thanks
James
PS https://code.mythtv.org/buildbot/#/builders/131
Re: osx frontend [ In reply to ]
A full log of my attempts are here:
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3728

I have done a fairly detailed compare of the configure output and built .
Also the build script has been updated quite a bit from my last email on
this list.

At this point I suspect my case sensitive filesystem is to blame (probably
VideoToolbox related). I haven't been successful getting a VM with a
non-case sensitive filesystem up and running yet. When I do (hopefully
this weekend), I'll test the theory a bit more.
Re: osx frontend [ In reply to ]
On 5/8/20 5:56 AM, John Hoyt wrote:
> A full log of my attempts are here:
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3728
>
> I have done a fairly detailed compare of the configure output and built .
> Also the build script has been updated quite a bit from my last email on
> this list.
>
> At this point I suspect my case sensitive filesystem is to blame (probably
> VideoToolbox related). I haven't been successful getting a VM with a
> non-case sensitive filesystem up and running yet. When I do (hopefully
> this weekend), I'll test the theory a bit more.

I'll add some ansible "requests for information" on the forum
in the link above.

--
Bill
Re: osx frontend [ In reply to ]
Thanks Bill. I'll post some responses as soon as I get the chance (and
back to that computer)
Re: osx frontend [ In reply to ]
> On 8 May 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> A full log of my attempts are here:
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3728
>
> I have done a fairly detailed compare of the configure output and built .
> Also the build script has been updated quite a bit from my last email on
> this list.
>
> At this point I suspect my case sensitive filesystem is to blame (probably
> VideoToolbox related). I haven't been successful getting a VM with a
> non-case sensitive filesystem up and running yet. When I do (hopefully
> this weekend), I'll test the theory a bit more.

I can’t think of a polite way of describing non cases sensitive systems/users so a non CS file system is not a solution that would work for moi
Thanks
James
Re: osx frontend [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2020-05-09 at 08:33 +0800, Blue wrote:
> > On 8 May 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
> >
> > A full log of my attempts are here:
> > https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3728
> >
> > I have done a fairly detailed compare of the configure output and
> > built .
> > Also the build script has been updated quite a bit from my last
> > email on
> > this list.
> >
> > At this point I suspect my case sensitive filesystem is to blame
> > (probably
> > VideoToolbox related). I haven't been successful getting a VM with
> > non-case sensitive filesystem up and running yet. When I do
> > (hopefully
> > this weekend), I'll test the theory a bit more.
>
> I can’t think of a polite way of describing non cases sensitive
> systems/users so a non CS file system is not a solution that would
> work for moi

Commit 00b8defa6d fixed the case sensitive issue for VideoToolBox and
was back ported to v31. See if that helps. If so, I can back port it
to v30.

David

Re: osx frontend [ In reply to ]
David, I'm the person who reported the bug and provided the patch file. It
did fix the compile bug. It did not fix the segfault issues on playback
(for 31).

I have managed to get mythfrontend 31 to compile and work in a non-case
sensitive filesystem with Xcode 11.3 (matching the buildbot environment
closely in a VM). Unfortunately, the compiled app doesn't work on my
intended target system (case sensitive filesystem with Xcode 11.4).

I am currently downgrading to Xcode 11.3 to see if that fixes the segfault
issues on the case sensitive system. If not, the only remaining variable
that causes the issue is the case sensitive file systems...

Re: osx frontend [ In reply to ]
Success! I managed to get v31 built and running videos on my
case-sensitive system using Xcode 11.3.1.

I have posted a .dmg file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/01fah35o6wvsl8r/mythfrontend-31.dmg?dl=0

I suspect that Xcode 11.4 introduces a world of issues that the devs will
have to work through when they upgrade the buildbot. I may play around
with my non-case sensitive VM by upgrading it to Xcode 10.4 and see if the
issues are isolated to case sensitive systems.
Re: osx frontend [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2020-05-09 at 05:58 -0400, John Hoyt wrote:
> Success! I managed to get v31 built and running videos on my case-
> sensitive system using Xcode 11.3.1.

Glad you got it to work.

> I suspect that Xcode 11.4 introduces a world of issues that the devs
> will have to work through when they upgrade the buildbot. I may play
> around with my non-case sensitive VM by upgrading it to Xcode 10.4
> and see if the issues are isolated to case sensitive systems.

After four days of staring at a hybrid python/C++ project and chasing a
problem from the python code across the dbus to the C++ code and back
across the dbus to the python code, only to find the crux of the
problem was a single constant that needed to be a byte string not a
unicode string, I think I'm going to wait a while before upgrading the
project osx builder and tackling any Xcode 11.4 issues. I may go ahead
and upgrade the builder to Mac OS 10.15.4 since your logs show that
you're running that version, but Xcode is going to have to wait. :-)

> I may play around with my non-case sensitive VM by upgrading it to
> Xcode 10.4 and see if the issues are isolated to case sensitive
> systems.

Please let us know if you have any success with Xcode 10.4, either on
case sensitive or case in-sensitive file systems.

David

Re: osx frontend [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 10:09 AM David Hampton <mythtv@love2code.net> wrote:

> > I may play around with my non-case sensitive VM by upgrading it to
> > Xcode 10.4 and see if the issues are isolated to case sensitive
> > systems.
>
> Please let us know if you have any success with Xcode 10.4, either on
> case sensitive or case in-sensitive file systems.

Well, I just finished getting mythfrontend-31 compiled with Xcode 10.4 on a
non-case sensitive filesystem and everything appears to be working without
segfaults in the non-case sensitive VM and my real case-sensitive system.

I guess there's some unknown gremlins when compiling with Xcode 10.4 on a
case sensitive file system. After chasing this down for weeks, I'm not
quite sure what to do next as this level of troubleshooting is way out of
my experience base.