now renames to
> name devinput
> The files I downloaded from your server had a number of lines proceeding
> each section with a lot of garbage like:
> -^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^
>
> Are the files still good?
> Jim A

I should just say "never mind" :-)
I found what is called an Air Mouse remote (
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Air_mouse_rf_remote) I had bought ($15) for
another application on a Raspberry Pi. I decided to try that on Mythtv
Frontend on the Ubuntu PC. I should have started with that.
I just plugged in the receiver and it worked as described on the mythtv
wiki page. so far I have only used "Edit Keys" Function to redefine the
Home key to Escape.

I like being able to have a Qwerty keyboard on the other side of the remote.

For now, I'll just throw the MCE remote and receiver back in the attic.

Thanks for your help as always.

Jim A
Re: licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On 5/12/20 7:02 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 5/12/20 5:04 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>
>>> I should just say "never mind" :-)
>>> I found  what is called an Air Mouse remote (
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Air_mouse_rf_remote) I had bought ($15) for
>>> another application on a Raspberry Pi.  I decided to try that on Mythtv
>>> Frontend on the Ubuntu PC. I should have started with that.
>>> I just plugged in the receiver and it worked as described on the mythtv
>>> wiki page. so far I have only used "Edit Keys" Function to redefine the
>>> Home key to Escape.
>>>
>>> I like being able to have a Qwerty keyboard on the other side of the
>>> remote.
>>>
>>> For now, I'll just throw the MCE remote and receiver back in the attic.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help as always.
>>>
>> Mmm. I found it necessary to map the Home key on my Chinese-knockoff
>> MCE remote to "M" for Menu.
>>
>> Does that remote of yours have a separate Menu button?
>
> My air mouse is just like the one on the mythtv air mouse wiki page
> photo, except for the color of some of the buttons. Mine has a qwerty
> backlighted keyboard. The wiki suggested mapping the home to esc so
> that's what I tried.
>
> Jim A
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Air_mouse_rf_remote

Just a last comment on switching to the air mouse.  Since I had a lot of
residual lirc stuff laying around I decided to do a clean install of
Xubuntu 20.04 and just use the Air mouse,
(https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Air_mouse_rf_remote).

Now I found that some of the buttons could not be used on the Air mouse
in mythtv, Edit Keys. They were being trapped by the Desktop
environment.  On Xubuntu there is a setting app for Keyboards that
control if the Desktop grabs the button before the apps, like mythtv. I
removed Home, WWW, Information buttons from Xubuntu and then I could use
then in Mythtv by configuring Edit Keys in Setup.

I reconfigured one button in XFCE4 Keyboard settings to launch mythtv,
that way, if I'm using the Desktop, I can launch Mythtv without using
the pointer function of the Air Mouse which can be a challenge.

Jim A