Mailing List Archive

running mythfilldatabase as part of mythtv-setup?
Historically, I could not start, stop, or run mythfilldatabase as a part
of mythtv-setup.

Now that I'm using v31 start and stop work perfectly when using
mythtv-setup, but what about mythfilldatabase?

I'm setup with a standard Ubuntu install for mythtv but run mythtv-setup
as my normal user, jim. So I've always let mythtv-backend run
mythfilldatabase except when I do maintenance. Then I run it as user mythtv.

So the basic question is: if I am running mythtv-setup as 'jim', can I
select run mythfilldatabase on exit and have it run as user 'mythtv'?

Or should I continue to select not to run it and then login as 'mythtv'
and run mythfilldatabase?

Jim A

Re: running mythfilldatabase as part of mythtv-setup? [ In reply to ]
Le 25.04.20 à 13:23, Jim Abernathy a écrit :
> Historically, I could not start, stop, or run mythfilldatabase as a part
> of mythtv-setup.
>
> Now that I'm using v31 start and stop work perfectly when using
> mythtv-setup, but what about mythfilldatabase?
>
> I'm setup with a standard Ubuntu install for mythtv but run mythtv-setup
> as my normal user, jim. So I've always let mythtv-backend run
> mythfilldatabase except when I do maintenance. Then I run it as user
> mythtv.
>
> So the basic question is: if I am running mythtv-setup as 'jim', can I
> select run mythfilldatabase on exit and have it run as user 'mythtv'?

AFAIK, if you have the xmltv config file in your /home/jim/.mythtv
directory (or a link to the one of the mythtv user), mythfilldatabase
should run fine.

I used to test the xmltv stuff as my "normal" user, and once all was as
liked, I copied the xmltv config file to the /home/.../.mythtv of the
user running mythtv.

Yann
Re: running mythfilldatabase as part of mythtv-setup? [ In reply to ]
On 4/26/20, Yann Lehmann <aristide@free-it.ch> wrote:
> Le 25.04.20 à 13:23, Jim Abernathy a écrit :
>> Historically, I could not start, stop, or run mythfilldatabase as a part
>> of mythtv-setup.
>>
>> Now that I'm using v31 start and stop work perfectly when using
>> mythtv-setup, but what about mythfilldatabase?
>>
>> I'm setup with a standard Ubuntu install for mythtv but run mythtv-setup
>> as my normal user, jim. So I've always let mythtv-backend run
>> mythfilldatabase except when I do maintenance. Then I run it as user
>> mythtv.
>>
>> So the basic question is: if I am running mythtv-setup as 'jim', can I
>> select run mythfilldatabase on exit and have it run as user 'mythtv'?
>>

> AFAIK, if you have the xmltv config file in your /home/jim/.mythtv
> directory (or a link to the one of the mythtv user), mythfilldatabase
> should run fine.
>
> I used to test the xmltv stuff as my "normal" user, and once all was as
> liked, I copied the xmltv config file to the /home/.../.mythtv of the
> user running mythtv.
>
> Yann

I used to occasionally run mythfilldatabase as my regular user on
occasion, but since switching to SDJSON (tv_grab_zz_sdjson in my
case), I tend to always run it as the mythtv user (often by using "su
- mythtv" as root). While it should work as you're regular user
assuming the xmltv config is there and correct, there are some other
things to consider. For example, any icons that may get downloaded
will be going to your own home and not to the one that MythTV will be
using.

Not a big deal really, but I prefer knowing that I'm running it in the
exact same manner as MythTV does.

Tom
Re: running mythfilldatabase as part of mythtv-setup? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020, 1:17 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/26/20, Yann Lehmann <aristide@free-it.ch> wrote:
> > Le 25.04.20 à 13:23, Jim Abernathy a écrit :
> >> Historically, I could not start, stop, or run mythfilldatabase as a part
> >> of mythtv-setup.
> >>
> >> Now that I'm using v31 start and stop work perfectly when using
> >> mythtv-setup, but what about mythfilldatabase?
> >>
> >> I'm setup with a standard Ubuntu install for mythtv but run mythtv-setup
> >> as my normal user, jim. So I've always let mythtv-backend run
> >> mythfilldatabase except when I do maintenance. Then I run it as user
> >> mythtv.
> >>
> >> So the basic question is: if I am running mythtv-setup as 'jim', can I
> >> select run mythfilldatabase on exit and have it run as user 'mythtv'?
> >>

> > AFAIK, if you have the xmltv config file in your /home/jim/.mythtv
> > directory (or a link to the one of the mythtv user), mythfilldatabase
> > should run fine.
> >
> > I used to test the xmltv stuff as my "normal" user, and once all was as
> > liked, I copied the xmltv config file to the /home/.../.mythtv of the
> > user running mythtv.
> >
> > Yann
>
> I used to occasionally run mythfilldatabase as my regular user on
> occasion, but since switching to SDJSON (tv_grab_zz_sdjson in my
> case), I tend to always run it as the mythtv user (often by using "su
> - mythtv" as root). While it should work as you're regular user
> assuming the xmltv config is there and correct, there are some other
> things to consider. For example, any icons that may get downloaded
> will be going to your own home and not to the one that MythTV will be
> using.
>
> Not a big deal really, but I prefer knowing that I'm running it in the
> exact same manner as MythTV does.
>
> Tom

Good info. I think I'll continue to exit mythtv-setup without running
mythfilldatabase. Then sudo su mythtv before running it if needed.

Jim A