Mailing List Archive

Nvidia upgrade
I have been using a fanless Nvidia GT220 video card (Asus Bravo 220)
for many years now, but recently I have downloaded some 4k videos and
found that most of them would not play properly. Yesterday I finally
upgraded to a new GT1030 card (Asus GT1030-SL-2G-BRK):

https://www.asus.com/nz/Graphics-Cards/GT1030-SL-2G-BRK/

and upgraded my Nvidia drivers to the latest matching version in
Ubuntu 18.04:

sudo ubuntu-drivers install

I had to do that via an ssh connection, as the old drivers would not
work with the new card after I rebooted with it installed.

I did not change my MythTV v30 settings at all (using VDPAU for
everything), and now all the 4k videos I have tried are playing fine.
My TV is also ancient, 1080p only, so the Nvidia card will be doing a
4k to 1080p conversion on the fly. I am very pleased with the result,
especially not having to mess about with my settings. So I would
definitely recommend an upgrade like this.