Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Raspberry Pi 4 FrontEnd Remote Control Issues [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:01:07 -0500, you wrote:

>OK, tried without the quote marks (config = echo pswd blah-blah-blah).
>Nothing, nothing... about to check journalctl and MythTV pops up!!
>Woohoo!!!!

Yes, mythfrontend does take a while before it shows on screen these
days. You do not notice if it just pops up during the boot process,
but if you push a button and then have to wait...

>Shutdown, power switch off, ? power up ? at Desktop, push button ? still
>works! Yea!!!!
>

>Thank you!! Barry

And I have learnt a bit about RPis too - no /tmp directory - sheesh
how does that work? There is heaps of software that relies on having
/tmp available. Including stuff I write.
Re: Raspberry Pi 4 FrontEnd Remote Control Issues [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephen!

> Yes, mythfrontend does take a while before it shows on screen these
> days. You do not notice if it just pops up during the boot process,
> but if you push a button and then have to wait...
Yes, “noticed” it usually takes a short while for the wired ‘regular’
computers too. The little RPi doing quite a job, especially as I’m also
making it do it all over the 5G WiFi.

Haven’t moved it downstairs yet but in the meantime installed VNC on it
so if the remote control fails or I accidentally get somewhere where
don’t have a remote button to push I can try up here.

> And I have learnt a bit about RPis too - no /tmp directory - sheesh
> how does that work? There is heaps of software that relies on having
> /tmp available. Including stuff I write.

I have one: it’s at /home/pi/tmp. The problem may be if the user (pi) is
changed so is that portion of the pathname. <Playing> OK: – and
presuming you know all this stuff better than I ever will --

ls tmp     Wants to look at a file called tmp

ls /tmp Looking at the subdir

ls /home/pi/tmp     Didn’t work. (I was thinking you could use
/home/$USER/tmp)

...Not a permissions issue: I just wrote a test file of
/tmp/Stephen.txt. You didn’t do like I’ve done and absentmindedly type
‘temp’?!

Barry

1 2  View All