Mailing List Archive

IR Blaster with Spectrum STB
Is any using an IR blaster with the following equipment? I just got
Spectrum and cannot find a working solution to change channels.
I have 2 rs232 serial blasters that worked with uverse but for some
reason are not working well so I'm thinking about building a
multi-blaster from a raspberry pi. I can get lirc working but when I try
to record the codes from the remote, all I get is zeroes:

begin remote

name s4
bits 0
flags CONST_LENGTH
eps 0
aeps 0

one 0 0
zero 0 0
gap 50000
toggle_bit_mask 0x0
frequency 38000

begin codes
BTN_1 0x0
BTN_2 0x0
end codes

end remote

The STBs are an Arris DCX3200 and DCX3220
The remotes are URC1160.

Please help, my Myth system is completely broken right now.
Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On 5/5/20 5:45 PM, mythtv wrote:
> Is any using an IR blaster with the following equipment? I just got
> Spectrum and cannot find a working solution to change channels.
> I have 2 rs232 serial blasters that worked with uverse but for some
> reason are not working well so I'm thinking about building a
> multi-blaster from a raspberry pi. I can get lirc working but when I try
> to record the codes from the remote, all I get is zeroes:
>
> begin remote
>
> name s4
> bits 0
> flags CONST_LENGTH
> eps 0
> aeps 0
>
> one 0 0
> zero 0 0
> gap 50000
> toggle_bit_mask 0x0
> frequency 38000
>
> begin codes
> BTN_1 0x0
> BTN_2 0x0
> end codes
>
> end remote
>

> The STBs are an Arris DCX3200 and DCX3220
> The remotes are URC1160.
>
> Please help, my Myth system is completely broken right now.

I use a pair of DCX3200's  with Spectrum,but I use Fire wire on one and
a rs232 changer called MyBlaster (no longer available) on the other..
This setup works flawlessly,and it takes LIRC out of the picture.. What
are your RS232 devices? When I first got mine more than 15 years ago, I
had problems with permissions on the serial ports,so I would look there
first... One  other problem I encountered was I needed to add dialout to
my groups..

Greg

Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On 5/6/20 8:27 AM, Greg wrote:

> On 5/5/20 5:45 PM, mythtv wrote:
>> Is any using an IR blaster with the following equipment? I just got
>> Spectrum and cannot find a working solution to change channels.
>> I have 2 rs232 serial blasters that worked with uverse but for some
>> reason are not working well so I'm thinking about building a
>> multi-blaster from a raspberry pi. I can get lirc working but when I try
>> to record the codes from the remote, all I get is zeroes:
>>
>> begin remote
>>
>>    name  s4
>>    bits            0
>>    flags CONST_LENGTH
>>    eps             0
>>    aeps            0
>>
>>    one             0     0
>>    zero            0     0
>>    gap          50000
>>    toggle_bit_mask 0x0
>>    frequency    38000
>>
>>        begin codes
>>            BTN_1                    0x0
>>            BTN_2                    0x0
>>        end codes
>>
>> end remote
>>

>> The STBs are an Arris DCX3200 and DCX3220
>> The remotes are URC1160.
>>
>> Please help, my Myth system is completely broken right now.
>
> I use a pair of DCX3200's  with Spectrum,but I use Fire wire on one and
> a rs232 changer called MyBlaster (no longer available) on the other..
> This setup works flawlessly,and it takes LIRC out of the picture.. What
> are your RS232 devices? When I first got mine more than 15 years ago, I
> had problems with permissions on the serial ports,so I would look there
> first... One  other problem I encountered was I needed to add dialout to
> my groups..
>
> Greg

My only problem is that I don't have the lircd.conf file with the actual
codes of the remote. When I use lirc/irrecord to create the conf file, I
end up with every button just having a zero code for it. So in the end,
no matter what button I push or send, it all appears to be the same
button. (See above with the 0x0). I just need a decent conf file that
has the correct codes for the box. My actual ir blaster hardware is fine.
Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]

Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
>>> $2 per month per card but I have no cable box to mess with. Just an additional thought

Just a note, cable card does not support on-demand.

Doug
Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 6, 2020, 11:47 AM Doug Lytle <support@drdos.info> wrote:

> additional thought
>
> Just a note, cable card does not support on-demand.
>
> Doug

Correct but that's what I have a Roku or fire stick etc for all the other
streaming services including the Spectrum app.

Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 11:01 -0500, mythtv wrote:
> On 5/6/20 8:27 AM, Greg wrote:
> >
> > On 5/5/20 5:45 PM, mythtv wrote:
> > > Is any using an IR blaster with the following equipment? I just
> > > got
> > > Spectrum and cannot find a working solution to change channels.
> > > I have 2 rs232 serial blasters that worked with uverse but for
> > > some
> > > reason are not working well so I'm thinking about building a
> > > multi-blaster from a raspberry pi. I can get lirc working but
> > > when I try
> > > to record the codes from the remote, all I get is zeroes:

Not that this helpful for you, I have Spectrum (originally Brighthouse)
and when the change occurred, they switched out all the set-top boxes,
but NOT the remnotes....

