box with one identifier, you have to invoke "new tuner" twice to pick up both tuners. So far so
good, created a new source for them and attached them to it.

I have then tried to scan for channels and can only pick up DVB-T but not DVB-T2. Now the carton
itself claims HD reception and that's what I bought it as, but it won't find any T2 multiplexes.

I've tried the "Scan extra Transports" tickbox but that does nothing extra.

Please, which chicken do I need to sacrifice to get the T2 muxes?

--

Mike Perkins

Re: HD Homerun in the UK [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:13 AM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> I've just received a HDHomerun Connect Duo which is intended to replace my
> defective PC-TV 290e.
>
> Installing it was a doddle and then I'm into configuring it. I remembered
> that, despite it being one
> box with one identifier, you have to invoke "new tuner" twice to pick up
> both tuners. So far so
> good, created a new source for them and attached them to it.
>
> I have then tried to scan for channels and can only pick up DVB-T but not
> DVB-T2. Now the carton
> itself claims HD reception and that's what I bought it as, but it won't
> find any T2 multiplexes.
>
> I've tried the "Scan extra Transports" tickbox but that does nothing extra.
>
> Please, which chicken do I need to sacrifice to get the T2 muxes?
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I have no clue what T and T2 are, but if you load up the hdhomerun
hdhomerun-gui packages, you can see what the device scans and finds outside
of MythtTVso you can narrow it's capabilities down.

-Greg
Re: HD Homerun in the UK [ In reply to ]
On 24/04/2020 17:11, Mike Perkins wrote:
> I've just received a HDHomerun Connect Duo which is intended to
> replace my defective PC-TV 290e.
>
> Installing it was a doddle and then I'm into configuring it. I
> remembered that, despite it being one box with one identifier, you
> have to invoke "new tuner" twice to pick up both tuners. So far so
> good, created a new source for them and attached them to it.
>
> I have then tried to scan for channels and can only pick up DVB-T but
> not DVB-T2. Now the carton itself claims HD reception and that's what
> I bought it as, but it won't find any T2 multiplexes.
>
> I've tried the "Scan extra Transports" tickbox but that does nothing
> extra.
>
> Please, which chicken do I need to sacrifice to get the T2 muxes?

I am in the UK and have 4 tuner version Connect Quatro running latest
firmware and mythtv fixes/31 (and master)

Model: HDHR5-4DT
Device ID: 1251E907
Firmware: 20200225

This has a built-in web interface at whatever ip address is assigned by
your router.

Assuming the Connect Duo also has a built-in web server you can run a
channel scan outside of mythtv to see what channels are found.

Using your web browser go  the the ip address and click on Channel Scan,
there should then be an option to Detect Channels

The web interface allows firmware update (which may be necessary)

You can also use a utility hdhomerun_config (sudo apt install
hdhomerun-config on Ubuntu/Debian systems) to run a manual scan in a
terminal session

hdhomerun_config <ip address>  scan 0

hdhomerun_config <ip Address> get /sys/features will list capabilities e.g.

mike@mike-GL62-7QF:~$ hdhomerun_config 192.168.0.214 get /sys/features
channelmap: eu-bcast au-bcast tw-bcast
modulation: t8dvbt2 t7dvbt2 t6dvbt2 t8dvbt t7dvbt t6dvbt
auto-modulation: auto auto8t auto7t auto6t

Mike
Re: HD Homerun in the UK [ In reply to ]
On 24/04/2020 17:11, Mike Perkins wrote:

> I've just received a HDHomerun Connect Duo which is intended to replace my
> defective PC-TV 290e.
>
> Installing it was a doddle and then I'm into configuring it. I remembered
> that, despite it being one box with one identifier, you have to invoke "new
> tuner" twice to pick up both tuners. So far so good, created a new source
> for them and attached them to it.
>
> I have then tried to scan for channels and can only pick up DVB-T but not
> DVB-T2. Now the carton itself claims HD reception and that's what I bought
> it as, but it won't find any T2 multiplexes.
>
> I've tried the "Scan extra Transports" tickbox but that does nothing
> extra.
>
> Please, which chicken do I need to sacrifice to get the T2 muxes?
>
> Bear in mind that HD and DVB-T2 are not necessarily the same thing, it's
just the way the UK went. A lot of countries transmit HD (720/1080) over
DVB-T. Most countries don't use DVB-T2.

