Mailing List Archive

MythTV-Setup will not open
Perhaps a few caveats first, just in case:
I'm running Proxmox on my host, with a container running Ubuntu 20.04.
I've managed to give that container access to my TV Tuner card, which
is working (using 'scan' for DVB channels, etc).
I've installed MythTV 31 from the PPA and migrated my database across
from an old installation.
Mythtv Backend has run and upgraded the database. It appears to be
running OK, but hasn't yet been configured with the new tuners.

So - my actual problem. I simply can't get mythtv-setup to run and
open the GUI. When I run it, it asks me to stop the backend, so I
supply my password and the backend stops. It then pretty much
immediately asks if I want to start the backend again and run
mythfilldatabase. The GUI never appears.

I initially tried this using X-Forwarding over SSH and Xming (I'm on a
Windows desktop, with Myth running on a separate PC).

I then installed vncserver and set up XFCE to run in a vnc session as
my user (who is in the mythtv user group). I can run MythFrontend and
it connects to the backend fine and shows me my old recordings. But I
still get the same problem running mythtv-setup.

I can't find any logs being generated from mythtv-setup. There is no
visual output (except for the above) and no command-line output from
mythtv-setup either. Is there a way to debug it, or perhaps something
really obvious that I'm doing wrong?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Re: MythTV-Setup will not open [ In reply to ]
On 03/05/2020 11:20, Karl Buckland wrote:

> Perhaps a few caveats first, just in case:
> I'm running Proxmox on my host, with a container running Ubuntu 20.04.
> I've managed to give that container access to my TV Tuner card, which
> is working (using 'scan' for DVB channels, etc).
> I've installed MythTV 31 from the PPA and migrated my database across
> from an old installation.
> Mythtv Backend has run and upgraded the database. It appears to be
> running OK, but hasn't yet been configured with the new tuners.
>
> So - my actual problem. I simply can't get mythtv-setup to run and
> open the GUI. When I run it, it asks me to stop the backend, so I
> supply my password and the backend stops. It then pretty much
> immediately asks if I want to start the backend again and run
> mythfilldatabase. The GUI never appears.
>
> I initially tried this using X-Forwarding over SSH and Xming (I'm on a
> Windows desktop, with Myth running on a separate PC).
>
> I then installed vncserver and set up XFCE to run in a vnc session as
> my user (who is in the mythtv user group). I can run MythFrontend and
> it connects to the backend fine and shows me my old recordings. But I
> still get the same problem running mythtv-setup.
>
> I can't find any logs being generated from mythtv-setup. There is no
> visual output (except for the above) and no command-line output from
> mythtv-setup either. Is there a way to debug it, or perhaps something
> really obvious that I'm doing wrong?
>
> Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

On Ubuntu mythtv-setup is renamed to mythtv-setup.real and mythtv-setup
is just a script that tries to stop the backend then runs
mythtv-setup.real then tries to restart the backend again. It sounds
like mythtv-setup.real is failing to run for some reason.

I would try stopping the backend and then try running in a terminal
mythtv-setup.real to see why it's failing.

Paul H.

Re: MythTV-Setup will not open [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 11:41, Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> On 03/05/2020 11:20, Karl Buckland wrote:
>
> > Perhaps a few caveats first, just in case:
> > I'm running Proxmox on my host, with a container running Ubuntu 20.04.
> > I've managed to give that container access to my TV Tuner card, which
> > is working (using 'scan' for DVB channels, etc).
> > I've installed MythTV 31 from the PPA and migrated my database across
> > from an old installation.
> > Mythtv Backend has run and upgraded the database. It appears to be
> > running OK, but hasn't yet been configured with the new tuners.
> >
> > So - my actual problem. I simply can't get mythtv-setup to run and
> > open the GUI. When I run it, it asks me to stop the backend, so I
> > supply my password and the backend stops. It then pretty much
> > immediately asks if I want to start the backend again and run
> > mythfilldatabase. The GUI never appears.
> >
> > I initially tried this using X-Forwarding over SSH and Xming (I'm on a
> > Windows desktop, with Myth running on a separate PC).
> >
> > I then installed vncserver and set up XFCE to run in a vnc session as
> > my user (who is in the mythtv user group). I can run MythFrontend and
> > it connects to the backend fine and shows me my old recordings. But I
> > still get the same problem running mythtv-setup.
> >
> > I can't find any logs being generated from mythtv-setup. There is no
> > visual output (except for the above) and no command-line output from
> > mythtv-setup either. Is there a way to debug it, or perhaps something
> > really obvious that I'm doing wrong?
> >
> > Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
>

> On Ubuntu mythtv-setup is renamed to mythtv-setup.real and mythtv-setup
> is just a script that tries to stop the backend then runs
> mythtv-setup.real then tries to restart the backend again. It sounds
> like mythtv-setup.real is failing to run for some reason.
>
> I would try stopping the backend and then try running in a terminal
> mythtv-setup.real to see why it's failing.
>

> Paul H.

And just like that - mythtv-setup.real opens immediately. Thank you!

Doesn't really explain why the normal mythtv-setup script won't work,
but at least I can set things up now.