My original LIRC config still works, with any of the bozes they have
sent me.
It's below:
begin remote

name BHN
bits 22
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 30
aeps 100
header 3337 3378
one 820 2540
zero 820 817
ptrail 820
gap 100786
toggle_bit 0
min_repeat 2
duty_cycle 50
frequency 56000

begin codes
POWER 0x37C107
GUIDE 0x36C127
MENU 0x36F920
INFO 0x36213B
UP 0x36812F
DOWN 0x37A10B
LEFT 0x37810F
RIGHT 0x364137
SELECT 0x366133
OK 0x366133
PAGEUP 0x36D924
PAGEDOWN 0x37D904
HELP 0x376912
SETTINGS 0x373918
EXIT 0x366932
A 0x37E902
B 0x36193C
C 0x37191C
LAST 0x36E123
FAV 0x37F101
DAYMINUS 0x0E163D
DAYPLUS 0x0FE603
CHUP 0x377111
CHDOWN 0x36F121
One 0x36113D
Two 0x37111D
Three 0x36912D
Four 0x37910D
Five 0x365135
Six 0x375115
Seven 0x36D125
Eight 0x37D105
Nine 0x363139
Zero 0x373119
ENTER 0x363139
REW 0x37291A
PLAY 0x37990C
FF 0x36293A
REC 0x375914
STOP 0x365934
PAUSE 0x374117
end codes

end remote

Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On 5/6/20 12:57 PM, James B Huber wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 11:01 -0500, mythtv wrote:

> Not that this helpful for you, I have Spectrum (originally Brighthouse)
> and when the change occurred, they switched out all the set-top boxes,
> but NOT the remnotes....
>
> My original LIRC config still works, with any of the bozes they have
> sent me.
> It's below:

Well, I was hopeful, but I plugged these codes into lirc and they had no
effect. I appreciate you sending them though.
Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On 5/6/20 11:22 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:

> Or you could take the easy route and get a hdhomerun prime unit and
> get a cable card. I have 2 prime units working on Spectrum, they do
> charge me $2 per month per card but I have no cable box to mess
> with. Just an additional thought....

I'll definitely look into this. Spectrum offered me cablecards so if SD
ever releases the 6 I may have to go this route.
Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On 5/6/20 11:22 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:

> Or you could take the easy route and get a hdhomerun prime unit and
> get a cable card. I have 2 prime units working on Spectrum, they do
> charge me $2 per month per card but I have no cable box to mess
> with. Just an additional thought....

If I'm reading the wiki correctly, the HDHR Prime will not allow me to
record any non-copy-freely shows? Is that correct?
Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
Bon !!!! ÇA SUFFIT MERDE!!!! j'en veux plus de votre télé à la con!!!
Putain !!!! C'est quoi ce délire ? Mais foutez moi la paix bon sang. Je
n'écris pas anglais !!! D'accord. Je ne veux plus recevoir aucun email de
votre part. C'est compris ?

Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
Vous faites chier. Google translate vous traduira

Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
Au lieu de ne cesser de vous raconter toutes ces conneries réfléchissez
plutôt à la situation qui vous attend dans bientôt

Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 06:03:42PM -0500, mythtv wrote:
> On 5/6/20 11:22 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> >

> > Or you could take the easy route and get a hdhomerun prime unit and
> > get a cable card. I have 2 prime units working on Spectrum, they do
> > charge me $2 per month per card but I have no cable box to mess
> > with. Just an additional thought....
> >
> If I'm reading the wiki correctly, the HDHR Prime will not allow me to
> record any non-copy-freely shows? Is that correct?

That is correct and you'll likely find that most of your channels on
Spectrum are not copy-freely.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 10:15 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 06:03:42PM -0500, mythtv wrote:
> > On 5/6/20 11:22 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> > >

> > > Or you could take the easy route and get a hdhomerun prime unit and
> > > get a cable card. I have 2 prime units working on Spectrum, they do
> > > charge me $2 per month per card but I have no cable box to mess
> > > with. Just an additional thought....
> > >
> > If I'm reading the wiki correctly, the HDHR Prime will not allow me to
> > record any non-copy-freely shows? Is that correct?
>
> That is correct and you'll likely find that most of your channels on
> Spectrum are not copy-freely.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david@istwok.net
>
> I think that depends on your location, most if not all of the original
Charter locations are copy freely except for the premium channels, HBO
etc. I have been running 2 prime units on Charter/Spectrum on basic and
all of the channels are copy freely for years now Charter bought Time
Warner when they became Spectrum and I think the original Time Warner areas
were not copy freely so it depends on the market you are in.
Re: IR Blaster with Spectrum STB [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 10:34:46PM -0500, Tom Bishop wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 10:15 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> > > If I'm reading the wiki correctly, the HDHR Prime will not allow me to
> > > record any non-copy-freely shows? Is that correct?
> >
> > That is correct and you'll likely find that most of your channels on
> > Spectrum are not copy-freely.
> >
> > David
> > --
> > David Engel
> > david@istwok.net
> >
> > I think that depends on your location, most if not all of the original
> Charter locations are copy freely except for the premium channels, HBO
> etc. I have been running 2 prime units on Charter/Spectrum on basic and
> all of the channels are copy freely for years now Charter bought Time
> Warner when they became Spectrum and I think the original Time Warner areas
> were not copy freely so it depends on the market you are in.

Time Warner Cable was bigger than Charter at the time of the merger,
and as far as I know, the non copy-freely settings still stand in the
former TWC areas. Ergo, random Spectrum user today is more likely
than not going to have copy restrictions.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net