I used to live in the UK and had a 290e for T2. I'm now in Australia, and
our HD channels are all on the DVB-T protocol, we don't use DVB-T2.
Re: HD Homerun in the UK [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 18:13, Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> I've just received a HDHomerun Connect Duo which is intended to replace my
> defective PC-TV 290e.
>
> Installing it was a doddle and then I'm into configuring it. I remembered
> that, despite it being one
> box with one identifier, you have to invoke "new tuner" twice to pick up
> both tuners. So far so
> good, created a new source for them and attached them to it.
>
> I have then tried to scan for channels and can only pick up DVB-T but not
> DVB-T2. Now the carton
> itself claims HD reception and that's what I bought it as, but it won't
> find any T2 multiplexes.
>

> Are you sure that you have not found all multiplexes? If you do a "Full
Scan" with mythtv-setup you should find all multiplexes and all services.
What could be confusing is that, only with the HDHomeRun tuners, the
console output of mythtv-setup lists all transports found as dvb-t even
when they are dvb-t2.

Klaas.
Re: HD Homerun in the UK [ In reply to ]
On 25/04/2020 09:00, Klaas de Waal wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 18:13, Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk
> <mailto:mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>> wrote:
>
> I've just received a HDHomerun Connect Duo which is intended to
> replace my defective PC-TV 290e.
>
> Installing it was a doddle and then I'm into configuring it. I
> remembered that, despite it being one
> box with one identifier, you have to invoke "new tuner" twice to
> pick up both tuners. So far so
> good, created a new source for them and attached them to it.
>
> I have then tried to scan for channels and can only pick up DVB-T
> but not DVB-T2. Now the carton
> itself claims HD reception and that's what I bought it as, but it
> won't find any T2 multiplexes.
>

> Are you sure that you have not found all multiplexes? If you do a "Full
> Scan" with mythtv-setup you should find all multiplexes and all
> services. What could be confusing is that, only with the HDHomeRun
> tuners, the console output of mythtv-setup lists all transports found as
> dvb-t even when they are dvb-t2.
>
> Klaas.

I haven't seen an HDHomerun Connect, but the website does say it does
both DVB-T and DVB-T2. I don't know how similar its MythTV interface
is to devices that don't haave network addresses.

ISTR that Mike can receive from several transmitters and has had a
strategy that has let him select the ones he wanted to use. TTBOMK
unknown DVB-T2 transports will not be found by 'all known transports'
scans, but Klaas's recent work has made 'full scans' in master much more
user-friendly. I think that applies to fixes/31 too, but probably not
earlier.

I'll add that last weekend I lost one of my DVB-T2 transports: all
scans reported no lock although the TV played it fine (746 MHz BBC News
HD). Then it came back... Presumably it will move later in the 700 MHz
clearance program.

John P

Re: Was: HD Homerun in the UK [ In reply to ]
Hi Klaas: I'm sending this offline - a chanscan log with the MyGica
device and today's master. It's again failing to lock on the 746 MHz
DVB-T2 mux while the tv gives a flawless picture. Earlier scans found
channels at offset +1, but later ones see neither. I tried the 'new'
import facility after the first scan, and that may have spoiled things.
Or, I suppose, the weather might be causing interference from more
distant transmitters; I think the 746/754 MHz slots are being used more
generally, but the tv makes that seem unlikely.

It looks as if the DVB-T/DVB-T2 labels around here

2020-04-28 16:28:14.762563 I SaveScan() scan.size(): 8

are not reliable - and there should be 9 transports. I have tried
changing those labels with the Transport Editor, but they don't stick.

Best wishes,

John

Re: Was: HD Homerun in the UK [ In reply to ]
Let's say - I intended to send it offline. Sorry.