mode and installed a new 18.04 beside the original and it still won't boot
the original, same message and shell. Is there a way to repair this? TIA
Daryl
Re: Boot-Bungle [ In reply to ]
---- On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 18:20:49 +0100 darylangela@gmail.com wrote ----

Greetings Mythizens, wanting to incrementally play with the new beta release 20.04 I installed it alongside my working 18.04/0.29 myth system, however, install was UEFI beside Legacy, so 18.04 wouldn't boot. So I used OS-uninstaller to expunge 20.04 and 18.04 still won't boot I see a message"cx25840 11-0044: firmware v4l cx23885-avcore-01 fw load failed", then immediately into emergency mode. I reset my BIOS to only accept Legacy mode and installed a new 18.04 beside the original and it still won't boot the original, same message and shell. Is there a way to repair this?   TIA  Daryl

Hello,
I'm happy to stand corrected but I'd assume the firmware error is a red herring, that's not something that would usually cause a failed boot.

On you original attempt to make room for the new install, how did you do that?

It sounds to me that your original root partition can not be found.

This may be down to it now having a different partition number.

You probably need to get a live usb running and examine where grub.cfg is expecting to find your root partition, and compare that to where it actually is.
Re: Boot-Bungle [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 2:23 PM Richard Lane <lists@timeforabrew.com> wrote:

> ---- On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 18:20:49 +0100 * darylangela@gmail.com
> <darylangela@gmail.com> * wrote ----
>
> Greetings Mythizens, wanting to incrementally play with the new beta
> release 20.04 I installed it alongside my working 18.04/0.29 myth system,
> however, install was UEFI beside Legacy, so 18.04 wouldn't boot. So I used
> OS-uninstaller to expunge 20.04 and 18.04 still won't boot I see a
> message"cx25840 11-0044: firmware v4l cx23885-avcore-01 fw load failed",
> then immediately into emergency mode. I reset my BIOS to only accept Legacy
> mode and installed a new 18.04 beside the original and it still won't boot
> the original, same message and shell. Is there a way to repair this? TIA
> Daryl
>

> Hello,
> I'm happy to stand corrected but I'd assume the firmware error is a red
> herring, that's not something that would usually cause a failed boot.
>
> On you original attempt to make room for the new install, how did you do
> that?
>
> It sounds to me that your original root partition can not be found.
>
> This may be down to it now having a different partition number.
>
> You probably need to get a live usb running and examine where grub.cfg is
> expecting to find your root partition, and compare that to where it
> actually is.

Indeed a red herring, once I soldiered along remaking my entire system, I
could boot neither system once I cloned my /etc/fstab into the new system,
commenting out allowed a boot of the original. So now I need to go t
school. I've since uncommented Storage 1 and 2 but have no recollection of
the bottom two entries: (***)
UUID=d07e4c90-c5b0-4897-8809-b719f78c9514 / ext4
errors=remount-ro 0 1
/swapfile none swap sw
0 0

LABEL=storage1 /mnt/storage1 ext4 defaults 0 2

#LABEL=storage2 /mnt/storage2 ext4 defaults 0 2

LABEL=storage3 /mnt/storage3 ext4 defaults 0 2
***/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic_Mass-Storage-0:0
/mnt/usb-Generic_Mass-Storage-0:0 auto
nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-gvfs-show 0 0
***/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ATAPI_iHBS112_2_2512014_226142502850
/mnt/ata-ATAPI_iHBS112_2_2512014_226142502850 auto
nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Where the 3*'s have been added afterwards I had #'s as well as ahead of
Storage1&2, I mounted Storage1&2 with disks... I need some understanding
here, please.